Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on August 30, 2021, 06:28:38 PM
You should show up in a purple cloak with an astrolabe and tell 'em your name is Laurie Cabot ...

M.

Ha! I blow their minds when I tell them there is a 13th constellation of the Zodiac and they get all anxious about their signs changing.

ciao_yall

Quote from: arcturus on August 30, 2021, 07:09:35 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 30, 2021, 05:04:37 PM
Holy cannoli!

How many students are going to call astronomy --> 'astrology?'

Ugh!

At least there won't be any math!   <<Leaves room with evil laughter...>>

My best GenEd student quote was something along the lines of "this is the third astrology course I've taken and I still can't pass."  Which was almost as good as the student at an elite university that said, during office hours, "I don't understand 4 pi r squared. I read greek and that does not make any sense."

Because pi r not square. Pie are round.

downer

Quote from: ciao_yall on August 30, 2021, 08:58:40 PM
Holy cannoli!

Ugh!

My best GenEd student quote was something along the lines of "this is the third astrology course I've taken and I still can't pass."  Which was almost as good as the student at an elite university that said, during office hours, "I don't understand 4 pi r squared. I read greek and that does not make any sense."

Because pi r not square. Pie are round.

Ummmm. Debatable. https://momath.org/square-pie/
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

apl68

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 30, 2021, 07:15:17 PM
You should show up in a purple cloak with an astrolabe and tell 'em your name is Laurie Cabot ...

M.

Ha! I blow their minds when I tell them there is a 13th constellation of the Zodiac and they get all anxious about their signs changing.

All I know is that if the Age of Aquarius dawned decades ago like the song says, it hasn't lived up to expectations.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

the_geneticist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 30, 2021, 07:15:17 PM

M.

You could always go all Harry Potter style astronomy and tell them that they all need to buy telescopes & meet you on top of the tallest tower at midnight.

Stockmann

Holy cannoli!

Ugh!

Maybe they're reading Pythagoras, who would've surely agreed pi, being irrational, is ridiculous and can't exist.

mamselle

Send them to the University of Bern, which has just used math to solve an astronomy problem....

https://phys.org/news/2021-08-mathematical-solutions-problem-astronomy.html

A-hem...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

waterboy

New complaint - does anyone read the freaking syllabus anymore? Even after I told them multiples times? Anybody? Anywhere? Class time is CLEARLY marked.  Hmmppff.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: waterboy on August 31, 2021, 11:59:14 AM
New complaint - does anyone read the freaking syllabus anymore? Even after I told them multiples times? Anybody? Anywhere? Class time is CLEARLY marked.  Hmmppff.

I feel your pain. I had someone ask me what a 'prelab' was today.

dismalist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 31, 2021, 02:23:23 PM

What is a prelab? About a billion years ago we had these labs in which test tubes were made to clash and then we reported the results. Is this, like, pre-clash? :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: dismalist on August 31, 2021, 02:30:48 PM

What is a prelab? About a billion years ago we had these labs in which test tubes were made to clash and then we reported the results. Is this, like, pre-clash? :-)

It's a quiz that they take after reading the background material for the lab. It's outlined in the syllabus. :)

dismalist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 31, 2021, 02:47:33 PM

It's a quiz that they take after reading the background material for the lab. It's outlined in the syllabus. :)

Got it: It's the entrance ticket to the lab! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

the_geneticist

I've had to explain that the entire point of the quiz at the start of lab is to motivate students to show up prepared for lab.  Yes, I know that students will do better on the quiz at the end of lab since they will have certainly read the lab materials by then.  No, students cannot take the quiz at the end of lab.
The kicker: I had to explain this to the lab TA

marshwiggle

Quote from: the_geneticist on August 31, 2021, 03:27:32 PM

I've had to explain that the entire point of the quiz at the start of lab is to motivate students to show up prepared for lab. 

Been there, done that. You have my sympathy.

[quote.
Yes, I know that students will do better on the quiz at the end of lab since they will have certainly read the lab materials by then.  No, students cannot take the quiz at the end of lab.
[/quote]

Mine close before the labs start for the week to make this clear. (Of course, that doesn't mean everyone gets it.)

The kicker: I had to explain this to the lab TA

Ow! I did have a TA just not show up to a lab and then when I checked my email he had emailed that he skipped the lab to study for his midterm. I hope he's never an air traffic controller or firefighter.

It takes so little to be above average.

apl68

About a billion years ago we had these labs in which test tubes were made to clash and then we reported the results.

A combination music and science lab?  Sounds like an interesting pedagogical experiment!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.