News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Congrats on the 2fers, Langue_doc and OneMoreYear! And for QB, Langue_doc! Now I will have to redouble my efforts to find a second solution.    Hopefully this will be a puzzle with lots of different solutions!

Langue_doc

First word is  a 8 letter word in Sunday's crossword. This pair takes too many letters, but works.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius before the pangram. I need five more points today. libelee was my last word yesterday--should have seen it earlier as I've seen this word before.

fleabanes/sublimity and then fumbles/sanity; the first word was the one in Sunday's crossword.

ab_grp, I agree with you about missing the changing seasons when one lives in other parts of the country. I think the colors are tied to the amount of rainfall as temperature as you noted. A year or two ago, when the leaves were at their brightest, a storm passed through sweeping all the leaves off the trees.

Just took care of the student of the four emails, so phew!

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

And congratulations on the double 2fer yesterday, Langue_doc!  I had your second one, fumbles-sanity.  I'm eager to see if anyone found other combinations.  It's always fun when there is more than one answer! 

I have a 2fer today as well.

As for SB, my last word yesterday—embarrassingly—was book.  It's one of those words that I saw early on, but I was going for GN4L, so I didn't enter it. Then at the end (with help from letter distributions on Wordplay) I realized that I had never put it in. 

Today I am at Beta with the pangram.  I may need some nudging to find the remaining three words.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - Forum help for bailiff, biaxial.

LB - unfasten-nimbly which suggests going to the pond for some debauchery, yes?

Ah, seasons. I grew up in Southern California and never understood "seasons" or "talking about the weather" until spending time on the East Coast. Wow, the scenery really changes out there, doesn't it?

Anyway, happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to QBABM! It was quick to GN4L.  Good luck! Yesterday my final ones were biaxial, liable, baba.  I usually get the latter two, at least.  Oh well!

For LB, I got the same as ciao_yall and agree that sounds like the story of an interesting afternoon at the pond! Langue_doc, when you mentioned the crossword I saw fleabane but couldn't get a mate for it.  But I guess none of us got the schmofficial solution? Congrats on the double 2fers and on your 2fer today, cathwen!

I will tell a slightly (?) embarrassing story about seasons.  I had the opportunity to go to St. John (USVI) with some friends after the first of my comps (during June) and asked one of the men working at a hotel there if they ever get snow.  He didn't stop laughing for a while.  I just couldn't imagine a place that didn't get snow.  You can tell I didn't get out often or at least to warmer climates.

I hope the storm coming this week doesn't remove any more leaves that have the potential to change colors! And I'm glad you were able to deal with a four-email student, Langue_doc.  Yikes!

Happy solving!

monarda

Hi y'all!

Just getting into these daily.
What's a 2fer? And LB and GN4L?

I get to the Geneious level all the time, and the pangram,
but are these unbeknownst-to-me-abbreviations above
levels beyond Geneious? Or???
I assume QB is all the words in the list.

Thanks for 'splaining.

ciao_yall

2fer means solving Letter Boxed in 2 words.

LB is Letter Boxed. It's another New York Times puzzle with a red tile on the same page as Spelling Bee.

GN4L means Genius No Four Letters. It means you achieved Genius without using any of the 4 letter words.

Welcome!

Langue_doc

Quote from: ciao_yall on September 14, 2021, 07:25:02 AM

LB - unfasten-nimbly which suggests going to the pond for some debauchery, yes?

Does reek of bodice rippers, doesn't it?

QB and two-fer.

Monarda, this is an academic forum, so please remember to use standard written English and correct spellings if you want your fellow forumites to engage with you.

ab_grp

Congrats on the QB and 2fer, Langue_doc! I have not had too much luck with LB but am keeping at it with a few contenders in my pocket.

ciao_yall

QB WG and 2LL, no need for definitions.

Was very close to an LB solution so got a hint and boom, done. Shall reveal tomorrow.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius and pangram so far. Woke up around 3, worked on the bee, then went back to sleep after a lot of effort. Same story the night before.

Last word yesterday was noel, which I eventually found because Wordplay noted that I needed another no- initial word.

pretzels/squawk

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QB - last word was noel - keep forgetting it's not capitalized.

LB - was stuck at putzes-squawker-real and needed a hint to turn it into pretzels-squawk. Lately getting close 3fers but needing more help than I would like to finish the job.

Happy solving!

monarda

Ha! I see what the problem was.
I use a genetic analysis software package nearly every day. The package is called Geneious.  For gene analysis.
Apparently that's taken over my normal spelling. Whoops! Sorry.
Extra funny on a spelling bee forum.