News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Happy Father's Day

Started by clean, June 14, 2019, 04:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

How will you celebrate any fathers that may be in your life?

Im going to visit my nephew and his family. He became a father earlier this month.

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

polly_mer

I plan to save up all my whippersnapper comments and share them in response to every dad joke during the Skype call.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

bioteacher

After I recovered from the "That's this weekend?" panic, I picked up a bouquet of mixed flowers from Costco. They are in the dining room waiting for Biodad to return tomorrow. He's serving as a soccer ref at a local tournament held at my undergraduate institution. I'm envious because is staying with my mom for the weekend and gets to see her. Bioette and I curled up in bed this afternoon for a movie/girl time.

We don't make a huge deal about it because I'm far more interested in begin respected as a parent and person the whole year than following the marketing cues of money makers. That said, it's nice to remember people important to us and let them know they are valued.

To all you men out there who have herded youngsters in the right direction, acted as a kind uncle, mentored someone in your profession or in your community, or generally tried to make the world a better place by your awesome example of how to be a man in this crazy world, thank you. You are awesome and your hard work is appreciated.

kaysixteen

Hmmm the one day each year I lament being an aging lifelong childless bachelor, as, as for several years by now, several people wished me a happy fd this weekend.  I just say thanks.  Is this commonplace behavior?  Btw as a general rule my attitude has always been like captain Picard, viewing children as not being necessary to complete one's life...

polly_mer

Quote from: kaysixteen on June 17, 2019, 06:25:36 PM
Is this commonplace behavior?

Yes, because people have expanded to "any male who has done anything even remotely positive for children's lives" and teachers qualify in many eyes.

Are you at least getting offered some goodies?  My parents once visited on Mother's Day and we took them out for lunch.  My mother was offered a huge chocolate-covered strawberry as part of the restaurant's promotion.  My dad said, "Hey, I'll be a mother if I can get one of those!"  We managed to get him one of those, even though I'd never seen them at our favorite restaurant before or since.

kaysixteen

It's been happy fd whilst going through checkout line, working pt retail job, etc.  Seems weird.... Do women get happy mother's day'd by strangers when they encounter them in public, when they don't have kids with them?

polly_mer

Quote from: kaysixteen on June 18, 2019, 10:07:32 PM
Do women get happy mother's day'd by strangers when they encounter them in public, when they don't have kids with them?

Dunno, I try not to go out in public.  However, I was called "he" several times in yesterday's meeting.  Perhaps I should have gone out on Father's Day and tried to garner some Happy Father's Day greetings.

mamselle

At least it wasn't "hu"!

<ducks and runs before octo shows up....actually, I wish she would!>

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Juvenal

My father's nearby--on a shelf out in the garage and mother is right next to him.  Neither seems too upset; we get along fine now.  When their "special" days come around I always think, "I've got to get them settled," but their days slip away and nothing is managed.  I seem to remember that Roz Chast in Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant? mentioned her closet in a like manner.
Cranky septuagenarian