News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Quote from: RatGuy on May 06, 2022, 11:42:12 AM
To the hospital staff: if you won't let me visit my wife, and won't let her call me, then you should give me updates. She's been with you since Tuesday evening, and so far there's no treatment plan nor agenda for her discharge. But keeping the spouse in the dark is just not acceptable.

Checking back in, was it possible to resolve the discharge planning?

Hope so. Thinking of you both.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Why did you change our training venue to be on the other side of the city?!

apl68

That fax of insurance information from the Mayor's office you intercepted before I saw it, that mentioned everybody's library salaries, was privileged information.  You had no business looking up everybody's salaries so that you could compare them with your own.  You don't think I know that you've been snooping, but I do.  I could get you in big trouble over that.  If this were a larger institution with stricter rules I'd have no choice about it.

If you feel like you're not as well-paid as your position should be, you're right in a sense.  Most people in a position with your title do make more.  Most of them also have professional degrees that you don't have, and a much stronger demonstrated record of achievement than you have.  Honestly, you've been under-performing overall.  When you're good, you show that you could do the job quite well if you really put yourself into it.  But you don't seem to want to do that consistently. 

You don't seem to know it, but this is your make-or-break year.  If you perform as well as you're talking about doing in the upcoming months, I'd be willing to recommend you for a raise to the Board of Trustees.  If we flop because you try to get away with just phoning it in, it will be a serious problem for this institution.  And we will have to seriously reconsider your position and the person serving in it.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

RatGuy

Quote from: mamselle on May 09, 2022, 04:03:41 PM
To the hospital staff: if you won't let me visit my wife, and won't let her call me, then you should give me updates. She's been with you since Tuesday evening, and so far there's no treatment plan nor agenda for her discharge. But keeping the spouse in the dark is just not acceptable.

M.

Thanks everyone! Yes, she's home! She got to call me at 4pm and said they were discharging her at 5. We've found that this state's healthcare system is pretty much the worst we've experienced, but at least she's doing better.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: RatGuy on May 10, 2022, 05:05:10 PM

M.

Thanks everyone! Yes, she's home! She got to call me at 4pm and said they were discharging her at 5. We've found that this state's healthcare system is pretty much the worst we've experienced, but at least she's doing better.

That's great news (that she's home, not about the system)!

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dr_evil

Quote from: RatGuy on May 10, 2022, 05:05:10 PM

M.

I'm happy for you and your wife that she's back home. Sorry you two had to go through this experience.

Cheerful

Quote from: apl68 on May 10, 2022, 08:17:50 AM
That fax of insurance information from the Mayor's office you intercepted before I saw it, that mentioned everybody's library salaries, was privileged information.  You had no business looking up everybody's salaries so that you could compare them with your own.  You don't think I know that you've been snooping, but I do.  I could get you in big trouble over that.  If this were a larger institution with stricter rules I'd have no choice about it.

A private library or public library?  If public, why would public library salaries be privileged info and not available to the public?  Or must they file a Freedom of Information Law request for such?  The taxpaying public pays the salaries of public workers.

apl68

Quote from: Cheerful on May 11, 2022, 07:20:06 PM

A private library or public library?  If public, why would public library salaries be privileged info and not available to the public?  Or must they file a Freedom of Information Law request for such?  The taxpaying public pays the salaries of public workers.

It's not privileged information, no.  The problem is that this person is snooping around behind my back.  It's not the first time she has done this.  I'm not worried about her finding any damning secrets in my office, because there aren't any.  But snooping through the boss's office, looking through fellow employees' personal information, is not kosher.  In some places there are serious rules against this sort of thing.  If you really must know information like that, there are proper channels to go through.  This undermines my trust in and respect for this staff member.  There have also been some job performance issues with this person.

sonoamused

I was on BoT member when a long time director left and an equally long time staff member stepped in.   

That was when I found out that the (1) three of the secnior staff members had to keys to the directors office (2)all the HR files were in the cabinets in there, unlocked (3) he never logged off his computer.

Security as tightened up quickly if too late -- I realized some of the HR files had been repeatedly tampered with.  its was just so mindboggling STUPID.

Quote from: apl68 on May 12, 2022, 07:27:00 AM
Quote from: Cheerful on May 11, 2022, 07:20:06 PM

It's not privileged information, no.  The problem is that this person is snooping around behind my back.  It's not the first time she has done this.  I'm not worried about her finding any damning secrets in my office, because there aren't any.  But snooping through the boss's office, looking through fellow employees' personal information, is not kosher.  In some places there are serious rules against this sort of thing.  If you really must know information like that, there are proper channels to go through.  This undermines my trust in and respect for this staff member.  There have also been some job performance issues with this person.

larryc

Please stop talking about retirement and just do it.

mamselle

^ Hi, larryc, good to see you!

What I'd like to say, "Sure, since there are 48 hours in a day, I can do all my work AND attend all the online conference sessions all day long this week."

Additionally, "Since it's possible to bi- and tri-locate, I can attend more than one promising session at a time."

At least most of them are being recorded, although the one I heard this afternoon, which really wanted a re-listen both for some fact-checking as well as to understand some info that the presenter rattled through without including it on their slides, is not.

La vie, c'est comme ca...

M.

secundem_artem

If you feel like you're not as well-paid as your position should be, you're right in a sense.  Most people in a position with your title do make more.  Most of them also have professional degrees that you don't have, and a much stronger demonstrated record of achievement than you have.  Honestly, you've been under-performing overall.  When you're good, you show that you could do the job quite well if you really put yourself into it.  But you don't seem to want to do that consistently. 

You don't seem to know it, but this is your make-or-break year.  If you perform as well as you're talking about doing in the upcoming months, I'd be willing to recommend you for a raise to the Board of Trustees.  If we flop because you try to get away with just phoning it in, it will be a serious problem for this institution.  And we will have to seriously reconsider your position and the person serving in it.

Who the hell is still sending a fax in the 21st Century?  Has Hizzoner not heard of a pdf attached to an email?
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

apl68

It's HER Honor, and what can I say?  Small town, not on the cutting edge.

Vkw10

You are at least 50% of the reason I'm on the job market. I'm looking forward to the day I get to dump this mess in your lap.

Sure, I know why we just lost another staff member. They can make better money for less work at McDonalds.

Want to keep good people? Quit dumping other people's work on them.

You could document and fire the incompetent slackers, but that would require you to do your job.

(Three virtual interviews this week and an onsite next week. I'm pouring libations to the gods.)
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)