RIP: To remember those lost to us, whether close or at large

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Spoke to a neighbor and fellow church member today who lost his sister to COVID last week.  None of the family was able to be with her before she died.  And of course they can't hold a real funeral.  He's well and accepting. 
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

wareagle

We lost one of our long-time custodians to COVID last week.  Our first death in the campus family.  I never met him, but people have commented online about what a nice, unassuming guy he was, always quick with a story.  Sympathy to his family and those who loved him.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

smallcleanrat

Grad student in my cohort. Announcement to our department today. No details beyond vague allusion to medical complications. Haven't interacted much after first year courses and our class being scattered to different thesis labs. Did not know him well. Still feels like a punch in the gut. We're a pretty small cohort. Feeling so sorry for his family right now.

Don't know yet how the rest of the cohort is taking the news.

mamselle

My condolences. Even when you're not very close to someone, it's hard when you've known them at all.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Found out only minutes ago that one of our long-time patrons has just died.  Not, so far as we know, from COVID.  He was a widower with long-term health problems whose time just seems to have come.  It's still sad for his family and others who knew him.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Larimar

Mary Oliver, nature poet extraordinaire, who passed away from lymphoma 2 years ago today.

secundem_artem

Legendary music producer Phil Spector - aged 81 from Covid 19.

Sylvain Sylvain guitarist for the proto-punk New York Dolls. 
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

kaysixteen

Remind us why the unrepentant murderer Spector ought to be given plaudits here....

secundem_artem

Quote from: kaysixteen on January 17, 2021, 10:49:05 PM
Remind us why the unrepentant murderer Spector ought to be given plaudits here....

The man changed the face of music in the 50's and 60's.  Not a nice guy, probably an abusive narcissist.  But I try to see people as broadly as I can.  John Lennon beat women in his life.  But a brilliant musician.  Norman Mailer - genuine asshole, stabbed his wife once.  But a well known man of letters.  Einstein - absolute dickhead to his first wife.  Married his cousin.  Changed the very nature of physics.  James Crick - co-discovered DNA.  Jackass IRL. 

So....  Phil Spector, dead at 81.  Brilliant music producer.  Also killed a struggling actress.  People can be admirable in some aspects and monsters in others. 
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

fishbrains

Quote from: secundem_artem on January 17, 2021, 11:09:07 PM
Quote from: kaysixteen on January 17, 2021, 10:49:05 PM

Not a nice guy, probably an abusive narcissist.

This reminds me of Norm MacDonald's very long joke about serial killer Albert Fish: https://youtu.be/yrbZxtuUdsQ
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

kaysixteen

Lemme see:   changed music in the 60s, good, balances out, murderer, bad.

This individual ought to 'rest in peace'?

mahagonny

Quote from: kaysixteen on January 18, 2021, 11:30:14 AM

Yes, but he should have started years ago.

marshwiggle

Assuming the "RIP" in the title is more of a reminder that soeone is dead than an actual wish for someone's eternal repose, if we only choose to "remember" non-complicated people, that will be an extremely short list. It's like getting rid of statues of historical figures; removing public reminders of them doesn't erase their influence (good and bad) on history. Refusing to talk about them doesn't eliminate their contributions.
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on January 18, 2021, 12:03:02 PM

Assuming the "RIP" in the title is more of a reminder that soeone is dead than an actual wish for someone's eternal repose, if we only choose to "remember" non-complicated people, that will be an extremely short list. It's like getting rid of statues of historical figures; removing public reminders of them doesn't erase their influence (good and bad) on history. Refusing to talk about them doesn't eliminate their contributions.

I thought it could be a way to gloat, while playing the gentleman.