News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Slowish start, but managed to hit Genius and a 2fer (oops it was a b4ss) on my first cup of coffee.

(Was feeling the pressure when I opened the thread this morning). (Still am)

ETA # 3: Okay, NOW a 2fer.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on February 08, 2021, 07:57:05 AM
Thanks for the message, ciao_yall! Sometimes I think 3fers can lead to 2fers, but like Langue_doc I have started just going for 2fer or nothing after being motivated here.  I hope today's is easier.  At least I finally figured out how to do LB on my phone, though it's kind of a pain without the keyboard.  I tried it a bit last night, but no luck.  Never would have gotten those words!

I screen shot my 3fers and B4SS as I get them so I can keep words that lead to others.

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on February 08, 2021, 08:51:24 AM
Thanks for the message, ciao_yall! Sometimes I think 3fers can lead to 2fers, but like Langue_doc I have started just going for 2fer or nothing after being motivated here.  I hope today's is easier.  At least I finally figured out how to do LB on my phone, though it's kind of a pain without the keyboard.  I tried it a bit last night, but no luck.  Never would have gotten those words!

I screen shot my 3fers and B4SS as I get them so I can keep words that lead to others.

That is a good idea.  I usually just write my contenders and the remaining letters down and hope that the remnants will spark something.  But you are usually more successful than I am at LB, so it seems like you have an approach that works! Congrats on the 2fer!! Oh yeah, that day when ER were on the same side and ING were on the same side, of course ZINGER kept popping into my head. :-(

Congrats on genius, ciao_yall and Parasaurolophus!

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on February 08, 2021, 08:55:00 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on February 08, 2021, 08:51:24 AM

That is a good idea.  I usually just write my contenders and the remaining letters down and hope that the remnants will spark something.  But you are usually more successful than I am at LB, so it seems like you have an approach that works! Congrats on the 2fer!! Oh yeah, that day when ER were on the same side and ING were on the same side, of course ZINGER kept popping into my head. :-(

Congrats on genius, ciao_yall and Parasaurolophus!

Yeah, then I stare at them in between rounds to see if I can find some patterns. I know I'm getting warm when my 3fers include weird little words like KIR, GAP, etc to use up a final letter or transition between two longer ones.

Parasaurolophus

Whew, made it to QB! It's been a little while.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Congrats on the QB, Parasaurolophus!!

Ciao_yall, I also tend to notice that there are common letters in the ones remaining from my contenders, so I know I need to try to make use of particular ones.  It obviously doesn't always or often lead to success, but sometimes it does. 

Langue_doc

Regarding the crossword, I saw last evening that Rex Parker had tweeted that it was more like a W or Th in difficulty and took him a minute more than his Monday average, so I was interested to try it out.  I didn't think it was difficult at all (sounds like Langue_doc thought the same) and came in 30 seconds under my Monday average, but I think it just goes to show that each puzzle has a unique interaction with each puzzle solver, no matter what skill level or experience. 

The crossword was most definitely not a W/Th level. Standards are getting lower everywhere.

Congrats all on QBs and two-fers.

Yesterday I missed the eco-words and a few others. Tepee somehow didn't get entered despite it being my first word. LB wasn't too bad given the -ing and -er configurations today.

ab_grp

Oops, I had a mistake in my recollection that I found when I just went back to see if he said more about his issues with it.  Rex Parker said today's was more like a T or W.  https://twitter.com/rexparker/status/1358562490972520451 Sorry about that.  Still, I didn't think it was difficult, not W level (and certainly not Th... again, my mistake!). 

I finally got a 2fer! And my initial word used all except one letter, so it was very, very easy to find a mate! Whee.

Langue_doc

Woohoo ab_grp. There are probably several solutions today.

Rex Parker seems to be overly optimistic about the difficulty levels as this crossword (CW) was a very easy one.

ab_grp

Thanks, Langue_doc! I wonder if it's ever been possible to get a pangram 1fer.  Rex P. often gripes about the Shortz-era puzzles, but I was surprised that he thought this one was harder than a typical Monday.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on February 08, 2021, 04:06:03 PM
Thanks, Langue_doc! I wonder if it's ever been possible to get a pangram 1fer.  Rex P. often gripes about the Shortz-era puzzles, but I was surprised that he thought this one was harder than a typical Monday.

I recall we had a 1fer, B4SS maybe a month ago. LEXICOGRAPHY would have been the word.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ciao_yall on February 08, 2021, 05:05:13 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on February 08, 2021, 04:06:03 PM

I recall we had a 1fer, B4SS maybe a month ago. LEXICOGRAPHY would have been the word.
I remember that one  Just got my second two-fer.

The crosswords used to be much more difficult in the Will Shortz era, and even more challenging when Eugene Maleska was the editor. The clues were also different--I remember struggling with anagrams.

ETA The young'uns should take a look at those.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on February 08, 2021, 03:32:55 PM
Oops, I had a mistake in my recollection that I found when I just went back to see if he said more about his issues with it.  Rex Parker said today's was more like a T or W.  https://twitter.com/rexparker/status/1358562490972520451 Sorry about that.  Still, I didn't think it was difficult, not W level (and certainly not Th... again, my mistake!). 

I finally got a 2fer! And my initial word used all except one letter, so it was very, very easy to find a mate! Whee.

You have me curious right now! Can't wait for the big reveal tomorrow!

cathwen

Good morning, everyone!

Ab_grp, I am also dying to see your 2-fer! 

My LB yesterday was PROWLING-GRACKLE.  I'm curious to see what everyone else got, especially Langue_doc, who got two 2-fers!

Today's LB was a bit challenging, but I finally found a 2-fer.

I missed QB yesterday by one word—googol.  I would never have guessed that in a million years.  Today's SB apparently has three pangrams, but I've only found two. 

Langue_doc

cathwen, congrats on your two-fer.

My first pair was packing-growler, and then I found prowling-grackle (lots of grackles in some local parks). I haven't had a chance to look at today's puzzle.

The three pangrams aren't too difficult--more like variations on the same theme. As for googol, I remember seeing it on an earlier puzzle, but I still don't know what it means.

Happy solving, all!