News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

One pangram found, but nowhere near genius. Oh well.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Two pangrams and genius so far.

We had a power outage last night, so that was the end of puzzling, which left me with about six missing words, all familiar ones. The outage lasted about an hour and a half, but fortunately came at the end of dinner instead of while I was cooking dinner. We often get longish outages, so I was ready to hunker down and read by candlelight when the lights came back.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

Yesterday, GwP - missed flippant. LB was futzing-galosh. Not only did I not think either word would take but it's the official solution!

Not started yet this morning. Coffee first, and happy solving! G2Ps and a 2fer b4ss. Now, a shower.

ab_grp

Good morning!

I have one 4-letter word left today.  I can think of lots of 4-letter words at the moment, but the necessary letters aren't in the puzzle (and probably wouldn't be accepted anyway!).  Yesterday we needed assistance with our final two words, which were different ones.  One of mine was definitely fillip, but I don't remember what the other one was.

I was so close on LB!! I had so many contenders, including futzing, and I thought of galosh a bunch of times but just didn't think the letters worked, so obviously I missed something there.  Dang! Congrats, ciao_yall!

Sorry to hear about your power outage, Langue_doc.  I'm glad it didn't interrupt your dinner! Does that mean you held off on the crossword until this morning? If so, probably a good thing since there was apparently an error last night as well as some weirdness for Android users.  Both were fixed by the time we solved it this morning.

I'm so glad not to have hours of calls today!

Happy solving!

ETA: Parasaurolophus, thanks for that warning about the French Wordle.  I already felt that I probably just did not know enough 5-letter French words, but now I am even more sure that I am not going to find success with this one.  I did take French for 4 or so years, but that was a long time ago! Maybe I'll see if there's one for Spanish since that is more recent, though I am guessing it would also be quite difficult for me.

cathwen

Good morning/afternoon!

I have one 5-letter word left and have drawn a blank.  I'm trying to stay away from hints, since QBABM is so close. 

Yesterday my last words were plait and pitfall

And congratulations to those who had sensible LBs.  Mine was outrageous, extremely inefficient:  tautologizing-goatfish. I had remembered goatfish from an earlier puzzle.   I have a much more sensible 2fer today.

Langue_doc, how fortunate that your power outage wasn't long!  Still, an hour and a half is long enough.  We don't get outages too often, but I'm gearing up for one this weekend, as we're supposed to get walloped by the bomb cyclone, allegedly bringing 8-12" of snow and high winds.  Our local weather forecasts are often overhyped, but once in a while they're right!

Happy puzzling!

onthefringe

Good morning all. Schmoficcial 2fer yesterday. But I love tautologizing-goatfish and think it should somehow be the subject of a successful web comic.

My 2fer today is very efficient, but deeply unsatisfying due to having (to my mind) questionable words. I look forward to the promised sensible ones.

ab_grp

Finally made it to QBABM! The 4s were hard for me today for some reason.  Good luck, cathwen!

And congrats on your 2fers yesterday and today, cathwen! I like your solution from yesterday a lot and agree it would make for a good web comic.  Congrats on your 2fer today, onthefringe! I have a couple contenders so far but no luck yet.

ETA: I just came across this list of Wordle-type games in various languages, if anyone is interested: https://rwmpelstilzchen.gitlab.io/wordles/  I'm trying a Spanish version now.

Langue_doc

Congrats on your QB, ab_grp. It was a lot of suffixing, but I got there in the end, and also got a rather weird second word for LB.

I managed to complete the crossword last night--the kinks were probably ironed out when I started working on the crossword after 11 PM.

Like cathwen, I've also been monitoring the impending storm. I have enough food, and thanks to the outage yesterday know exactly how many candles I have and where they can go should the power go out. I also have enough food--getting more food might not be practical because then I'd be worrying about all the food in the fridge and freezer. I have to get extra long matches so that I can light the stove in case there's no electricity. I'm used to rather long power outages, so I'll survive. Fortunately, I don't have to go anywhere next week, so I'll just wait until mid-week when the temps are going to get to the 40s and 50s for the car to be clear of the snow.

Around dinner time, I looked out the kitchen window to see Jupiter in the sky. I usually see occasional stars, planes, and helicopters--the latter because this is a regular fly path.

ciao_yall

Lots of 2fer b4ss and 3fer solutions. Maybe posting here will break the spell.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius.

crumbles/storiefies--didn't know that the latter was a word or that it would be accepted.

Light snow already--there's a dusting of snow on the cars. Aaargh!

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius with pangram, and it was a struggle to get there—so I don't have high hopes for QB without help.  We'll see.

Yesterday my last word was alley

LB:  I had the "official" fumble-ecotourism

I love the idea of a web comic involving all the answers we come up with!  Surely we could work in futzing-galosh along with tautologizing-goatfish!

I found a 2fer today, but it took me a while. 

On to the sudokus!

Happy puzzling!

ETA:  Langue_doc, if you're getting light snow now, we're bound to get it very soon here, since we're only a couple of hours northeast of NYC.  The estimates for our area are 8-12". 

ciao_yall

Morning!

G2Ps and lots of 2fer b4ss solutions. Never did see ecotourism but did see fumbles and -ism so in the neighborhood.

Let's see what today brings!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I have two words left today and am one point shy of Alpha.  :-( Took a while to get to GN4L.  Husband has just one word left, but we don't have team QB, because I need the same word myself.  Yesterday my final word was eely.  Ick.

No luck on LB again.  Congrats on your solutions, Langue_doc and cathwen! I kept trying crumbles because it was the closest I could get to using up a bunch of letters, but I could never find a mate.  I'm glad they took yours, Langue_doc! The tautologizing goatfish was futzing with his galoshes and now fumbles as his dream of ecotourism crumbles.  I don't know.  Congrats on another 2fer today, cathwen!

Here's hoping for snow that is either cozy or just a little annoying without power outages or other yucks to deal with for you northeasterners! I know out there it is often unclear how long they will last. I better check in to make sure my mother has a snow shoveler lined up so she doesn't try to go about it herself again, having fallen on the ice last time.  Argh!

I'm glad you got to see Jupiter, Langue_doc!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

storifies, and not storiefies--this is what happens when you're looking out the window and worrying about the snow as you type. I would never ever have come up with ecotourism!

Haven't made much progress on the bee. But crosswords and sudokus were done last night.

cathwen, the snow showers have stopped--this must be the trial run for the actual storm which is supposed to hit here around 7 PM with up to 6-9 inches, which doesn't appear to be a lot of snow for a major snowstorm. We do have wind advisories though for all day Saturday. You're probably not going to see any snow until after dinnertime.

Hope your mother has all the help she needs to take care of the shoveling, ab_grp.