News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Congrats, cathwen! You are a natural! And I think I had missed gloop yesterday, although I had gloopy.  That's one that husband donated from his list.  I have to remember to look back at what I already have.  Argh.

We finally compared, as I had gotten to Alpha, at least.  I was missing 12 points, husband donated one word, and we had to look one up that we probably should have gotten given another in our list.  Argh again! Tough day today.

Got medium sudoku done but haven't tried the hard one yet.  I have a contender for LB but am not sure it will work so will go back to that as well.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ciao_yall on January 27, 2021, 09:50:12 AM
cathwen you are a natural!

That ED on the same side closes up a lot of avenues!

Agree with both of the above.

Finally got a two-fer; Alpha bee on SB.

Good luck on LB ab_grp and ciao_yall.

ciao_yall

At "genius" which is usually as far as I go.

LB - lots of 3fers and B4SS but just not getting that *click."

Langue_doc

Quote from: ciao_yall on January 27, 2021, 02:54:38 PM
At "genius" which is usually as far as I go.

I used to be quite content with genius. Then I found this thread. Oh, well...

ciao_yall

LB yesterday - I found BAND and WIDTH but somehow never made the connection to put them together to get BANDWIDTH-HACKER. Argh. How did everyone else do?

SB and LB for today await, along with teaching 2 classes and a board meeting.

ab_grp

Good day!

I didn't come up with anything close for LB yesterday.  I thought CHICKENWIRE might work because it only left DBAT, but I couldn't make it work starting with E or ending with C.  Oh dang I just realized I did have WHACKER.  Maybe if I hadn't had the W in that group I might have seen BANDWIDTH in the remaining letters.  We'll see what today brings.

The bee is a long one again today.  I'm at a bit over genius (213) but still a ways to go to Alpha, let alone QB.  I found some good words, and there's a bunch of bookkeeping, but I am stuck for now. There are a few compound words and others that I would like it to accept.  Yesterday we missed amebae! Argh.  We had ameba.  Hate that.

ciao_yall

ab_grp, great word! Early on I found WHITENER and BETWICH, but needed the ED to make 2fers out of them.

Already found a weird 3fer.

SB - at amazing. Lots of gerunds. "Bookeeping." Yeah.

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Got to genius on SB, but don't think I'm going to find more words. Yesterday, I missed begem, yegg, and amebae. I should have found the last one though.

LB: the official solution. Found some three-fers today, but no two-fer so far.

Crosswords and sudokus were done last night; vertex also completed.

Happy solving and two-fers, all.

cathwen

I got BANDWIDTH-HACKER yesterday and found a 2-fer today.  But oh my, the SB!  It is killing me.  I'm stuck at great.  Ab_grp and Langue_doc, congratulations on making genius!  And ciao_yall, congrats on amazing. 

ab_grp

Now I have managed to just cross over the threshold to Alpha (at 248 pts).  Yikes, not sure what could be remaining at this point, but maybe I will find some more.  I've run across two pangrams so far, by the way.  Good luck on it. 

Still no real luck on LB.  Congrats on the 2fer yesterday Langue_doc! And congrats on your 2fers yesterday and today, cathwen!

ciao_yall

Too bad LB won't take swear words or I'd have a 2fer.

cathwen - I would love to watch you do LB because you crush it every day. How does your brain work so fast? What is your strategy?

Langue_doc

ab_grp, thanks for the information about the second pangram. SB didn't accept candida which I didn't think was a proper noun. It's a wearisome one today.

ab_grp

You're welcome! I'm glad if the second pangram info helped.  I am really bugged about a few words not being accepted.  We eventually gave up after we both got to Alpha and compared and had a couple remaining points.  Naturally, the remaining word is one we probably could have gotten if we had remembered it, given what we had already.  Argh again.  Although the bookkeeping part was tedious today, at least there were a fair number of interesting words mixed in, unlike the challenge from last week.

Ciao_yall, I hear you on the swear words.  I keep hoping and trying, but no.  I thought I had a good contender today, but it wouldn't accept the word I made out of the remaining letters.  I guess it is considered a proper noun, so just like the cussing it is not acceptable.  Boo.

But I did set a new record for myself on hard sudoku at ~ 20 mins with no errors.  I guess it was a pretty easy one!

Hopefully I'll have time to get back to LB after my call.  Good luck!

cathwen

Just made it to genius, but what a struggle.  I can't imagine what's left, but apparently the maximum score is 273.  I only found one pangram. Ab_grp, congratulations on Alpha!  Wow!  I thought this was a very difficult one.

Ciao_yall, I don't know why I've been getting LB so consistently.  I just play around with words, but then everyone does that.  You all are much better at SB than I am. 

ciao_yall

Got a 2fer. Also would have had another one but it said it wasn't a word, though another solution had a word in the same theme. So, I dunno. And lots of B4SS solutions.

Yes, also crabby about "candida"