News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Based on what ciao_yall wrote, I think I may have the same LB solution.

I'm at Alpha on SB, with three words and 8 points to go until QB.  Probably won't make it, as I'm running out of time and patience.  But I'm happy enough with Alpha.

ciao_yall

I can't wait until tomorrow's big reveal!

ab_grp

Congrats on the QB, Langue_doc! I agree, no real difficult words.  One is a word I have often missed in the past, and then I had a good string of times when I didn't, but I almost missed it today.  I will send bee energy to all those still working in case it helps! Sounds like cathwen just needs a 6 and two 4s? Maybe the 6 is my final word (or could be the one I just referred to).  I am a little miffed that a possible pangram was denied despite being in the dictionary but will hold off on shaming it here today because it is related to another word in the puzzle.  Good luck!

Congrats on the 2fers to all three of you! Now please send me your LB energy or brainpower. 

Also think we had grackles growing up in PA and that my mother found them to be quite annoying.  From the map in Langue_doc's link, it doesn't look like they bother folks out on the west coast, though.

ETA: Finally got a 2fer!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: cathwen on February 27, 2021, 12:44:42 PM
I tried glug, but it didn't "take" at first—maybe I mistyped?  Then later I tried again, and it was accepted. 

I had exactly the same experience, although I'm convinced I tried 'glug' at least seven times before it was accepted.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

LB yesterday was pitcher-ropewalk. I overlooked that I reused the "p" as well as the "e." I found cakewalk, then started playing with other words with "walk" and thought of a tightrope. The rest is history.

Slow start this morning on both LB and SB but will get there. Also have the Sunday papers so those will keep me busy.

Have a nice solving day!

Langue_doc

Difficult bee today, but just made it to 82 points. Interesting pangram.

LB, workplace/either.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good afternoon? Still morning here, though!

For LB yesterday, I got PHOTOCOPIER-RACEWALK, so three different solutions so far.  So many b4ss.

Today's bee is tough but short! I think I'm only at 76.  The pangram did take me a bit, and there are a few that might be overlooked.  Yesterday my final word was incant, and husband's was vivacity. 

I forgot to mention that I think husband had a similar issue with words disappearing or not being registered.  It was maybe early last week when I had gotten to QB and was helping him figure out what he had left.  He figured a few of them out, and when we went back to it he had fewer points than before, and some of the words were no longer in the list.  Very odd.  I saw him enter them myself!

I got so wrapped up in trying to solve LB (and look at office furniture... woohoo) that I totally forgot about the sudokus coming out yesterday afternoon, so I still have to work on those.

Happy Sunday solving!

ciao_yall

Amazing (no pangram yet) and a 3fer. Plus we got 2 Sunday NYT magazines because last week's was held up due to the storms, so lots of puzzles for today.

Went out to dinner with some friends and sat on a back patio which felt almost normal! But now I really need a long walk to work off the food, wine and bit of a hangover.

cathwen

Wow!  Lots of different answers for yesterday's LB!  I had wartlike-epoch—so ciao_yall, not the same solution at all!  I also had powerwalker, and then a few letters left over which I could not form into a word.  Just playing around haphazardly, I typed raitch, which LB accepted!  What does that mean, I wondered?  It's not in my dictionary, so I decided that even if LB accepted it, I could not.  Thus the search for a better solution.  Maybe someday I'll try the word in SB and see if they take it!

I don't yet have a solution for today's LB, though. 

As for yesterday's SB, I missed two words I should have gotten:  acai and acacia (which I usually get!). I also missed attaint. 

Today's SB is going slowly.  I'm at amazing.  No pangram yet.

ab_grp

Cathwen, I had powerwalker and thought I had tried raitch just for the heck of it, because it was getting to me that I couldn't figure out how to use the few remaining letters! I guess I thought about it but didn't actually make the attempt.  In any case, I kind of feel the same way when I get one of those "solutions" that just don't sit right.   And I will go ahead and guess that SB won't accept it!

Seems like a slow bee day.  I picked up a few more points, now at 83.  Still no alpha.  Egad.  I have a couple okay contenders for LB, but nothing too promising yet.  At least I got the sudokus done and my Duolingos for end of tournament.

Langue_doc

No queen, no two-fer, no regrets.

ab_grp

Well, I finally got to 95, so still 5 more points to QB.  And it won't take a 5-letter word that I thought of that is in the dictionary.  Blerg.  Yesterday I thought it might accept ANTICAVITY as a pangram, but no.  And that is also in the dictionary, unhyphenated.

cathwen

SB is not coming along well at all, but at least I finally found a 2-fer for LB. 

Ab_grp, I hope you get to QB!  I haven't made it past amazing. 

ciao_yall

With help from the crossword column I achieved genius and 99 points. There is one J-word I can't get.

Got stuck on LB so sought help as well. I had found the first word and variations of the second word, just hadn't quite put them together.

Langue_doc

ciao_yall, and everybody else, I can send you the hint for the j word, if you like.

I'm grading, so have to be content with my 90. Besides, tomorrow's crosswords are probably out, so no more LB or SB for me tonight.