News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Okay, these Letterboxed hints are cracking me up.  I'll have to go have a try at 2 words and see if I can figure out which words you each have.

For the bee, we compared lists and got within 2 words of it.  Definitely should have gotten one of them given another word we tried, but I don't feel bad about the final word.

ETA: just got ciao_yall's, I think.  The orthodontia part came to me first and then I just worked with the letters that were left and made sure it ended with the first letter of the orthodontia word.  Now onto a flower and Christmas carols.

Langue_doc

I found the energy word, but not the orthodontia one.

Yesterday, SB rejected folate, but accepted fellate which was surprising.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on November 29, 2020, 05:31:59 PM
I found the energy word, but not the orthodontia one.

Maybe think about tiling?

I have found 3 flowers but none queue up anything remotely related to Christmas.

Langue_doc

Langue_doc

I found two pangrams today.

ab_grp and ciao_yall, what were your LetterBoxed words? Mine were larkspur and rejoice. I got jalousies initially but couldn't fit the remaining letters into a single word. Then I tried the hard letters suggested by ciao_yall, and came up with larkspur.

Parasaurolophus

The Bee seemed pretty easy today. I also found two pangrams. Yesterday rejected 'immanent'.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Same thought here with yesterday's bee not taking folate but taking fellate.  We got within one word of QB today and felt pretty dumb about it.  Pretty easy, but a lot of bookkeeping!

I couldn't find a flower, either! All the flowers I came up with were missing a letter.  Didn't even think of rejoice.  I tried precious at one point.  The only two-word solution I got was what I think were ciao_yall's, kilojoules and spacer.  Spacer was easier, so I wrote down the remaining letters and made sure to put the s at the end.  I haven't tried today's yet. 

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on November 30, 2020, 05:00:37 AM
I found two pangrams today.

ab_grp and ciao_yall, what were your LetterBoxed words? Mine were larkspur and rejoice. I got jalousies initially but couldn't fit the remaining letters into a single word. Then I tried the hard letters suggested by ciao_yall, and came up with larkspur.

Looks like you got the official answer! I didn't know there was a flower called larkspur, though there is a town north of us with that name, so guess that's just my ignorance of the natural world coming through.

Yes, kilojoules and spacer were my words.

Today I would have so many great words if it wasn't for the darn "same side" rule.

ciao_yall

Plenty of threefers, but the two is eluding me...

Langue_doc

ab_grp

Yep! I really stared at it a while this afternoon, but I couldn't get to two.

ab_grp

We had to get up "nice" and early today, and I managed to get the crosswords done and QB by the time my husband left.  I was 5 points away and stymied but finally got the last word.  I feel so accomplished and now don't know what to do with the rest of my day.   Besides a lot of box emptying and file sorting.  And Letterboxed!

ciao_yall

Spelling Bee wouldn't take MILT.

Letterboxed yesterday - WTF?

Okay, let's try for today.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 01, 2020, 07:41:42 AM
Spelling Bee wouldn't take MILT.

Letterboxed yesterday - WTF?

Okay, let's try for today.

Or bitty.

Congrats, ab_grp.

I found both pangrams today and made it to above genius. I usually do the mini crossword before retiring, and the crossword sometime in the afternoon. I looked at Letterboxed, and didn't think I could fit all the letters into two words, but we'll see.

ab_grp

Thanks, Langue_doc! The mini crossword is my warm up for the regular crossword.   Doesn't always help, but at least Tuesdays are not too bad in general.

I tried Letterboxed and got it in 3 words but agree that 2 might be tough.  I kind of wish you could bank previous solutions somewhere.  I'll just write them down as I go.