News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Quote from: Boomvang on September 17, 2020, 02:37:56 PM
A suggestion to all: It might be fun to form a Zoom or Skype group to chat about these matters and others associated with NYT puzzles. Is anyone interested? Is there a way to start one and join in a way that would not reveal who posts under which username in The Fora?

I have iffy internet so won't work for me.  But thanks for the idea.

nebo113

Got the pantagram two days in a row but yesterday's total score was still low.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: nebo113 on September 25, 2020, 06:34:56 AM

Well done!

Today, I'm complaining that a couple days ago, 'troy' was counted as a word. Either it's a proper noun, in which case it's ineligible, or it's an adjective meaning 'expressed or computed in troy weight', in which case, it's so obscure that almost nobody knows it and is instead thinking of the ancient city, so it's ineligible.
I know it's a genus.

nebo113

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 25, 2020, 10:24:18 AM
Quote from: nebo113 on September 25, 2020, 06:34:56 AM

Well done!

Today, I'm complaining that a couple days ago, 'troy' was counted as a word. Either it's a proper noun, in which case it's ineligible, or it's an adjective meaning 'expressed or computed in troy weight', in which case, it's so obscure that almost nobody knows it and is instead thinking of the ancient city, so it's ineligible.

Thanks!   Though I'm going to disagree about 'troy' which I did not get.  I'm disagreeing because, if we're doing the NYT Spelling Bee, we obviously think we're smarter than the average bear so should know about 'troy.'  ~:)

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

nebo113

'Labrador' isn't on today's list.  GRRRRR

Langue_doc

Nor boll. Much to my surprise, enow was accepted a couple of days ago, but not lego yesterday.

Parasaurolophus

Caught and forgot another suprising omission t'other day.

I have to confess that I'd been having a bad few days until yesterday. It was days in a row of not hitting 'genius', or anywhere even close (all those days where it was set at 170+ points). Dunno if it was stress or distraction, or whatever. But I was really sucking (comparatively). I think I'm back on form now.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

There were a couple days of really big (number of words) puzzles, and unfortunately a lot of that tends to be grind-it-out stuff like adding various prefixes and/or suffixes.  After a while, that can feel a bit boring (husband calls those bookkeeping puzzles... always have to check to be sure we've tried all variations of words).  There was one the other day that was really tough for us due to the combination of letters, and on more than one day we couldn't find the final words using either of our programs.  Then yesterday or the day before, I got queen bee by myself before finishing my first cup of coffee, and in comparing our lists today we were able to get queen bee without having to run our programs.  The experience certainly differs from day to day or set of letters to set of letters! At least I got to try "yabba dabba doo" a week or so ago.  I know, it has spaces.  I still tried it.  There have been a couple compound words recently that didn't appear in the puzzle that seemed as though they should given the random stuff they often include.

Langue_doc

Dudette was nixed, but the Spelling Bee allows a plethora of words that are obscure, archaic, or non-English.

reener06

I'm down to needing one five-letter word to be Queen Bee and I'm done. They should allow dudette, among other things. Grrr. I did get to genius halfway through first cup. Some letter combinations fire my brain; others do not.

nebo113

Quote from: reener06 on October 07, 2020, 03:55:48 PM
I'm down to needing one five-letter word to be Queen Bee and I'm done. They should allow dudette, among other things. Grrr. I did get to genius halfway through first cup. Some letter combinations fire my brain; others do not.

Same for me on the letter combos. 

Langue_doc

It's a brutal one today, or so it seems.

Parasaurolophus

Yeah, I'm stuck at 34 right now. But inspiration often strikes me later in the day.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 08, 2020, 08:01:46 AM
Yeah, I'm stuck at 21 right now. But inspiration often strikes me later in the day.
Me too, stuck at 22. I usually mange to find more words when I come back to it later. I often get the pangrams, but not the run of the mill words. Today, though, I think I AM stuck.