News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on September 16, 2021, 01:59:34 PM
Finally got to QB with help from Shunn for the final two words.  Ugh.

And no LB luck yet here, either.  Congrats on the 8-letter word, Langue_doc! Maybe it will just lead somewhere yet.  I don't have anything that long.  Too many letters I want to use consecutively that are on the same side!

Is this student lurking virtually, Langue_doc (since you mentioned the computer), or lurking outside your office or something? I am trying to picture this situation with little success.  I hope they come out and chat at some point!

Congrats on QB to you and cathwen.

The lurking was virtual. When you're on Chat, you can see who else is logged on to Chat. Greeted Stu by name, and invited Stu to ask questions, but no response from Stu who could have opened Chat and then proceeded to do something else.

ab_grp

Thanks, and thanks for clearing that up, Langue_doc! It's kind of funny to think of an in-person analog, of Stu just being in your office and not responding when you invite them to ask questions.  Virtual office hours are not something I have experienced.  Maybe that could be an SNL skit or TikTok or something.  But, yep... Stu probably just opened the chat and got pulled away to something else.

ciao_yall

LB - got a strange first word on my own, but needed a headsmack for the second word. Also two 2fer b4ss solutions.

Yeah, yeah, QB...

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius--the pangram was my first word.

I had to give up on the bee yesterday, as there were things to accomplish before the end of the day. At some point today, I'll have to see what I missed. I got the difficult words early on.

fandango/ostrich; I found the former only because there was a reference to dancing the fandango the previous day on an entirely unrelated topic. I had staghorn(s), foghorn(s), and farsight which LB refused to accept.

Happy solving, all!

OneMoreYear

fandango/ostrich yesterday. I entered fandango as somewhat of a joke, thinking nothing would possibly pair with it, but then ostrich!
Then, I listened to Bohemian Rhapsody while writing some rubrics. Must now check to ensure the rubrics make sense.
Happy solving everyone!

Langue_doc

Also in "Whiter Shade of Pale".

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - dugong after Googling the hint from SBF (Spelling Bee Forum).

LB - found fandango pretty quickly, but needed a pretty hard hint to find -orthotics or -ostrich. I did have 2 b4ss solutions fortnight-scads and sangfroid-ditch.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I just have one more word to QB and got GN4L and Alpha, so I hope I can get to QBABM.  Didn't sleep well, though.  Yesterday my final words were granddad, grandad.  I got dugong fairly early on, because I think it was the first word we ever had to look up from the bee when we first started.  It's been a while since it's been in the puzzle, but I haven't forgotten it.

LB was really tough! I eventually had a long list of contenders, some promising, some less so, but no luck.  Congrats on the 2fers!!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I'm off to a late start today; got GN4L and am currently at QB-2 and hoping to make QBABM.  We'll see... If there are words as obscure as dugong, then QBABM will not happen.  Like ciao_yall, I went to Google after a hint on Wordplay referenced a sea mammal similar to a manatee.  Congratulations, ab_grp, on remembering that!

And congratulations to all those who found fandango-ostrich yesterday!  I was completely baffled and did not find a 2fer.  I have found one today, but the second word is a little odd.  If I have time, I may look for a better one, but it's not a high priority.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

I got to QBABM! Husband got there first.  Good luck, cathwen!

And congrats on your 2fer today!

Langue_doc

Congrats, ab_grp!

I hit QB some time ago. It wasn't too difficult, so there's hope for everybody else.

cathwen

Congratulations, ab_grp!  I also got QBABM today.  It's been a long time since that happened.  I was about to cave when I saw the last two words.

I found a more normal second word for LB, although the first word is more efficient. 

ab_grp

Hurrah! Congrats on the QBs, Langue_doc and cathwen! Cathwen, I was close to caving on my final one, too.  Glad we held out!

And yay on a second 2fer for LB! I still haven't really gotten anywhere but had a 1.5 hr call with friends.  Hopefully I'll have some luck this afternoon or evening.  I do have some fairly good contenders and feel as though I am close.

ciao_yall

QBAM!

And lots of 3fers but no 2fer yet. Got a hint. Pretty ordinary words. Already had one.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.