Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: FishProf on May 04, 2021, 03:41:40 AM
I had a "review session" for a class last night.  As I told them, repeatedly, in advance:  You have to ask questions.  If you don't ask questions, the meeting ends.  If you run out of questions, the meeting ends.

We met for 4 minutes.

They can't help it if they already have it all down.  Should be an easy exam to grade, right?
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

FishProf

Quote from: apl68 on May 04, 2021, 10:50:14 AM
Quote from: FishProf on May 04, 2021, 03:41:40 AM
I had a "review session" for a class last night.  As I told them, repeatedly, in advance:  You have to ask questions.  If you don't ask questions, the meeting ends.  If you run out of questions, the meeting ends.

We met for 4 minutes.

They can't help it if they already have it all down.  Should be an easy exam to grade, right?

Based on history, it'll take a bottle and a half.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

fishbrains

Quote from: Diogenes on May 04, 2021, 07:26:36 AM
Students goes to Dean of Students and my direct supervisor to say I'm "out to get them." Their words. They failed to mentioned they missed 7 weeks in a row. That was easily cleared up.

These are actually kind of fun--as long as you have a decent dean and supervisor.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

the_geneticist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 03, 2021, 12:00:18 PM
Quote from: the_geneticist on May 03, 2021, 10:40:29 AM
I've been meeting with students who used Chegg on their exam (despite explicit instructions that using Chegg or similar site is considered cheating and will result in an F).

To a person they are SHOCKED that I caught them.  Mostly shocked that I BOTHERED to catch them. Their attitude is that online classes mean that everyone is cheating anyway, regardless of any proctoring.

I wish there was a way that we could anonymously survey the students to get data to show the higher admin folks that students see online classes as an invitation to cheat.

I really, really hope that my classes are back to in person in Fall so that it's back to the staring at students while they take exams in person.

Daaamn. Really makes you wonder what the point of teaching (online) is sometimes....

And I've just filed reports for 7 more who viewed answers while taking the exam.

Now to contact the ones who also used it for their assignments.  Some of the questions are so darn basic that it's honestly insulting that they are asking for assistance (You have learned about 3 main types of [elements in basket patterns].  Here is a [basket pattern].  Please find and circle examples of the element in the pattern).   A student who either paid attention in class or bothered to look at the posted slides should easily be able to answer the question.

kiana

Quote from: the_geneticist on May 05, 2021, 09:45:31 AM
Now to contact the ones who also used it for their assignments.  Some of the questions are so darn basic that it's honestly insulting that they are asking for assistance (You have learned about 3 main types of [elements in basket patterns].  Here is a [basket pattern].  Please find and circle examples of the element in the pattern).   A student who either paid attention in class or bothered to look at the posted slides should easily be able to answer the question.

In beginning algebra, I have notetaking guides for them to complete. They are fill in the blank and mostly to ensure they at least OPENED the fucking video.

People google them. Seriously. It is a sentence with blanks taken word-for-word from what I said in the video which is CAPTIONED, and you are so damn lazy you can't turn on closed captioning and fast-forward?

the_geneticist

Wow.  That's an impressive amount of work to avoid, you know, doing work.

AvidReader

Quote from: kiana on May 05, 2021, 09:55:10 AM
Quote from: the_geneticist on May 05, 2021, 09:45:31 AM

In beginning algebra, I have notetaking guides for them to complete. They are fill in the blank and mostly to ensure they at least OPENED the fucking video.

People google them. Seriously. It is a sentence with blanks taken word-for-word from what I said in the video which is CAPTIONED, and you are so damn lazy you can't turn on closed captioning and fast-forward?

A recent open-book reading quiz:
Which of the following are true of the article by [author] assigned for class today?

1) It is one page long
2) It has more than three paragraphs
3) It includes parenthetical citations
4) It has a works cited page
5) The title is [title]
6) The author is [not author]

Not one student got this entirely correct. They had two tries. More than half picked all as true the first time and all as false the second time, which averaged out (in both cases) to 0 points, since 3 were true and 3 were not.

AR.

the_geneticist

OK, I think I might need to create a list or video of things are are considered academic dishonesty for my students.
Posting exam questions, even if you "didn't have enough time to get all of the answers"
Letting someone else use your Chegg.com account while they take an exam 
Using Chegg.com to "double check" your answer if you're unsure
Looking at answers to all of the exam questions because you're "going through a crisis"
Only using it for answers to some of the questions, but not all of them

I hate my new pandemic hobby of chasing down academic dishonesty.  And this class will be online again in Summer.

kiana

Quote from: the_geneticist on May 05, 2021, 01:39:26 PM
OK, I think I might need to create a list or video of things are are considered academic dishonesty for my students.
Posting exam questions, even if you "didn't have enough time to get all of the answers"
Letting someone else use your Chegg.com account while they take an exam 
Using Chegg.com to "double check" your answer if you're unsure
Looking at answers to all of the exam questions because you're "going through a crisis"
Only using it for answers to some of the questions, but not all of them

I hate my new pandemic hobby of chasing down academic dishonesty.  And this class will be online again in Summer.

Same, except it's fucking photomath for me. And I'll be teaching online again in summer. FML.

Langue_doc

This seems to be my hobby too. I've filed more reports this semester than in the past 10 or so semesters.

onehappyunicorn

Quote from: Langue_doc on May 05, 2021, 02:33:16 PM

This seems to be my hobby too. I've filed more reports this semester than in the past 10 or so semesters.
We are about to have a school wide reckoning with plagiarism. It's been unevenly enforced

spork

Quote from: onehappyunicorn on May 05, 2021, 02:41:59 PM
Quote from: Langue_doc on May 05, 2021, 02:33:16 PM

We are about to have a school wide reckoning with plagiarism. It's been unevenly enforced

You might discover that some students have been purchasing boilerplate or bespoke essays since high school. My wife discovered this recently, due to the stupidity of the students she caught. "But I've been getting help from the same 'writing tutor' since high school, and so has Josh."
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Parasaurolophus

Whelp. Looks like all my (times!) exams are on Chegg. Sigh.

Guess I should make trap questions, or demand a share of the revenue or something.
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

Can you post incorrect answers?  I always though that would be a fun way to thwart the cheating
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

kiana

Quote from: FishProf on May 07, 2021, 03:40:58 AM
Can you post incorrect answers?  I always though that would be a fun way to thwart the cheating

Other things that can be done:

Change the question so that it's superficially similar, but the Chegg answer is wrong.
Search Chegg for good questions in your discipline (people write excellent questions!) with wrong answers. Put those questions on the test.

What I like about these two approaches is that while they will screw over anyone who's Chegging it, honest students are not harmed.