Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Got a 2fer! Still working on the bee.

namazu

Quote from: ab_grp on July 08, 2022, 07:25:56 AM
Got the pangram and managed to get to genius with some memory luck.  Yesterday I finally made it to genius with the pangrams and then still had something like 17 words left when we finally quit for the day! Husband had been at work, so no phone and about no progress on the bee, so since it was nearly 8 PM by the time he got home we just compared our lists.  Sadly, we did not get team QB, as we were both missing two words: ipecac, cannellini.  I think I thought we had the latter because the similar pangram was stuck in my head.  Oh well! He had to help me with cancan, lenience, epicine, incipience, but I was able to give him pellicle, which I guessed because I always think that there is a word like cellicle.
I'm not an NYT Games subscriber, so I don't ever get to finish these, but I was curious whether anyone here knows how the word list is assembled (or why it seems so hit-or-miss).  I was particularly frustrated by this edition, because I tried apical, panicle, and Laplacian, but they were all rejected.  But pellicle is there?  Why pellicle and not panicle? They seem similarly technical.

Parasaurolophus

Yeah, the list of accepted/unacceptable words is... frustrating.

Found the pangram, am just five words short of genius.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QBwH for wonton, newton. LB nought-temporary.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I made QB yesterday with a one letter hint to find the last word, newton.  Parasaurolophus and namazu, it truly is frustrating to find words that you *know* are words, but that get rejected.  I was astonished at the rejection of apical.

Today I have three words until QB and may need help later, but will keep trying.  For now, I just don't see them.

LB:  I had megaton-neuropathy.  Ciao_yall, I saw temporary, but did not see nought!  Congratulations on your 2fer!

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram (don't know how I happened on it) and genius, but that's it for today.

Last words yesterday were tweedle and tweedled.

nympho/outrage and then augment/trophy

Spelling Bee "hand-curates" their list of words according to an email I received from them. Don't know what that means other than "I make up my own rules, so don't question them."

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius, but no pangram.  Husband reports having found it as his first word, so hopefully it will occur to me sometime today.  Yesterday we had team QB.  He needed twee (which he tends to miss), and I needed wonton, weld, welded.  I typically miss the first one for some reason but thought I had the others.

For LB, I had hangout-temporary.  So no overlap between solutions, and lots of different ones! I had quite a few promising contenders before finally finding that one, which didn't make use of any of them.  Congrats on all of your solutions! I don't know which I like best.  Maybe nympho-outrage.  In any case, congrats on two 2fers, Langue_doc!

There is another word not in the puzzle today, of course.  And let's not forget how arbitrary the acceptances/rejections of various un-, non- and so forth are.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Well, I got a 2fer! But no pangram yet.

ciao_yall

QBwH for bocci, biocide. LB entomb-brusquely.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I needed 2LL help for binned and bodice yesterday.  I got doobie by dumb luck, just playing around with letters.  Today I am at genius with the pangram, six words to go. 

LB:  I also had entomb-brusquely.  I wonder if there were other solutions?  I found a 2fer today also.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. Probably that's it for today.

Missed bindi, biocide, and doobie.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram and to genius, though with a word that was a guess.  And then I got my fastest crossword time! Not that exciting, but kind of fun.  Yesterday I think we had team QB.  I needed first-letter help to get the freaking pangram.  And I was missing biocide, bonbon, noob, the latter two of which I usually get.  I don't think I ever would have come up with the first one.  Husband was missing bodice.

I also got the schmofficial entomb-brusquely solution.  Congrats on another today, cathwen!

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Got to genius without the pangram yesterday, stuck in an early-game rut so far today.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

One of the banned bee words is bended which I find quite frustrating because it is still in current use as in the expression on bended knee.

Here it is, in an opinion piece from the Washington Post.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/07/11/biden-saudi-trip-post-publisher-fred-ryan/:

So why is President Biden now going to Jiddah on bended knee to shake the "pariah's" bloodstained hand? Once again, he is seeking votes.

Just venting...

Parasaurolophus

Pangram but a few points shy of genius today.
I know it's a genus.