Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

*Fantasy response sung to the tune of the Daria theme song*

You need to drop the course.

La la la.

You haven't done any work.

You need to drop the courrrsssse.

La la la la la.

evil_physics_witchcraft

More head banging and I'm not even listening to metal. Ba dum bum!

Anyway, a student turned in a lab report with 885 % error. Hmm. Stu also reported a measurement from a graph, but there's no graph on this report.

Sigh. These lab reports are seriously depressing the hell out of me.

mamselle

And these are the folks who will become the bench scientists who will design and test our vaccines in the future.

Just to put it all in a more cheerful context...

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on July 01, 2021, 04:59:17 PM
And these are the folks who will become the bench scientists who will design and test our vaccines in the future.

Just to put it all in a more cheerful context...

;--}

M.

I really hope not. Well, I hope that their critical thinking skills improve by at least 885%.

kiana

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 01, 2021, 07:19:45 PM
I really hope not. Well, I hope that their critical thinking skills improve by at least 885%.

And 885% of 0 is ...

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: kiana on July 02, 2021, 09:19:03 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 01, 2021, 07:19:45 PM

And 885% of 0 is ...

Lol. I don't think their skills are nonexistent (close maybe), but I get your point.

Langue_doc

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 01, 2021, 04:13:25 PM

Anyway, a student turned in a lab report with 885 % error. Hmm. Stu also reported a measurement from a graph, but there's no graph on this report.

EPW, I hereby award you "The Most Head Banged Professor of the Year" medal of honor.

ETA Hope you have better students next semester.

mythbuster

Grrr. My pandemic incomplete student just won't go away! Over one year after getting an incomplete because student got stuck in a Caribbean country over Spring Beak 2020 (not a smart move!), I now have a panicked email about why do I have an F?! It's because you only get 1 year to complete the remaining assignments! If it were up to me you would only get 2 months!

Thankfully I can now dump her on the Dean of Students.  She really should just retake the class at this point I sincerely doubt that she remembers any of it.

fishbrains

Quote from: mythbuster on July 02, 2021, 10:47:40 AM
Grrr. My pandemic incomplete student just won't go away! Over one year after getting an incomplete because student got stuck in a Caribbean country over Spring Beak 2020 (not a smart move!), I now have a panicked email about why do I have an F?! It's because you only get 1 year to complete the remaining assignments! If it were up to me you would only get 2 months!

Thankfully I can now dump her on the Dean of Students.  She really should just retake the class at this point I sincerely doubt that she remembers any of it.

Wowsers. Just . . .  wowsers!
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Langue_doc on July 02, 2021, 10:43:35 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 01, 2021, 04:13:25 PM

EPW, I hereby award you "The Most Head Banged Professor of the Year" medal of honor.

ETA Hope you have better students next semester.

Lol. Thanks.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Daaaaang!

dr_codex

Facing a mini-version of this. Stu failed the class months ago, but "only just now" noticed that Stu had "an incomplete".

To say that Stu took a lot for granted, including a passing grade, would be an understatement.
back to the books.

AmLitHist

Mine should commence a-screamin' in a couple of weeks--no quarantine in a foreign country, but similar cluelessness, I anticipate.  I've sent reminders at the end of last fall and this spring semesters--crickets.  Let it turn to an F, though, and I'm sure all hell will break loose.  (Then I'll have another one, come the end of fall, when hers also turns to an F.) 

I can count on two fingers the times I've agreed to incompletes over my 24 years of teaching, before these two.  This kind of thing is exactly why I don't give them.

Charlotte

Student has not done any work so far in the class and we are halfway through. Emailed me to say that they didn't complete any work this past week because it was the 90 day deadline for them to file some legal paperwork and they have limited access to computers. Can they make up the work?

What about the other weeks of class you missed? Why did you wait until the end of the 90 days to complete the paperwork? Why did you take an online class if you have such limited access to a computer?

downer

Quote from: Charlotte on July 04, 2021, 03:38:36 PM
Student has not done any work so far in the class and we are halfway through. Emailed me to say that they didn't complete any work this past week because it was the 90 day deadline for them to file some legal paperwork and they have limited access to computers. Can they make up the work?

What about the other weeks of class you missed? Why did you wait until the end of the 90 days to complete the paperwork? Why did you take an online class if you have such limited access to a computer?

These are good questions that the student should address.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis