Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teach_write_research

I'm sure this has been posted before - TFW when you forget you have multiple tabs open in the LMS, score everything, and then notice that none of the scores registered.

apl68

Quote from: secundem_artem on February 06, 2021, 11:06:54 AM
Tungsten = milligrams?

Not a familiar concept to me either.

When you're making a batch of steel, I'd think you'd want more than just milligrams of tungsten.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

FishProf

Face to face class.  85% of students show up. 

Remainder send email:  I can't find the Zoom link.

Well, Duh.  There isn't one for a f2f class.  AND the syllabus clearly specifies BBCollaborate for remote stuff (like Student Hours, or help sessions)
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

the_geneticist

Quote from: FishProf on February 09, 2021, 09:11:09 AM

Well, Duh.  There isn't one for a f2f class.  AND the syllabus clearly specifies BBCollaborate for remote stuff (like Student Hours, or help sessions)

And this is one reason I'm not looking forward to Fall.  I just really, really hope that the Department can make it really clear before students register whether a class is in-person ONLY or remote ONLY.  No weird hybrid/flexible nonsense. 

FishProf

It was REALLY CLEAR.

Luckily, I just found out that we will be in-person, f2f in the fall with no Social Distancing. 

If you'd like to be just like FishProfU. I am happy to share the formula.....
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

bacardiandlime

Somebody save me from yet another essay that opens "from the beginning of time, man has....." or "Webster's dictionary defines x as...."

Today I discovered that "religion means a belief in a superhuman being".

apl68

Quote from: bacardiandlime on February 09, 2021, 10:09:55 AM
Somebody save me from yet another essay that opens "from the beginning of time, man has....." or "Webster's dictionary defines x as...."

Quoting the dictionary that way annoys me to no end.  And so many article and book writers do it!

QuoteToday I discovered that "religion means a belief in a superhuman being".

Okay...if your definition of religion insists on some sort of deity(s), that's not exactly wrong....
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

bacardiandlime

Quote from: apl68 on February 09, 2021, 10:26:12 AM
Okay...if your definition of religion insists on some sort of deity(s), that's not exactly wrong....

Kinda misses faiths like Shinto which are animistic. Seems to assume a monotheistic worldview....

mamselle

Or lotsa Marvel Universe folks...sometimes I don't think they get the difference between transcendent beings and superheroes...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: bacardiandlime on February 09, 2021, 01:32:15 PM
Quote from: apl68 on February 09, 2021, 10:26:12 AM

Kinda misses faiths like Shinto which are animistic. Seems to assume a monotheistic worldview....

Hence the "if" there.

Langue_doc

Quote from: Langue_doc on February 05, 2021, 06:28:06 AM

I'm banging my head as I just spent half an hour writing an email to two cheaters who submitted identical assignments. I had to painstakingly flag the numerous errors and typos. Both students write that "X decibels himself after leaving Y". I asked Stus to explain this sentence as well as the often hilarious other errors.

Update on cheaters who despite evidence to the contrary claim not to have cheated and want the assignment to be graded.

I should have reported both students for cheating (our institution comes down heavily on cheaters and plagiarists), but softie that I am, gave them the option of accepting the zero or letting the higher-ups decide whether or not their identical assignments would be considered to be cheating.

The head bang is for responding to the emails and giving both Stus another chance.

mamselle

You have to find a place from which to like yourself for being firm with people when it's clear they've erred.

It's not about being proud to be mean or anything, it's just about keeping the world spinning as evenly as it can without wobbling.

Accountability (as we're now seeing in the Senate) is a hard lesson to learn late.

Much better they learn it early.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Chemystery

Quote from: the_geneticist on February 09, 2021, 09:41:01 AM
Quote from: FishProf on February 09, 2021, 09:11:09 AM

And this is one reason I'm not looking forward to Fall.  I just really, really hope that the Department can make it really clear before students register whether a class is in-person ONLY or remote ONLY.  No weird hybrid/flexible nonsense.

My school has a policy that any in-person component must have an online alternative.  The intent, of course, was so that students who are in quarantine or students with health issues or other concerns that would otherwise not be able to take the course have an option.  In actuality, our students have used this as a way to sign up for classes that would normally conflict with each other.  We are planning to be back to "normal" in the fall.  I'm afraid that this year's freshmen are going to have a hard time adjusting both to learning that they can only take one class in a given timeslot and that there will not automatically be an alternative option if they choose not to show up.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Trying to not bang my head on the wall...

Two students want to EMAIL me their lab reports. Of course, I said, 'Hell no!' in the nicest way possible. I don't want to deal with the CF of moving files, etc.

So, now I just got an email saying that the system isn't letting them submit another file. Don't know why. They have unlimited attempts and everything is saved. Everyone else in this lab section, except for the two of you figured it out.

Ugh!