News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Sloggy today on SB.

Quick 3fer, will the streak of close-but-no-cigar continue? Find out at midnight, Pacific Time.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ciao_yall on September 15, 2021, 08:08:36 AM
Sloggy today on SB.

Same here. Found the second pangram though, but have to call it a day as there's course prep for next week and poems to read for the book discussion today.

cathwen

Good morning!

I'm at Beta today with both pangrams.   Ciao_yall, it does seem sloggy.  I'm out of ideas. 

Yesterday my last words were keno and kennel.

Like Langue_doc, I had pretzels-squawk for LB.  This is also the schmofficial solution.  I have a 2fer today, too.

Welcome, Monarda!  Genetics—how cool!  That was my Road Not Taken when I was an undergrad.  I had seriously considered switching to biology, as I was fascinated by genetics (and hoped to pair it with physical anthropology)—but stuck with my original major in the end.   Several years ago, I decided to take a couple of genetics courses on Coursera just out of interest.  The courses went considerably beyond what I had studied as an undergrad (lots of changes in 50 years!), but reinforced my love for the topic.  Anyway, glad you're with us!

Back to puzzle talk:  Some other terms we sometimes use on this forum are Beta and Alpha.  Since genius = 70% of the possible number of points, Beta = 80%, and Alpha 90%.  The nytbee.com site will tell you how many points, number of pangrams and words, etc. 

Happy puzzling, everyone!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon (just barely)!

I think I have 5 more words to go but did get to Alpha and GN4L.  I think keno, felon were my last ones yesterday.

Congrats on the 2fers yesterday! Gee whiz.  I just couldn't pull that one out.  Too many difficult letters that didn't want to seem to work together.  And congrats on getting another one today, cathwen!

Looks like a Windows update with restart needed, so better do that before starting the sudokus.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

I ended up getting help for both QB and LB. Just wasn't coming together...

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius so far. Last words yesterday were laid and onion--I distinctly remember typing both, especially the latter along with anion and aioli.

magnetos/slackly

The NE corner of the crossword is uncharted territory!

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - got some help to to finish off some basic words - inland, inroad, railroad.

LB - Had some good 3fers magnet-tokens-scaly, mocks-slangy-yet but then got a nudge for a 2fer cosmetology-yank.

Anyway, happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius and pangram so far. 

Yesterday I got to GN4L, but missed some easy 4Ls that I had been putting off until later—aria, iron, noir, rind.  I think that when I see them, I must think that I've entered them—which is not the case.  So I got to QB yesterday, but with help.  My last words were radii and radial.  I'm not doing GN4L today.

LB:  I had the schmofficial cosmetology-yank.  I do not yet have a 2fer today, in spite of finding a number of really good words. 

Not sure how much more time I can spend on this today.  I have to revise a quiz (which I should have done yesterday!) and respond to student postings.  But I'll undoubtedly turn back to both SB and LB to see if I can make any progress. 

Happy puzzling, everyone!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I think I have three more words to QB, got to GN4L but not Alpha yet.  Long words left! I am surprised we were the only ones who got tripped up by dirndl yesterday, though I think it's been in there somewhat recently.  I kept thinking there was something like it... dirdil, dirdol, dirdal... but did not remember the actual word! Argh. 

No luck on LB again yesterday! Congrats on your solutions! Though I did take inspiration from Langue_doc and emailed some suggestions for that puzzle to the NYT folks.  Maybe they will implement them at some point.  Probably not.

Making progress on the bee program, slowly.  I can pull in the answers now but have to parse them and then get it to output the kinds of hints I want.  It won't really be that helpful unless I can make it an app, which I have never done.  But it's a project and kind of fun to try now and again.

Good luck on the crossword, Langue_doc, and with your quiz revisions, cathwen!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

LB isn't giving us much to work with, is it?

cathwen

Langue_doc

I have an eight-letter word but can't find a mate with the four remaining letters.

It took me a long time to find the correct spelling of dirndl--I knew the word and tried various spellings, only to have to resort to google to get the correct one.

Am sitting by the computer waiting for students to show up for the Office Hour chat session. There's one shy soul who has been lurking for almost an hour now, but who still hasn't come out despite my encouragement.

ab_grp

Finally got to QB with help from Shunn for the final two words.  Ugh.

And no LB luck yet here, either.  Congrats on the 8-letter word, Langue_doc! Maybe it will just lead somewhere yet.  I don't have anything that long.  Too many letters I want to use consecutively that are on the same side!

Is this student lurking virtually, Langue_doc (since you mentioned the computer), or lurking outside your office or something? I am trying to picture this situation with little success.  I hope they come out and chat at some point!

ciao_yall

I have several 2fer b4ss and plenty of 3fers.

cathwen

Well, I got to QB, but with an outrageous amount help.  For my last word, I resorted to definitions on Wordplay, and even then, had to go to Google to find a word I'd never heard of and could not have generated myself if I'd sat here all night.

Still no luck on LB!  Not my best puzzle day!