News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on December 25, 2020, 11:14:03 AM
Yes, it was the official solution.  I got gypsum and then, thankfully, saw lifelong in the remaining letters and crossed my fingers! Congrats on the 2-fer today.  I have some contenders that I'm working with.  The same side stuff is an obstacle to an obvious 2-fer.  Hopefully I'll get there.

For the bee, we got to within 7 points of QB after comparing and then probably wouldn't have gotten the last word. 

I had some time last night when the sudokus came out, so I got the easy done and decided to forge ahead on medium after some wine, so I am still trying to unravel what took place there and try to solve it and then move on to hard.  At least the crossword was easy for a Friday!

I don't think I ever got "gypsum," but did get "spumone" and "spume" in various 3fer combinations so definitely got warm.

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 25, 2020, 11:26:28 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on December 25, 2020, 11:14:03 AM
Yes, it was the official solution.  I got gypsum and then, thankfully, saw lifelong in the remaining letters and crossed my fingers! Congrats on the 2-fer today.  I have some contenders that I'm working with.  The same side stuff is an obstacle to an obvious 2-fer.  Hopefully I'll get there.

For the bee, we got to within 7 points of QB after comparing and then probably wouldn't have gotten the last word. 

I had some time last night when the sudokus came out, so I got the easy done and decided to forge ahead on medium after some wine, so I am still trying to unravel what took place there and try to solve it and then move on to hard.  At least the crossword was easy for a Friday!

I don't think I ever got "gypsum," but did get "spumone" and "spume" in various 3fer combinations so definitely got warm.

That's funny! Spumone was my first contender! I also tried legions, genome, filmy, meiosis... but gypsum was the last one and luckily led in the right direction. 

cathwen

I normally don't get the 2-word answer for LB, but today I did, after a shorter period of time than usual!  SB took more time, but I finally got Genius.   I salute anyone who gets QB with this group of letters. 

Now for the crossword!

ab_grp

I think Genius is great with this group of letters, especially with that dang Y in the middle!  And congrats on the 2-fer!

ab_grp

Okay, finally got a 2-fer.  And I managed to finish the medium sudoku I started last night but am struggling with the hard one.  There seems to be something interesting about it, but I don't know what to call it to be able to look it up and see if that's some kind of pattern I can exploit.  It doesn't match the patterns I've read about so far, but there are so many!

Langue_doc

LB, the two-fer was easy, got it bright and early this morning. SB wasn't too bad, despite a Shakespearean-sounding word. Made it to QB. Completed the crossword. Yesterday, I got the first word for LB, but couldn't get a second word. No QB either.

ciao_yall

Quote from: cathwen on December 25, 2020, 11:51:02 AM
I normally don't get the 2-word answer for LB, but today I did, after a shorter period of time than usual!  SB took more time, but I finally got Genius.   I salute anyone who gets QB with this group of letters. 

Now for the crossword!

Isn't that a great feeling?

ab_grp

I didn't think the 2-fer was that easy, as I went down many wrong paths, but at least that is conquered for today.  And I finally finished the hard sudoku and think that is an actual pattern I found that I can make use of in the future, whatever it's called. 

Langue_doc, I think I know which word you're referring to in the bee.  If so, it has been in there before but is always one of those that I can't remember because it makes no sense to me as a word.    I guess it is literally what it is, but it definitely feels archaic.

Congrats all around!

Parasaurolophus

I'm struggling with today's SB. Real tough.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

I'm 11 points short of amazing. It's going to be a long haul today. Got the crossword though.

LB: my words were waterlilies and shadowy.

ab_grp, I just played around with yond, thinking of yon, and was surprised that it was accepted.

As for today, some words that I consider to be acceptable have been rejected, presumably because SB thinks that they are compounds, but nondairy and noonday were accepted yesterday--the latter is probably considered to be a complete word as opposed to nondairy, which I still think of as a compound despite my including it and the other two compounds in the puzzle yesterday.

ab_grp

I had wreaths at one point and figured it could be the ticket given the theme, but I couldn't figure out the other word.  Finally ended up with LITERS-SHADOWY.  So, several solutions, I guess.

Haven't done much with the bee yet, but I see there are quite a lot of points to get.  I did get a pangram, at least.  Langue_doc, I thought maybe the word you were referring to was dooryard.  But yond makes sense, too.  I also got it the same way you did.  We missed noonday.  I keep thinking airdry should be in there.

Now off for coffee and crosswords and some more beeing.

Langue_doc

Dooryard was a surprise for me too. I might have seen this word somewhere in a novel or other writing because even though it isn't a word I use, I tried it out and it worked. Got the pangram early on today and have now reached amazing.

The crossword was an easy one for a Friday.

Liters is much more succinct and frugal compared to my wasteful use of letters in waterlilies. I was pleased though with that word as I thought "Monet!" as soon as I had entered the letters.

ciao_yall

"Dooryard" is what they call the front yard in Maine. Very regional.

Wow, I'm amazed at the words you all found in LB yesterday!

ab_grp

Waterlilies is much more lovely and evocative than liters.  I struggled with the NE corner of the crossword today but finally conquered it.  Making some headway on the bee, but still 16 points even to genius and about 100 to QB.  Yikes! There are some words that I think should be accepted, but I guess not. 

ETA: Managed to get a 2-fer, which is sort of amazing given that the easy sudoku took me much longer than usual. 

cathwen

My solution for yesterday's LB was retails and shadowy.  Lots of good answers, apparently!  I wish I'd seen waterlilies—so much more poetic than retails.

For yesterday's SB, I tried dooryard in a desperation move and was stunned when it was accepted.  I'd never heard of that before.  Ciao-yall, I didn't know that it means the front yard in Maine!  One of our daughters lives in Maine; I'll have to ask her if she's heard it.

For today's LB, I'm stuck on a 3-fer as usual.  I'm 28 points away from Genius on SB.  Just got the crossword, though.