News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Langue_doc

Did any of you get the musical word for LB?

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 19, 2020, 10:22:34 AM
Did any of you get the musical word for LB?

Yep, my first word is musical (though I got it second).  Yay for all the 2-fer victories today!

Yesterday I did have humans as a possibility but didn't see stoplight in the remaining letters at the time.

Had to check the program for the final two bee words.  I don't think I would have stumbled upon them, so I don't feel too badly about it.

ciao_yall

Yes, a musical word. Set up the other letters very nicely.

ciao_yall

Yesterday's LB - sounds like we all got the official solution?

SB - ran out of gas at Amazing but don't want to check the Crossword comments because we haven't done the Sunday Crossword yet. Husband starts it and I finish it. Kind of a tradition.

LB - 3fers coming out of my ears, so the 2fer must be close. Thought I had it but ARGH on the same side thing!!!!!! And a Z would have come in handy now that we know they will accept Yiddish words.

How is everyone else?

Langue_doc

SB was rather blah today, but I got the pangram early on. (I thought it applied to us) and made it to QB by trying out various configurations with the letters.

As for LB I got the official solution. Got the two-fer; I tried to get to the difficult letters first. PM me if you would like a hint.

I'm still a letter awry on the crossword. I'm tempted to look at the solution. 

ab_grp

I got the official LB solution yesterday, too.  Today I have a couple good candidates but haven't found a match for a 2-fer yet.  So close on some of them! I'll keep at it for a bit and see if I need a hint later on.

I like your crossword tradition, ciao_yall! We usually do the crossword before the bee, though I tend to start the bee for a few minutes while getting ready in the morning.  After comparing, we got to within 5 points on the bee, and husband identified the final word.  Agreed with Langue_doc about the pangram! Easy to spot and very appropriate.  Wondering which letter you are stuck on in the crossword...

On the sudoku front, I finished easy but am stuck on medium.

Langue_doc

Just got the letter and the solution. I had the wrong letter for the king's name. Crossword doesn't tell you where you went wrong, but only that you should keep trying.

Can't type either of your names because I'm on the kindle, which promptly and assiduously autocorrects words it doesn't approve of. Don't remember how long it took me to get it to accept 'two-fer'.

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 20, 2020, 11:39:29 AM
Just got the letter and the solution. I had the wrong letter for the king's name. Crossword doesn't tell you where you went wrong, but only that you should keep trying.

Can't type either of your names because I'm on the kindle, which promptly and assiduously autocorrects words it doesn't approve of. Don't remember how long it took me to get it to accept 'two-fer'.

Yep, I kind of went back and forth on that name a bit.  And although autocorrect is not an issue when I'm on the computer, I definitely understand the pain of it on other platforms.  I thought it was supposed to learn, but no matter how many times I correct my youngest daughter's name, it still does whatever it wants.  It's not that crazy of a name, either.  It comes up with some strange and very specific suggestions I've never heard of for other words, as well.

ciao_yall

Ugh, I'm not worthy.

SB - Still no panagram, stuck at "amazing."

LB - Plenty of 3fers, with odd letters here and there which tells me I'm this close.

If someone wants to PM me a clever hint, I might not read your message... but I might.

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 20, 2020, 12:58:06 PM
Ugh, I'm not worthy.

You are, too! I mean you are worthy, too, but I couldn't figure out how to punctuate that.  You are too worthy! No, that's not right. 

I just came here to say that I think I figured out what word you wanted a Z for.  As for the pangram, I will try to think of a clever and not-too-obvious clue, but the one I gave my husband this morning was a little too blunt.  Langue_doc seems to have a way with words and might have a good way to present a clue.

Still have a growing list of lots of seemingly good contender words and can't figure out what might go with them.  Stupid same side stupidness.

Langue_doc

Still on my kindle, but here I go.

SB, think of what the three of us (and fellow posters on this thread) have in common. Think in classical language.

As for the king, I would have gotten the correct consonant if I had known the name of the person in the 'across' column.

As for being worthy, I see words only in certain configurations. There have been days when I've given up on puzzles only to find that the solution was quite obvious.

ETA Just sent PM; kindle won't let me type your name, c.

ETA2: On my computer now.
Thank you for your kind words, ab_grp. We all have a way with words, otherwise we wouldn't be on this and other threads. I can PM you the hint I sent ciao_yall if you like.

The same side requirement and the non-acceptance of double consonants and vowels continue to bug me.

cathwen

After much struggling and trying and failing with what seemed to be good words, I finally got LB in 2 words.  So many 3-fer combinations, though!  I did not get yesterday's. 

I got to Genius in SB, but QB remains elusive—so congratulations, Langue_doc!  I did like the pangram, though, and yes, it is appropriate for this group.

I really screwed up sudoku yesterday, having to backtrack not once, but twice.  Today went better. 

Langue_doc

Quote from: cathwen on December 20, 2020, 02:12:41 PM
After much struggling and trying and failing with what seemed to be good words, I finally got LB in 2 words.  So many 3-fer combinations, though!  I did not get yesterday's. 

I got to Genius in SB, but QB remains elusive—so congratulations, Langue_doc!  I did like the pangram, though, and yes, it is appropriate for this group.

I really screwed up sudoku yesterday, having to backtrack not once, but twice.  Today went better.

Woohoo! Congrats. I did get several three-fers initially.

ab_grp

Hooray for the 2-fers! I am still working at it but feel like I am trying to force "favorite" contenders to work, so I went back to medium sudoku, got a foothold, and managed to reason it out in a total time of nearly an hour.  But, I solved it with no guessing, which is my goal.  I might try the hard one again just to see how far I get but will probably focus on LB.

Langue_doc, that was a good bee clue.  Much more straightforward than mine!