News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Two points short of genius on the Bee today, but they'll come eventually. Seems to me there's a foodstuff it's not accepting but should (although I suppose it's named after an ancient kingdom, so maybe that's the rationale).
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

LB - yesterday I WAS SO CLOSE! I had both words in different 3-fer combinations.

SB - Gah.

Onward...

SB - cruising along, stuck at "Great" for now.

LB - plenty of 3-fers, hope to find the 2-fer at some point.

Langue_doc

I made it to genius--a couple of words of Greek origin, one plural, two dishes, not originally American, a body part (don't know how this sneaked past the censors), another body part, and plenty of four-letter words. Not sure if I have the energy to look further as there's the crossword and the LB.

Parasaurolophus

Got it with a six-pointer! I'm all out of steam for QB though.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Clearly not a California writer. SB wouldn't take HELLA.

ab_grp

It is interesting when the bee won't take a word but will take a variation of the word.  We got up to 160 points after comparing but are probably going to throw in the towel.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 10, 2020, 09:44:51 AM
I made it to genius--a couple of words of Greek origin, one plural, two dishes, not originally American, a body part (don't know how this sneaked past the censors), another body part, and plenty of four-letter words. Not sure if I have the energy to look further as there's the crossword and the LB.

I'm stuck at amazing/110 and think I have all that you have, still no panagram. I have the body parts that I think you are referring to - hey, it's the proper latin term and not a slang term so why not?

3fers coming out of my ears with LB. Probably same situation as yesterday in that there are 2 words that go together in my various 3fer combos.

Langue_doc

The pangram has a sort of recognizable prefix as well as a suffix. You can get another word from the pangram without the suffix part.

cathwen

I got the pangram fairly early, but the rest of today's SB was a struggle.  I did finally make it to Genius.  I just don't have the energy to go for QB.

Sometimes the decisions about what not to accept are surprising.  It rejected hella, but accepted a similar word that I would consider a slangy spelling.

As for LB, I'm stuck at a 3-word solution. 

permanent imposter

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 10, 2020, 01:26:04 PM
The pangram has a sort of recognizable prefix as well as a suffix. You can get another word from the pangram without the suffix part.

Thanks for this, I've never used this word without the suffix part.

Also I wanted to thank this thread for informing me of SB's existence and thus claiming most of my morning productivity time :) If anyone is interested in a free app that has a similar concept it's called "Not That Spelling Bee."

Langue_doc

Made it to genius today, but alas, no pangram yet.

Now, self, get to work.

Welcome to the club, permanent imposter.

ETA: Found the pangram!

reener06

And I got the pangram as first word but am one point shy of genius. Coffee not kicking in, yeah, that's it.

ab_grp

I got up to 89 points, and we are at 94 after comparing.  So I guess maybe two four-letter words left? It's been pretty easy today overall.  Good luck, reener06!

I never did get the 2-word LB solution yesterday.  And, looking at the solution, I was not even close with my contenders.  I got distracted trying for the first time to do the medium sudoku.  I don't know if that can be accomplished without guessing entries (which I don't want to do).  Guess I'm not at that level yet.

Quote from: permanent imposter on December 10, 2020, 11:49:00 PM
Also I wanted to thank this thread for informing me of SB's existence and thus claiming most of my morning productivity time :) If anyone is interested in a free app that has a similar concept it's called "Not That Spelling Bee."

Welcome! And thanks for the tip about the other app, which I'm sure will eventually suck up more of my time, just like these folks have now sucked me into Letter Boxed.  I also use Wordscapes, which is sort of similar and I think has helped with the bee.  And there is Letter Hive, which is much more like the bee and allows you to customize the letters and has a solve feature.

ETA: I finally got the last bee word (only one remained, not two).  Hurrah.

ciao_yall

SB Yesterday - it took HELLUVA but not HELLA? Discrimination against California!

This morning, got the panagram fairly quickly. Maybe I'll do better today. Ran out of gas at "Amazing."

LB - Never got PLANKTON. I had SCHLUMP but oh well. I was coming up with a lot of combos with PHANTOM - close but no cigar!

Onward to today's - got the 2-fer on the first try!

Langue_doc

LB--didn't get either of the two words yesterday.

I made it to QB earlier today with the last word, one of foreign origin and which I invariably miss despite its frequent occurrence in SB, which I fortuitously remembered.

ciao_yall and ab_grp, woohoo for your solutions today.

I've been doing the sudokus and yes, you can adjust the settings so that you don't see the solution when you are working on it.

Dang, autocorrect! MYOB.