Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mythbuster on February 24, 2021, 12:53:38 PM
Since it's a math issue- do you have a math tutoring center on campus that you can send them too?
   I agree about refusing to teach via email. Remind Stu of when your office hours are and how to make an appointment if those don't work. This is passive-aggressive blaming of you for their problems.
  I would also make sure my chair is in the loop at this point. This is exactly the type of student who likes to jump up the chain. Last semester I had one who initiated a phone calling campaign to my chair by several of their friends. He was NOT amused and threatened them with disciplinary action based on how pushy/bullying they were in their phone calls!

Yep. I responded to the student and let stu know that we also have a TA for the course who holds sessions going over material online. So, pleeeennnnty of resources.

Dang! Yep. Students do some crazy stuff. Sounds like the chair shut that down fast. I plan to email my chair in a few minutes.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Double-post.

I have not heard back from the student who wanted me to hold weekly synchronous classes in an asynchronous course. I'm sure I'll get some kind of crappy evaluation from stu saying that I wouldn't 'work' with students.

This summer is still virtual and I may create some kind of course introduction pdf that really goes into how the course is asynchronous (and what that means), etc. I mean, it's in the syllabus, but I doubt they're reading it. Not sure they would read the extra pdf, but I can try.

We're heading back in the fall (face-to-face), so it should be interesting.

the_geneticist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 03, 2021, 09:41:26 AM
Double-post.

I have not heard back from the student who wanted me to hold weekly synchronous classes in an asynchronous course. I'm sure I'll get some kind of crappy evaluation from stu saying that I wouldn't 'work' with students.

This summer is still virtual and I may create some kind of course introduction pdf that really goes into how the course is asynchronous (and what that means), etc. I mean, it's in the syllabus, but I doubt they're reading it. Not sure they would read the extra pdf, but I can try.

Maybe make a "Welcome to Class!" video.  Students are very likely to watch a short video.  Plus, it's an actual demonstration of what "asynchronous" means since you aren't live-streaming the video.

traductio

Not teaching despair so much as teaching puzzlement.

I'm grading midterm papers. They are all mediocre, but so it goes.

One pattern I'm seeing (that I have seen in other classes, too) is that students are choosing to cite obscurely published versions of the articles or book chapters I assign (in little known anthologies, for example), instead of the originals, despite the fact that next to the title of each reading in the syllabus is a link (blue, underlined, and labeled "link") that, if they click on it, will take them directly to a PDF through the library website.

In other words, instead of clicking on the link I've provided (one click, or perhaps a second depending on how the library stores the document), they're -- what -- googling the author and title (always abbreviated on my syllabi, at any rate) and searching for free PDFs housed elsewhere? I'm deeply puzzled -- I arrange my readings so they have free access to everything through the library.

What gives?

Charlotte

Quote from: traductio on March 03, 2021, 10:41:20 AM

In other words, instead of clicking on the link I've provided (one click, or perhaps a second depending on how the library stores the document), they're -- what -- googling the author and title (always abbreviated on my syllabi, at any rate) and searching for free PDFs housed elsewhere? I'm deeply puzzled -- I arrange my readings so they have free access to everything through the library.

What gives?

My guess is that they are using a citation generator so they don't have to look up how to cite it themselves. There are websites you can type in the title and the website writes the citation up according to the specified style (MLA, APA, etc.).

I'm seeing some really odd citations because of this.

traductio

Quote from: Charlotte on March 03, 2021, 11:20:15 AM

What gives?

My guess is that they are using a citation generator so they don't have to look up how to cite it themselves. There are websites you can type in the title and the website writes the citation up according to the specified style (MLA, APA, etc.).

That could be. I've seen enough citations of the same documents in the same weird ways to investigate whether they're using the auto-generated citations from the publishers (all of which are in the Sage / Routledge / etc. family), and it's clear that despite my warnings about their inaccuracies, a number of students are going that route.

I'm still puzzled by the ones who find the anthologized versions and then cite those page numbers, too. It just seems like extra work for everyone (me for incorporating the links in the first place, them for doubling up my work).

