News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Look! A bird!

Started by professor_pat, May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

I saw what looked like an Angel Fish, in terms of its flat, vertical body, but all silver, at that time--but no birds.

Was it diving, or is there an above-water view as well?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: mamselle on February 27, 2022, 05:13:15 PM
I saw what looked like an Angel Fish, in terms of its flat, vertical body, but all silver, at that time--but no birds.

Was it diving, or is there an above-water view as well?

M.

It was diving, swimming just above the rocks from L to R, looking between them for small fish.  Sorry you missed it!

Parasaurolophus

My partner saw a peregrine falcon eviscerating a living grey jay yesterday.
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 28, 2022, 09:58:58 AM

I can now hear my older daughter's voice, dripping with sarcasm, saying:  "Isn't nature byooooo-ti-ful?"  When she was a teenager, she loved to point out the more horrifying aspects of the natural world. 

mamselle

I once saw a hawk rising above an historic marker site with a bloodied rabbit dangling from its talons.

I had a similar response to that of your daughter.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

Well, we had snow awhile back so wife made sure the bird feeders were full. Some of the seed gets knocked to the ground though, attracting rats. So I'm making coffee again and raising the blinds for some more rat watching.

nebo113

Lots of bluebirds.  A kestrel.

Puget

The red-winged blackbirds have returned, so spring is coming!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: cathwen on February 28, 2022, 12:48:15 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 28, 2022, 09:58:58 AM

I can now hear my older daughter's voice, dripping with sarcasm, saying:  "Isn't nature byooooo-ti-ful?"  When she was a teenager, she loved to point out the more horrifying aspects of the natural world.

Quote from: mamselle on February 28, 2022, 01:47:54 PM
I once saw a hawk rising above an historic marker site with a bloodied rabbit dangling from its talons.

I had a similar response to that of your daughter.

M.

At my FIL's house, we once saw--from the kitchen--a hawk drape at least five feet of rat (?) intestines from a branch. 0_o
I know it's a genus.

Thursday's_Child

It is spring, complete with impending hard freeze!  The chickadees have nearly completed their very deep and detailed nest in the downy woodpecker box.  I don't think the early eggs will be harmed by to cold - not with that much insulation around them.  I just hope that no starlings decide they want that box....

Langue_doc

I saw a merlin swoop down on a smaller bird in the scrubby area. He flew up again, birdless, and then swooped down into another part of the underbrush. I've never seen a merlin at such close quarters.

mamselle

Did he have a dripping, bejeweled sword under one wing?

;--》

M.

Thursday's_Child

Migration has started!  Male Black and white warbler foraging around the patio on Saturday - right before the really cold night.  I hope it handled that ok....

Langue_doc

It was a good birding day. There were several mute swans, solos and pairs in the various ponds. The highlight was a swan flying in a wide circle overhead, honking the entire time. This was just an appetizer of sorts as soon afterward there were other swans flying and honking--probably a mating ritual. Then a pair of honking swans swooped quite low and were just a few feet above my head, much to my dismay and the amusement of the people nearby. They made several circles and then flew past the ponds and trails I could see. There were also several egrets, assorted ducks, warblers, a heron, and only three birds of prey despite this area attracting several species of birds of prey. At another location nearby, I saw several sapsuckers, warblers, nuthatches, bluejays, sparrows (not the common ones), cardinals, one of which had the reddest head I'd ever seen, and a host of other birds. Carolina wrens were everywhere as were the robins.

nebo113

To Langue_doc....WOW!  Would have loved to have been with you.

Ospreys are nesting here.