News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Congrats, ab_grp. I too managed to get all the words, and a two-fer.

Am now listening to illegal fireworks on my street and also on the nearby ones and hoping that my car is unscathed. Saw several displays earlier during my walk, all probably illegal, but didn't have to worry about them landing on my car. I do commiserate with the elderly and the sick people who have been putting up with the noise for at least ninety minutes.

ciao_yall

QB, needed a hint for glottal. LB piquancy-youths.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Morning!

135 points so far. Last word yesterday was luau which I've seen umpteen times before.

piquancy/youths

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I haven't started the puzzles yet today.  Yesterday my final two words were four-letter ones.  One was luau, and maybe the other was haul? Congrats to you as well and thanks, Langue_doc!

Sadly, I got the schmofficial solution, quips-sycophant.  Well, not sadly, but I always like to find a different one if possible! Still, I will take it! Plenty of dry days.  Congrats on your solutions, ciao_yall and Langue_doc! Looking at my list, I am dismayed to see that I had youths on one line and piquant on the next, so obviously a connection was brewing, and the remaining letters were provoking some thought there, but no dice.

Langue_doc, I hope your car and neighbors are okay.  This area is like fireworks every day of the year, and given the number of fires... ugh.  It was supposed to rain pretty much all night, so we were hopeful that there wouldn't be any activity (or at least not much), but our neighbors were out there again.  Fun trying to watch anything compelling with all that going on! I do feel much worse for those who have post-traumatic or other reactions.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I needed a hint for gulag yesterday.  Today I just made QBABM!

LB:  I also had piquancy-youths.  I have one today also.

I hope your car survived the fireworks, Langue_doc!  Although our town did not have fireworks this year for budgetary reasons, we had some firecrackers going off all around us.  I'm glad the Fourth is over.  I really hate the noise.  However, when we first moved to New York, our apartment in Battery Park City overlooked the Statue of Liberty.  We would stand at the window and watch the fireworks from New Jersey going off all around her.  That was quite the show!  And since we were watching from inside, the noise was tolerable.

Parasaurolophus

Quick BWP this morning.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Yay! Congrats on your QB, cathwen, and B, Parasaurolophus! I am down to one word and hope to find it before giving up.

Congrats on your 2fers yesterday and today, cathwen! I haven't looked at it yet but we'll see.

ab_grp

Well, I did finally get a 2fer! Still the one word left on the bee, but I haven't given up hope quite yet.

ETA: got to QB, finally

ciao_yall

QB, needed a hint for cancan.

LB was a very long and inelegant macrobiotic-crumple.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Got to QBABM yesterday (it's been a looong time since that last happened) when I finally saw açaí and acacia, words that I rarely get right off the bat for some reason.

Today I'm at GwP, three words to go, totally stumped. 

LB:  I had patriotic-crumble, so there is some variety today!  I found a 2fer today also.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

16 words and 71 points so far; not sure if I'll be able to find any more words. Last word yesterday was banc.

optical/lumber

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Found the pangram right away, but I have to head out to finally have an eye appt, so I will try to work on it then.  My final word yesterday was aback.

I was also in the patriotic-crumble camp for LB.  Congrats on another today, cathwen!

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Two pangrams and genius. I don't think I have the energy to look for the remaining 100 or so points.

Missed chuppah.

Car and neighborhood survived the fireworks. I'm still amazed that parents with small children would think that lighting fireworks in residential areas would be such a good idea.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Amazing with all four pangrams this morning, 12 points to genius.  Ugh!  If I ever get there, I think that will be it for the day.

Yesterday I needed a hint for captcha

LB:  I had the "official" kerchief-foxglove.  No 2fer yet today! 

Langue_doc, I'm glad the neighborhood was unscathed.

Today my grandson is 13!  A teenager!  And almost as tall as his mother and I are (5'2").  It seems only yesterday I was rocking him and singing to him (poor kid).  I sometimes miss those days, but now he is so interesting to talk to, and I like that even more!

Anyway—happy puzzling!