News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Look! A bird!

Started by professor_pat, May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: Puget on December 07, 2020, 07:28:10 AM
As I was working, I caught some motion out the window in the corner of my eye and looked up to find a cooper's hawk sitting on a branch just outside, looking right at me. It had landed right next to the suet feeder, interested no doubt not in the suet but in the tasty looking little birds eating the suet. Needless to say, they had vacated the premisses post hast, and have not returned yet, though I assume they will brave it again eventually.

Wonderful sighting!

I heard geese flying in the distance during my morning walk.  I haven't been hearing or seeing them as much this season.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

FishProf

I just watched a northern flicker gorge on my feeder.  The titmice were very upset.  The squirrel just waited hs turn. And inside, my cats were losing their little kitty minds.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

I can just picture this!!

Poor, poor kitties!!

To be so close...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

Three woodstorks sitting on tree........

Puget

The forensic evidence on the snow by the feeder indicates that a pigeon met its end there. Chief suspect is the cooper's hawk from my earlier post. Strangely, the other birds do not seem put off by the scattered feathers, though there aren't currently any pigeons about.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Thursday's_Child

The new year started with bluebirds in the feeding area!  Am I superstitious to hope that's a good sign?

This morning also brought a flicker foraging on the ground - and then a female red-bellied woodpecker started copying that foraging behavior.  I'm curious to see if it repeats.

nebo113

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on January 02, 2021, 09:34:46 AM
The new year started with bluebirds in the feeding area!  Am I superstitious to hope that's a good sign?

This morning also brought a flicker foraging on the ground - and then a female red-bellied woodpecker started copying that foraging behavior.  I'm curious to see if it repeats.

My family has always called them the bluebirds of happiness. 

Parasaurolophus

On the 31 I saw scads of bald eagles in trees, but also some other, sometimes larger, birds. They looked rougher, plumage-wise, and were darkly coloured. Golden eagles, maybe?

Also saw a barn owl yesterday.
I know it's a genus.

nebo113

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 03, 2021, 07:26:35 AM
On the 31 I saw scads of bald eagles in trees, but also some other, sometimes larger, birds. They looked rougher, plumage-wise, and were darkly coloured. Golden eagles, maybe?

Also saw a barn owl yesterday.

WOW!!!

Langue_doc

A snowy owl was reportedly sighted in my neighborhood, a most unrural area. Residents were warned not to harass the bird, use flash if taking pictures, and play recordings of owl sounds.

nebo113

I remain fascinated by the woodstorks.  Watching them take off and fly moves me to prehistory.

paultuttle

Over the last few weeks, I've experienced multiple sightings of large hawks and eagles, as well as cardinals, woodpeckers, chickadees, and one unfortunate little gray bird who tried to fly into my office window just now. (He--brightly colored, so "he"--managed to keep from knocking his little bird brain out of his skull, but only just.)

clean

My parents (in florida) are reporting "the first Robins of Winter"
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Langue_doc

A red-tailed hawk just settled on the tree across the street.

Earlier this week I saw several flocks of sanderlings on the beach. The only other birds were the usual gulls.

mamselle

This thread is so nice and positive and peaceful. Might hang out for awhile and forget all those others for a bit...

At the moment my findings are all bits of negative evidence.

No blue herons seen on the last two trips across the bridge over the brook near my place.

And the swans that had nested around the bend seem to be elsewhere as well.

I don't know if the herring population (that definitely attracts the heron) goes down over the winter or not; they might go out to the ocean.

I should check on that. Or maybe they're caught on some 18th c. fishing weir still stuck in the water somewhere...the water level does go down....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.