It would help if I had a few more "A" papers to read, though. I feel like I'm grumpy because these papers are just blah. Not terrible, at least, but, well, blah.

apl68

The students are probably feeling pretty blah, by and large.  Lot of that going around this year.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: the_geneticist on March 03, 2021, 10:36:13 AM
Double-post.

Maybe make a "Welcome to Class!" video.  Students are very likely to watch a short video.  Plus, it's an actual demonstration of what "asynchronous" means since you aren't live-streaming the video.

I like this idea!

traductio

Quote from: apl68 on March 03, 2021, 01:08:06 PM
The students are probably feeling pretty blah, by and large.  Lot of that going around this year.

So true! I've been trying to cut them some slack. I think the average on my midterms will be in the low-B range. We'll make it through.

ciao_yall

Quote from: traductio on March 03, 2021, 01:39:59 PM
Quote from: apl68 on March 03, 2021, 01:08:06 PM

So true! I've been trying to cut them some slack. I think the average on my midterms will be in the low-B range. We'll make it through.

Yes. I blame online teaching. The dropoff is really high this year because they don't have the focused connections they usually have. And they are just not learning as much. So there.

the_geneticist

I am slightly dreading my Spring quarter.  I'm teaching a Freshman class.  On the plus side, they've had a year of remote classes in high school and 2 quarters on online college so they should be comfortable with online classes.  On the minus side, the prerequisite classes were all asynchronous and many were self-paced.  This one is taught "live" on Zoom.  I'm pulling out a lot from my bag of tricks to make the materials more interactive and fun.

teach_write_research

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 03, 2021, 01:19:29 PM
Double-post.

I like this idea!

You could also put some spin on it and highlight that you hold "synchronous student help hours". Heck you could even rebrand for the rest of your term. Dear Students, I am re-opening my office hours as synchronous student help hours. Looking forward to you dropping in, small groups welcome!

Then we can start a betting pool on whether or not the student ever attends?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: teach_write_research on March 03, 2021, 06:19:24 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 03, 2021, 01:19:29 PM
Double-post.

I like this idea!

You could also put some spin on it and highlight that you hold "synchronous student help hours". Heck you could even rebrand for the rest of your term. Dear Students, I am re-opening my office hours as synchronous student help hours. Looking forward to you dropping in, small groups welcome!

Then we can start a betting pool on whether or not the student ever attends?

:)

darkstarrynight

Quote from: traductio on March 03, 2021, 11:30:25 AM

What gives?

That could be. I've seen enough citations of the same documents in the same weird ways to investigate whether they're using the auto-generated citations from the publishers (all of which are in the Sage / Routledge / etc. family), and it's clear that despite my warnings about their inaccuracies, a number of students are going that route.

I'm still puzzled by the ones who find the anthologized versions and then cite those page numbers, too. It just seems like extra work for everyone (me for incorporating the links in the first place, them for doubling up my work).

It would help if I had a few more "A" papers to read, though. I feel like I'm grumpy because these papers are just blah. Not terrible, at least, but, well, blah.

I provide the citations for all course readings at the end of my syllabus in a reference list formatted by the stylistic guidelines used in my field. Students often decide to ignore what I provided and make up their own citations. I have no idea why.

traductio

Quote from: darkstarrynight on March 04, 2021, 09:05:17 AM
Quote from: traductio on March 03, 2021, 11:30:25 AM

What gives?

I provide the citations for all course readings at the end of my syllabus in a reference list formatted by the stylistic guidelines used in my field. Students often decide to ignore what I provided and make up their own citations. I have no idea why.

That gets to the heart of the puzzle! I'm pretty sure that would happen if I gave them a list, too.

It's useful for me sometimes to recall that students lead lives that remain secret to us (just as we led lives secret to our professors) and that their motivations, from their perspective, are completely rational. I try to bear this in mind as I read their work, a practice that I hope makes me a more generous interlocutor.