News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Mental Health Thread

Started by smallcleanrat, May 25, 2020, 07:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

little bongo

Yes, good for you indeed. The whole mental health thing (battle? search? balance?) evolves and continues.

apl68

Thank you, everybody. 

My relationships to God and the people in my church family are much better than they were for a long time.  It has made all the difference in the world.  Although I am grateful for the help the medicine provided in helping to quiet my runaway mind long enough to think about these other things in a sensible way.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Larimar

How does one determine when or whether to begin seeking counseling for stress/anxiety? How does one know when feeling crushed by life   and pessimistic about the future has turned into depression?

Thanks,

Larimar

downer

Quote from: Larimar on September 18, 2021, 08:28:08 AM
How does one determine when or whether to begin seeking counseling for stress/anxiety? How does one know when feeling crushed by life   and pessimistic about the future has turned into depression?

Thanks,

Larimar

Feeling crushed by life is already enough to qualify for counseling. Go now.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Morden

little bongo

Agree with last couple of posts--any kind of downward slump in thinking and feeling deserves attention--more to the point, you deserve it.

mamselle

+1

Many insurance packages include coverage for, say 8-10 private visits and 8-10 group visits with a co-pay.

I'd look into that first, as a way of seeing how it makes you feel about going.

If it gives you a sense of relief to be moving towards that option, that's another sign that it could be good to do now.

It's also worth asking trusted friends whom you know have sought help what their experiences were like and if they'd recommend anyone in particular.

One can also do online therapy (a friend of mine whose therapist moved away, but was fine with continuing the contact virtually) does this and is happy with it.

I'm strongly in favor of 'talk' or other kinds of 'encounter' therapy (arts-based, for example) than drug-based to start with. Drugs are most definitely indicated and should be used when prescribed, just be sure the therapist doesn't rush to a prescription without knowing you and your issues fairly well first.

And always keep steady, short notes on your responses to Rx if you do go that route. Biological systems can change and an Rx that worked earlier might be interacting differently with ones system as it ages, or changes in some other way (hormonal shifts, etc.) You want to be able to give solid, descriptive input to your therapist when asked, and when you sense a change that might be Rx-related.

It sometimes takes time to adjust to an Rx regime as well, and notes help both you and your therapist figure out what your system needs.

It also takes courage the first few times, especially if your family put people who needed such help down, or if your surrounding community is a bit skeptical of, scandalized by, or dismissive of people with presenting differences of approach to life.

Ignore 'em. You need the help you need, when you need it, and it's both right and reasonable to seek it out.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Larimar

Thank you, everyone.

It comes and goes, waxes and wanes. I'm feeling better now than I was this morning when I posted last, and just completed the round of grading that I couldn't face earlier today.

I am less than enthusiastic about potentially adding another chronic health condition to my already annoying medical regimen. Dealing with losing my physical health is a significant part of the problem.

downer

Quote from: Larimar on September 18, 2021, 11:58:24 AM
I am less than enthusiastic about potentially adding another chronic health condition to my already annoying medical regimen. Dealing with losing my physical health is a significant part of the problem.

Not quite sure what you mean. You have the health conditions you have. Recognizing them might help you deal with them.

I do understand the tempation not to talk about them. It can be hard.

And finding a good counselor is generally not easy. Many counselors are not great. Some are no match for over-intellectualizing academics.

But still, at some point you will need to deal with the emotional toll of the health conditions you are dealing with. Might as well start now.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

If it's related to a particular time of day, a timed routine of self-care/relaxation/sustenance might help.

I got this from my mom: in the AM's she always started the day early, before anyone else was up, with her coffee, a piece of toast, and the newspaper (which came at 5 AM fairly regularly).

I was looped in, since I'm also an early riser, to get up, put the hot water on, make the orange juice, and start a separate pan for the baby's bottle. For this I was paid 10 cents a week (in the 1960s).

It's led to my own, a bit more elaborate routine of readings, breakfast, (and prayers) each AM. I notice that if for some reason I have to skip this reflective time the rest of the day feels "off" and it's harder to get things moving productively.

They say that ritual assuages anxiety, which might be a part of it, but I don't experience the lack as anxiety-producing, just as a comfort missed.

It also makes waking up more pleasant: it resolves the question of what to do first. I don't have to decide about that, I know, and the day's other uncertainties can just get in line.

Same for evenings, if things start to feel unraveled near the end of the day. A friend I was visiting in France has me now looking forward to a final mug of hot tea and contemplative thought at the end of everything. We'd sit there silently, each with our own thoughts; when the tea was all gone, we'd go to our beds.

So, maybe you already do this, but if not ,taking time for oneself with a brief, peaceful routine of any sort might be a starting place.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I hope posters on this thread are having a better day.

I've felt kind of down (low) today, lots of intrusive thoughts, low motivation/energy, ugh. SO reassured me that I'm not the 'things' I was thinking.

I blame the weather and bad parenting.

mamselle

Choose the good thoughts.

You have the agency.

M.

smallcleanrat

Struggling to put words to emotions I'm experiencing. Still haven't found a replacement therapist for the one who went AWOL. Have had multiple contacts with student counseling, being told they'd "get back to me" and then...nothing. It's been a few weeks.

The cats have been undeniably a boon to helping me cope. Worst intensity of intrusive thoughts is the middle of the night, but with two cats snoozing against me, the fundamental principle of don't-wake-the-kitties keeps me in place. I haven't self-harmed in months because of this.

The comfort I get from the cats is diminished by the shame of needing them to ground me in the first place. Maestro is 'officially' my ESA, and I hear so much scorn towards people who want or have ESAs (including from my former therapist). He stays in the apartment (doesn't come with me anywhere else: bus, class, lab, etc...), so I think I'm avoiding most of the behaviors that annoy people about ESA owners. I still cringe when I hear people complaining about "entitled snowflakes."

I want to be a self-sufficient, resilient, functional adult, but it feels too often like an unattainable goal.

mamselle

You are NOT a snowflake. The amount of work you do daily is proof of that.

Turn off that radio channel and tell it to shut up. Every time it starts up again, recite three things you've done in the past week that you're pleased with (even tiny things. When you're depressed, the tiny things matter at least as much as the big things).

And forget the self-shaming over the place of your kitties in your life.

Do you think for a minute they'd let you get away with making them do or be something they didn't want to do or be?

It's between you and the cats, and I suspect they know exactly how important they are to you, and just take it as their due.

Nothing wrong with that picture.

M.

glendower

Smallcleanrat, I agree with Mamselle. You have sounded so much better since you got Maestro, and then his buddy. If it's hard to think of other things you have done that you can be proud of, think of the kitties. You are giving them a comfortable life, with love and fun and medical care. They are lucky to have you, and they are paying you back by providing emotional support. When your brain weasels act up, turn to the Kitty Channel!