News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Congrats on the 2fer, cathwen! My bee level was Beta as well.  Without help, I wouldn't have gotten to Alpha and then QB, and I wouldn't have gotten a 2fer.  Some days, I tell ya.  Tomorrow has the potential to be a different one, at least! Of course, I could be kicking myself in the future for having said that.  Different is not always better...!

Langue_doc

Morning!

Pure or impure, they're all victories.

LB words: gauzes/sunflower. As for today, I found the two-fer almost an hour ago. I've been up early for no particular reason, so got cracking on the puzzles.

SB: 90 points; last word yesterday was 'largo' which I remembered from an earlier puzzle. I found 'logogram' by playing with the letters. Today's words are ones that are used frequently--even more frequently than some of the words in yesterday's puzzle.

Happy solving, all.

Parasaurolophus

I can never remember 'aurora'.

Easy Bee today, though. On to LB!
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - went back up into the Crossword Orgy and achieved alpha. Despite their best hints I still missed largo and logogram or would have had QB.

LB - gazes-sunflower. Kind of a boring one. I had some fun words - wrangle, zealous, but twas not to be. Alas.

Last night our college Board meeting ran late, so at midnight the new SB came up and I'm already at genius. LB I have a 3fer. Now I'm up early for a hiring committee so while I wait for everyone to drone on I'll have puzzle time.

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Whelp, got the 2fer in LB almost immediately, then immediately saw a variant 2fer. Easy-peasy!
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Parasaurolophus, I also missed aurora yesterday.  I have on several occasions mentioned bonking myself on the head with a dictionary, and this was one of them.  The one comfort is that the freedom of the world does not rest on our ability to solve word puzzles!  : )

Congratulations on Alpha, ciao-yall! 

Today I'm at Beta on SB (90 points).  I'm in my usual quandary of wondering what other words there could possibly be!  18 points until QB, and doubtful I'll get there.

Yesterday I had gauzes-sunflower for LB.  And I found a 2-fer today. 

ciao_yall

2fer. Woohoo. Guess I'll have to pay attention in my hiring committee after all.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Wow, lots of success already! Congrats on all the 2fers!  And congrats to Parasaurolophus on QB?

I was missing mammogram and logogram yesterday.  Langue_doc's hints helped me to get both.  Thanks again!

Today I think I might be one word from QB, at 103.  Hopefully more coffee and a banana will help.  I suspect husband and I have what each other needs given total words achieved, but it's way too early in the day to compare.  So far no tough words that I can recall, except one that has been in the bee a bit and another that I tried that I wasn't quite sure was a word.  Suffixes are helpful.

Still have to finish crossword, try LB, sudokus... lots of fun ahead.  Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on February 26, 2021, 08:53:28 AM
Wow, lots of success already! Congrats on all the 2fers!  And congrats to Parasaurolophus on QB?

Oh no, just the Beta for me! Sorry I was unclear. I meant that I got to genius quickly and easily. But getting to QB looks like it'll be tough for me.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 26, 2021, 08:57:15 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on February 26, 2021, 08:53:28 AM

Oh no, just the Beta for me! Sorry I was unclear. I meant that I got to genius quickly and easily. But getting to QB looks like it'll be tough for me.

Well, that's still awesome.  I will consider it a prophecy: I see QB in your future today.  You are on a roll with the bee and kicking butt on LB!

Langue_doc

'baobab', the nemesis of my SB, has gone mainstream. Last night I saw the word in large letters on a TV commercial, probably for a lotion or something similar (I usually mute commercials). The commercial, and the word, appeared at least twice during the show, which was sort of a cop/crime show.

Now I have to decompress from the trips to grocery stores (three separate ones--25 miles apart, the joys of ethnic neighborhoods and stores. There's usually at least one person breathing down my neck while I'm at the register at the regular grocery store, who I have to loudly and pointedly ask to step back. The cashier was sympathetic, but couldn't do anything. The woman did step back once I confronted her.

I think I made it to 98 or 99 this morning.

Sounds as though everyone has something to celebrate puzzle-wise.

ab_grp

That's funny about baobab! I recently realized it is in some of my hair goo.  Not sure if that will help me remember it in the future, though.  Hope you can recover from your shopping trips.  That sounds un-fun and anxiety-inducing.

Husband and I realized that we probably had the same list after he acquired two more four-letter words that I had, and we had no idea on going forward, so we gave up.  Missed a five-letter that I'm not too sorry about but that we may have gotten eventually.  At least it gave me a chance to update my database, remove duplicates, and alphabetize to make the program run a little faster in the future.

Victorious on sudokus, loads of seemingly good contenders on the LB but no mate so far.

Langue_doc

Thanks for letting me vent, ab_grp. I managed to find a parking spot (metered street parking) after the long drive, and also found what I needed in the usual grocery store, so can't complain, especially if Ben & Jerry's is on sale.

I think I need just one more word for SB, but don't have any energy to continue.

I am sending you a hint for LB; please check your PM.

ab_grp

Thanks for the hints, Langue_doc! Success! I included some hints in my reply for what I thought your missing bee word might be (it was ours, at least), in case you are interested.  Beeware! ha.  Enjoy your Ben & Jerry's! I haven't had that in a while but liked Chubby Hubby a lot.

Langue_doc

Thanks, ab_grp for your hint. I am now a pure Alpha and an impure Queen. Hah! What a word--I might not have found it tonight, but vaguely recall having seen it on an earlier puzzle.

As for baobab, I think it was in a Pantene commercial. I still have to look up the spelling for this word and also for bonobo.

On to tomorrow's crosswords which come out at 10 tonight.