Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teach_write_research

Ah, right, I was not thinking of the financial aid requirements. Much more manageable as just documenting an end of term last date attended. Next despair, determining that the enrolled student is the person actually submitting the work...

the_geneticist

Quote from: teach_write_research on April 05, 2021, 02:50:00 PM
Ah, right, I was not thinking of the financial aid requirements. Much more manageable as just documenting an end of term last date attended. Next despair, determining that the enrolled student is the person actually submitting the work...

How would you make that determination?  If you suspect dishonesty, then shouldn't you just pass it off to the conduct folks?   Also, if the student isn't going to pass, then why waste your time on a "what if"?

Anon1787

Quote from: the_geneticist on April 05, 2021, 09:57:29 AM

I do have a small army of TAs who teach the lab sections and do the grading, but they do not have access to the necessary information or forms to handle registration issues.

At least you have a small army of TAs. I pity those who don't.

teach_write_research

Quote from: the_geneticist on April 05, 2021, 03:00:24 PM
Quote from: teach_write_research on April 05, 2021, 02:50:00 PM

How would you make that determination?  If you suspect dishonesty, then shouldn't you just pass it off to the conduct folks?   Also, if the student isn't going to pass, then why waste your time on a "what if"?

If you have conduct folks to pass it to that would be an option.
The student scheduled an appointment with me so I will start with a conversation.

You ask an interesting question about checking for dishonesty when students aren't likely to pass. Should we skip it or do we still go through the whole reporting process?

marshwiggle

Quote from: teach_write_research on April 05, 2021, 10:06:39 PM
You ask an interesting question about checking for dishonesty when students aren't likely to pass. Should we skip it or do we still go through the whole reporting process?

Given all of the bother involved, I wouldn't bother. (Clearly, a student who put in that little effort isn't cheating in a manner which is likely to result in academic success.)

If there were a way to report suspicions, accompanied by documentation, that would be considered if further instances came up, it would be much more reasonable to report. As it is, if the reporting causes a complicated, time-consuming and adversarial process, it's simply not worth it.
It takes so little to be above average.

AvidReader

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 06, 2021, 03:47:19 AM
Quote from: teach_write_research on April 05, 2021, 10:06:39 PM

Given all of the bother involved, I wouldn't bother. (Clearly, a student who put in that little effort isn't cheating in a manner which is likely to result in academic success.)

This is interesting because a fairly new online school for which I taught for a while has been going through its accreditation process, and one of the requirements is that faculty must check to make sure that each student in each class is the enrolled student (photo or video verification matched to a government ID). However, my current brick and mortar school with hybrid and hyflex classes for COVID has no such guidelines. I can see photos of about half my students through the university registration system, but the students were allowed/asked to upload their own photos this year to avoid long lines in front of the ID office. When I see the students in class, their faces are covered by masks. When students attend online, many keep their cameras off. If a student wanted to send in a ringer, it would be the easiest thing in the world to do so at any stage of the process.

AR.

FishProf

Online meeting with Pre-Physician Assistant student.  Who doesn't want to get the vaccine because........just doesn't wanna.

I confess, I wasn't my usual patient and nurturing self.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

the_geneticist

The default settings in Blackboard have changed.  I used to be able to have the site automatically send a reminder email when an assignment became available.  The students really, really like this feature!
But now I can't!  I can have it post an Announcement, but I can't tell it to email about said announcement because the "date selected is in the future".  Yes, I know it's in the future!  I want the email send in the future!  You know, when the d@mn assignment is available!

evil_physics_witchcraft

I don't know if this is the best place, but I just got an email from a student who has made my semester 'interesting.'

Stu literally writes that stu found out today that stu lost two children, a wife and a dog in a 'tragic boating accident' and would like an extension on the homework.

Now, if this is true, then yes, it's horrific and I would certainly allow extra time. However, I am very skeptical considering the history I have had with this student and what stu thinks is 'funny.' How would you approach this?

Langue_doc

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 06, 2021, 08:28:22 PM
I don't know if this is the best place, but I just got an email from a student who has made my semester 'interesting.'

Stu literally writes that stu found out today that stu lost two children, a wife and a dog in a 'tragic boating accident' and would like an extension on the homework.

Now, if this is true, then yes, it's horrific and I would certainly allow extra time. However, I am very skeptical considering the history I have had with this student and what stu thinks is 'funny.' How would you approach this?

I would be very sympathetic but at the same time copy the advisor or your chair. You could tell the student that you are copying the advisor so that the student can give them the documentation regarding the tragedy.

arcturus

I also would be sympathetic in my response and include information about how they can get help through whatever office at your university that deals with student issues. My school has an office for students in crisis (or possible crisis), where the student talks with just one person in that office and that person then reaches out to all of the student's professors, so the student does not have to keep repeating their story to lots of different people. They handle students with a range of issues, from death in the family to roomate squabbles. I would not indicate any actual change in deadlines or requirements in my response to the student, but simply state that you will work with them (the student) and the student-in-crisis-office to find the best path forward in these difficult times.

I would then, myself, report the student to our student-in-crisis office, because they are in crisis whether the story is true or if they have made it up.

downer

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 06, 2021, 08:28:22 PM

If true, it would have been on the news.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Puget

Quote from: arcturus on April 06, 2021, 10:15:55 PM
I also would be sympathetic in my response and include information about how they can get help through whatever office at your university that deals with student issues. My school has an office for students in crisis (or possible crisis), where the student talks with just one person in that office and that person then reaches out to all of the student's professors, so the student does not have to keep repeating their story to lots of different people. They handle students with a range of issues, from death in the family to roomate squabbles. I would not indicate any actual change in deadlines or requirements in my response to the student, but simply state that you will work with them (the student) and the student-in-crisis-office to find the best path forward in these difficult times.

I would then, myself, report the student to our student-in-crisis office, because they are in crisis whether the story is true or if they have made it up.

This is exactly what I do-- if the student is really in crisis, they are grateful that the care team has been activated (they often are too stressed to remember they can do this themselves). If they are not, they back peddle swiftly (has only happened once or twice).

I agree in this case the story seems unlikely, and even more unlikely that if it was true their first thought would be assignment extensions. However, it is also odd behavior if the student is just looking for an excuse (why not just kill off a grandparent like normal?) so as arcturus suggests that in itself may warrant an alert on the student-- my report would simply state what the student had told me, note that I don't know that it is true or not, and provide any context on other odd student behavior you've observed. Keep the tone observational and non-judgmental. Then let the experts sort it out from there.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Good points. Thanks everyone. My instinct was to check the news and I saw nada, rien, zip, zilch- big fat goose egg (interthreaduality?).

But..... just in case, I will cc the proper authorities when I respond to kidlet.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Puget on April 07, 2021, 06:16:23 AM
Quote from: arcturus on April 06, 2021, 10:15:55 PM

This is exactly what I do-- if the student is really in crisis, they are grateful that the care team has been activated (they often are too stressed to remember they can do this themselves). If they are not, they back peddle swiftly (has only happened once or twice).

I agree in this case the story seems unlikely, and even more unlikely that if it was true their first thought would be assignment extensions. However, it is also odd behavior if the student is just looking for an excuse (why not just kill off a grandparent like normal?) so as arcturus suggests that in itself may warrant an alert on the student-- my report would simply state what the student had told me, note that I don't know that it is true or not, and provide any context on other odd student behavior you've observed. Keep the tone observational and non-judgmental. Then let the experts sort it out from there.

I have had a few other interactions with this student and 'odd' is an appropriate descriptor of stu's behavior.