News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Inhale Thread !

Started by mamselle, June 14, 2019, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Happy New Year to those celebrating Rosh HaShanah!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

The gym-ing I've been doing is starting to produce muscle bulges.

sprout

Quote from: ergative on September 30, 2019, 05:30:10 AM
The gym-ing I've been doing is starting to produce muscle bulges.

Nice!  I've been managing to get to the gym more regularly too, and I love feeling an actual bit of firmness when I flex.

paultuttle

New car! And yes, it's red and fast and has a stick instead of an automatic.

(I only had two choices for midsize sedans that come with a stick: VW Jetta and Honda Accord. I chose the latter, for many reasons, not least of which were the current acceleration and the future maintenance costs.)

So, woo hoo! And let the tickets commence.

FishProf

New (to me) car.  2012 Prius Plus.  I love it.  I have nearly doubled my mpg.

I gave up a CUV, but MrsFishProf has a Honda CRV so I can still drive that when needed.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

namazu

paultuttle and FishProf, enjoy your cars in good health (and safety)!

ergative

I have bought pants! Amidst the rows upon rows of 'slim', 'skinny', and 'super-skinny' fit trousers, which I was horrified to see have taken over not only women's sections, but also mens---my erstwhile home and go-to store of relaxed, comfy, pocketed pants---I found a sale rack of wide-leg khaki pants marked down to $18 or so, with no sizes between 0 and 10.  Since I am a perfect 10, I snagged them, tried them on, and in almost every way they are perfect: Exact fit, high-wasted enough not to show butt-crack when I sit down, thin enough fabric to dry in my wilderness of dryer-less laundry facilities without being flimsy, no pleats (wtf is that coming back?), super comfy, and properly wide legs. AND POCKETS! Not huge pockets--I got them in a women's department, so of course that was never an option--but large enough to fit my hand or a wallet reasonably well. The hems could perhaps be half an inch longer, but since I make it my policy to always wear interesting socks, I can roll with it. They are in all things the blandest, boringest, most perfectly unfashionable pants I have ever had the pleasure to wear.

I bought every one I could find on the rack, even the slightly weird shade of brownish-purple. It is my dearest wish that these will last me several years, until (dare I even dream?) the fashion of skinny fit has gone out again. I mean, after 'super-skinny' (that was new to me), they don't have much further to go before they bounce back.

wareagle

I am envious. I hate shopping for pants.  I mean, HATE it.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

ergative

Quote from: wareagle on October 28, 2019, 04:15:11 AM
I am envious. I hate shopping for pants.  I mean, HATE it.

It is a ghastly endeavor, indeed. I have spent three years in my current city without finding a good outlet for pants, so yesterday's victory is multiply satisfying.

ergative

My shiny new computer wasn't playing any sound. So I followed some instructions from the manufacturer's troubleshooting page, and they worked, and now I have sound again! Since otherwise I really like my computer, and spent quite a long time setting it up and getting all the software installed and so on, I'm really pleased I won't need to send it back.

mamselle

FOUND!

The 18th c. midwife's license I had NO REASON to expect would really turn up in the London records!

Ha!

More work to do, but several dots can be connected and the paper strengthened thereby!

YEAAAA!

《mamselle shimmies off to finish the happy dance begun very quietly in the archives when she turned the page over, and THERE IT WAS!》

OK, I know there a larger research discoveries in the world, but this search had a particular Kierkegaardian leap-like quality to it....

;--}

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

traductio

Learned today that my sabbatical request has been approved. I'm very excited about this.

mamselle

AmLitHist

Quote from: traductio on December 19, 2019, 06:52:58 PM
Learned today that my sabbatical request has been approved. I'm very excited about this.

Congratulations!  This was going to be my year to apply.....but my place "suspended" (i.e., we''l never see them again) sabbaticals last year.  All best on yours!

traductio

Quote from: AmLitHist on December 21, 2019, 02:45:37 PM
Quote from: traductio on December 19, 2019, 06:52:58 PM

Congratulations!  This was going to be my year to apply.....but my place "suspended" (i.e., we''l never see them again) sabbaticals last year.  All best on yours!

Thanks! I've been waiting almost 12 years for a sabbatical. I left my old school right after getting tenure, and although I had a shortened tenure clock at my new school, the counter for my sabbatical started at zero.

Sorry to here about your school suspending sabbaticals. That's increasingly common, I fear.