News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Two more words to QB today, still hoping to find them.  At least one word was not accepted that should have been.  I think tomcat, doodad were my final two yesterday.  Should have found them earlier!

Definitely also not feeling bad about not finding a 2fer given the schmofficial solution.  Congrats on getting it, cathwen! Whew! And congrats on your 2fers today, cathwen and ciao_yall!

Crossword took a while to figure out.  Time for sudokus and thankfully no calls until tomorrow.  Yesterdays were with friends but took up most of the afternoon.  Tomorrow is for a new work venture, so we'll see how that goes.

Happy solving!

onthefringe

I got the schmofficial franc-cryptograms yesterday, and I'm fairly sure my 2fer today is also schmofficial, but neither time nor energy to go looking for a different one.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Wow, congrats on also getting yesterday's LB, onthefringe! That was a tough one.  And congrats on another one today!

We finally compared for our last two words since we had team QB and weren't getting anywhere.  He beat me to QB by about a second or two. 

Parasaurolophus

Genius, but nothing else yet.

Yesterday's LB was indeed tough! Well done!
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Langue_doc

QB and twofer. Only two words brought me joy (channeling
Marie Kondo).

Langue_doc

Good morning!

108 points so far and a couple of pangrams.

aquavit/torching

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Yesterday - Genius and quota-archiving.

Quick genius with 2 pangrams, and a 2fer already. Guess I have no excuses to procrastinate doing all this grading...

Parasaurolophus

Got to 113 quite quickly today, too. 2 more words to QB, apparently.
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Good morning!

QBABM already!  Yesterday I needed a nudge from WP.  Tidily was my last word. 

Ciao_yall, congratulations on your 2fer!  I am still struggling.

Yesterday, I had the same answer as Langue_doc:  aquavit-torching.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I also made it to QBABM pretty quickly, which was nice! Congrats on your, cathwen! I'm sure others will follow.  My final ones yesterday were daylit, daylily.  I have trouble with those, I guess.  Not sure why additivity wasn't accepted, and husband suggested davit, which apparently has something to do with ships.

I had the same LB as cathwen and Langue_doc, aquavit-torching.  I have some good ideas for today but no luck yet.  Congrats, ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Well above genius with at least one pangram, but that's it for today. QB yesterday.

airfare/eponymous; couldn't find a mate for anonymous.

Crosswords and sudokus are done, so it's back to grading and phone calls. I liked the 1A, even though it took me a while to find the answer. It was a relatively easy crossword, compared to the old ones from the Maleska and Shortz eras.

cathwen, hope your mobility has improved. I was thinking of you yesterday during my short bird walk where we saw assorted warblers, several sparrow species, a peregrine falcon flying overhead, a heron, and the usual bluejays, cardinals, and flickers. This park had a small pollinator garden which seemed to be a favorite place for the monarchs and other butterflies.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Langue_doc, thanks for the good wishes and the list of birds you saw!  Warblers—I've been on the lookout for what the Peterson Guide calls "confusing fall warblers," but none have graced my dogwood tree or the trees beyond our patio, at least while I've been looking.  That park is obviously a bird and butterfly paradise!

My mobility is improving—I now use a cane rather than a walker and can move around fairly well, although I still have to be careful about bending.  I may attempt some actual baking today—I have overripe bananas that need to be turned into banana bread.  I can inch around the kitchen holding onto the counter.  And I can stand without support.  My husband says he will assist me as needed.

As for the puzzles:  Congratulations to Langue_doc and anyone else who got a 2fer yesterday!  I did not find one.  However, I have one for today.

As for SB, I have all three pangrams and am at QB-6.  I'll give it some time, but I probably will look at some hints later.  Yes, I was up early.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - Genius and both pangrams pretty quickly yesterday. Probably could have made QB ABM but I was off doing other things.

LB - faire-eponymous. I was surprised it took faire but who am I to argue with a 2fer?

Happy solving! I'm grading and dropping off flowers and chocolate to a friend in the hospital today.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

We each made it to Alpha and decided to compare since husband has to go into work for a few hours.  We each eventually made it to QB with Shunn's help.  Looking at the list, I can't remember what my final word was yesterday.  Maybe medium.

No LB solution despite a bunch of good contenders, so congrats, Langue_doc and ciao_yall! And both different solutions than the schmofficial one! And congrats on your 2fer today, cathwen!

Langue_doc, that sounds like another nice bird outing! The crossword wasn't too tough, though the NE got me for a while.

Cathwen, so glad to hear that you are more mobile and that your husband will assist with the cooking (I would too, for some banana bread!).  I hope you continue to heal well.

Ciao_yall, I hope your visit with your friend in the hospital goes well.  Those are thoughtful gifts!

Happy solving!