Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

secundem_artem

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 19, 2021, 09:58:42 AM
Quote from: mamselle on July 19, 2021, 09:57:38 AM
Why, you just take an axe out in the forest and find a tree, and....

You mean, there's some other kind of log?

M.

Lol. :)

I know that logarithms aren't utilized much in daily life, but still... Banging my head over here!

I thought a logarithm was a birth control device for Catholic lumberjacks. 8-)

(I'll see myself out.....)
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: secundem_artem on July 19, 2021, 03:43:09 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 19, 2021, 09:58:42 AM
Quote from: mamselle on July 19, 2021, 09:57:38 AM
Why, you just take an axe out in the forest and find a tree, and....

You mean, there's some other kind of log?

M.

Lol. :)

I know that logarithms aren't utilized much in daily life, but still... Banging my head over here!

I thought a logarithm was a birth control device for Catholic lumberjacks. 8-)

(I'll see myself out.....)

That was bad and you should feel bad. Ha!

apl68

Quote from: dismalist on July 19, 2021, 01:32:13 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 19, 2021, 01:24:46 PM
Quote from: mamselle on July 19, 2021, 10:04:52 AM
I've actually still got my dad's slide rule.

Tried using it for a math exam once but I must not have gotten the hang of it completely.

I did all the problems both ways, and used the ones I got by hand, just to be safe.

Good thing. My slide-rule answers were 'way off....

M.

Very cool. I've never had a slide rule, but I thought about getting one just for fun.

A slide rule works even when the battery runs out! :-)

So does a codex.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

dismalist

Quote from: apl68 on July 19, 2021, 03:56:03 PM

Tried using it for a math exam once but I must not have gotten the hang of it completely.

I did all the problems both ways, and used the ones I got by hand, just to be safe.

M.

Very cool. I've never had a slide rule, but I thought about getting one just for fun.

So does a codex.

To multiply by using logs? Who knew? :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

dr_codex

Quote from: apl68 on July 19, 2021, 03:56:03 PM

M.

So does a codex.

That's true.

I'm fueled by beer.
back to the books.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm doing a lab grading marathon today and here are some of the more 'interesting' highlights:

I have a student who thinks that % error has units!!!

Students do not know how to calculate percent error.

Students will not ask me why they have 500% error.

Apparently average deviation can be larger than all deviations (by an order of magnitude).

Units? We don't need no stinkin' units!

evil_physics_witchcraft

I just got a gem of an email from a student who bitched at me for a lab that is 'ridiculously confusing and hard for no reason.' Of course, this student decided to email me 15 minutes before the lab is due despite having a week and a half to complete the lab.

I will be so happy when this semester is over.

dismalist

QuoteUnits? We don't need no stinkin' units!

Welcome to the club.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mythbuster

She's baaack- my student with the never ending incomplete! She "earned" the incomplete in Spring of 2020, so the one year statute has come and gone. But, because of COVID, our admins keep giving her more time, which means weeks go by with nothing happening.
   She emails me today (the first day of Fall classes), because the Canvas course has expired and will no longer let her take the final exam. And of course she "needs" to take it today to make some deadline for grade changes so she can graduate. Never mind the lab report she still needs to submit. I doubt our Canvas IT folks will even get to my request today, as I'm sure they are dealing with much more urgent first day of class issues.
   I'm also skeptical of her passing the final exam, which would make the entire year+ saga a waste of time. I told her at the start that I recommended just retaking the course (which is required for her med school dreams).

arcturus

Dear Students

The textbook is the textbook. You need to acquire a copy. I do not care if you get it through the University bookstore or Amazon. There might even be an electronic version of it, instead of the physical copy that should be at the bookstore, available for purchase today for the Reading assignment due tomorrow.

Also, please note that the list of "Materials you will need for this course" includes access to a computer to view course content and to complete course activities. Please do not attempt to complete this online course using only your SmartPhone. It is not smart enough.

Sincerely
Prof who is surprised to learn that students do not know how to acquire a textbook

the_geneticist

Dear prep folks,
I know that you are suddenly very busy getting ready for Fall.  You knew that all labs would be back to in person.  Why you did not plan ahead and work on things in advance is not really my concern.  Don't act surprised that I'm asking for things - I took over this class a YEAR AGO.  I will give you exact number of what we need, use your checklist-style prep sheets, and write out protocols that you should already know how to follow (You've been prepping this type of class for YEARS.  Are you really going to pretend you've forgotten how to make solutions or pour plates?).  Just. Do. Your. Job.

P.S. Classes don't start for over a MONTH.  You have time.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Holy cannoli!

How many students are going to call astronomy --> 'astrology?'

Ugh!

mamselle

You should show up in a purple cloak with an astrolabe and tell 'em your name is Laurie Cabot ...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

arcturus

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 30, 2021, 05:04:37 PM
Holy cannoli!

Ugh!

At least there won't be any math!   <<Leaves room with evil laughter...>>

My best GenEd student quote was something along the lines of "this is the third astrology course I've taken and I still can't pass."  Which was almost as good as the student at an elite university that said, during office hours, "I don't understand 4 pi r squared. I read greek and that does not make any sense."

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: arcturus on August 30, 2021, 07:09:35 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 30, 2021, 05:04:37 PM
Holy cannoli!

Ugh!

At least there won't be any math!   <<Leaves room with evil laughter...>>

My best GenEd student quote was something along the lines of "this is the third astrology course I've taken and I still can't pass."  Which was almost as good as the student at an elite university that said, during office hours, "I don't understand 4 pi r squared. I read greek and that does not make any sense."

Good Lord! Don't get me started. I had students complain in the past that I was teaching a Math class instead of Astronomy. Their Math skills are abysmal. Can't add fractions, find a common denominator, do basic Algebra... Nope!