News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

I got busy and forgot I hadn't hit GWP yet, so no joy today.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Morning!

GwPABM yesterday. Peeked at Shunn after I found G donating, noticed there were 2 Ps and a long i word so indignation jumped out. Words like doggo... okay.

LB - just 3fers including purple-epoch-hinky, lockup-pincher-rye, pouch-hike-eyeliner. I did find hyper at one point but no mates. That was a tricky one yesterday!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I have three more words to QB and hit Alpha (but just exactly).  Yesterday doggo got me to genius (ugh), and I think adagio was my final word, though I usually get musical terms earlier on.

No luck on LB.  Wondering if cathwen got the schmofficial solution or another one!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on November 28, 2021, 09:03:53 AM
Good morning/afternoon!

I have three more words to QB and hit Alpha (but just exactly).  Yesterday doggo got me to genius (ugh), and I think adagio was my final word, though I usually get musical terms earlier on.

No luck on LB.  Wondering if cathwen got the schmofficial solution or another one!

Happy solving!

I'm guessing she did because the LB group I play on only found that one, or close variations of it.

cathwen

Good afternoon!

No, my LB was not the official one, but it was weird:  keypuncher-replicon.  I just guessed at the last word, but apparently it's a genetic term.

It took me ages to find a 2fer today, but at least they are normal words.

As for SB, I got to QB yesterday only after some WordPlay help.  Noodging was my last word.  Doodad, which I usually find, was second last.  Today I have eight words to go, so I'm far from QB.  Congratulations on Alpha, ab_grp!  I think this is a hard one.

We had our first snowflakes today—just a few flurries, and then it stopped.  Only a few more weeks before it's officially winter.  It's not my favorite season, but I'm trying to think of things I like about it.  Cozy sweaters and hot chocolate come to mind.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Congrats on a different 2fer, cathwen! I like yours better than the schmofficial one.  And congrats on getting one today! I have a couple good leads but nothing yet.  Also, noodging was my husband's final word yesterday.  Good luck today! And enjoy the parts of the season that give you enjoyment! We almost never get snow (or we just get flurries), and none has arrived yet.  We've been thinking about the cold weather meals we are looking forward to.

I got to impure QB, needing first letters for the final two.  I have gotten them before.  Husband got to QBABH. 

ab_grp

Ugh, just realized I had an easy 2fer.  I had part of it but was having a hard time seeing the mate for whatever reason.  Anyway, got one!

cathwen

Congratulations on your 2fer, ab_grp!  And on QB.  I also got to QB, needing a hint for the final word—so an impure QB also. 

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius so far. I don't have the energy to chase down more words today.

I managed to find the pangrams and reach genius during the last few days and also complete vertex. As for the crosswords, I didn't have the time for them, so I lost the streak--would have lost it anyway during the Christmas break next month.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - GwP, and then got up in the middle of the night and hit GwP again. ABM, but that goes without saying.

LB - Missed it by that much! I had extremity and amazing at different times. Damn you, Sam, and your multiple suffixes! Plenty of 3fers, though. 3fer last night as well, so maybe I'll get a 2fer soon.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I got to QB yesterday, albeit with help in the WordPlay definitions to find gavage.  I probably should have found it just by playing around with combinations with the -age suffix.

Today I am at Alpha with four words to go, and as usual, completely stumped as to what they might be.

LB:  I had the "official" extra-amazingly.  I have a 2fer today, too, but the second word is a little unusual.  If I have time, I may see if I can find a more normal pair.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I am also at Alpha with four words to go today! I wonder if they are the same as cathwen's.  Husband only has one word to go, and we have team QB per the lengths.  My final two yesterday were lavage, gavage, which I usually get I think.  When I got the first, the second came right away.  Oh well!

I also had the schmofficial solution yesterday.  I had amazingly but it took me forever to put it with extra even though I had tried that by itself.  Duh! Congrats on yours today, cathwen, and good luck if you look for a second pair!

Welcome back, Langue_doc! I hope your travels and visit were wonderful.  Sounds like you "missed" the one on Thursday (?) that people had trouble completing due to the technicalities of proper entry.  Even the constructor said he had trouble figuring out how to actually complete it!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

ab_grp, I found all the words (or at least all the words) on Thursday. I just looked up the solution for that date and distinctly remember getting peahen, phenomenon, and phenomena in addition to the other words in the solution. I don't recall if I worked on the puzzle early in the morning or late at night I know I found at least one pangram and reached genius every day.

Travels were good; as I was driving through the mountains I could see from the foliage the dividing line between us in the "south" and the relatively "north"; the trees still had reddish and brown leaves on the trees whereas in the "north" the trees other than the firs and other evergreens were mostly bare. On the way back, it was clear that the "north" had had snowfalls, whereas once I reached the "south" there was absolutely no trace of snow. The forecast of high 40s to low 50s turned into one of 30s with light snow on top of the earlier rain with the result that there were icy patches underneath the snow.

Saw three deer out the windows as I was having lunch; the same deer returned later in the day and were sauntering across the front yard.

ab_grp

Langue_doc, I was thinking of the Thursday crossword since you said you skipped it.  Per usual for a Thursday, it had some tricky business going on, and not all entry efforts led to success.  I'm glad you had a good trip! It's funny to see those kinds of dividing lines.  Where I used to live, there was a dividing line for precipitation (I95).  If there were icy patches under the snow, I'm glad they didn't cause you any trouble! And it's always nice to see deer (as long as they are not in the road).

Finally made it to QBABM. Husband beat me to it.  There weren't any really difficult words that I can recall.

And I have a few contenders for LB, but no mates yet.