News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fashion Advice

Started by Charlotte, January 08, 2021, 12:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlotte

I couldn't decide if this topic belongs in another area or not. My apologies if this is the wrong section!

I was hoping to get a discussion going on fashion. As a new professor, I'm still learning how to best present myself both in class and in faculty meetings, conferences, etc. I am not particularly knowledgeable about fashion or skilled with makeup. I also have not found a way to ask other professional women how to dress and how/if I should wear makeup without sounding... odd?

I have planned a portion of my next paycheck for some much needed professional clothes but I'm not certain what to purchase. Would anyone be willing to share ideas on clothing that they find is most appropriate for a professor to wear? What are your basic foundational pieces that you most frequently wear?

Do any of you not wear makeup? Have you found it to have any effect on your career/perception of you?

I do believe that I missed some important socialization on clothes and makeup. Would appreciate suggestions on how to catch up!

ciao_yall

Are you on Facebook?

There is a brand of professional women's clothing called Madame LaFleur that has quite a following. You can check out the group where we post product reviews, etc. https://www.facebook.com/groups/376188836108962 Generally well-made and flattering, though can be hit-or-miss from time to time.

I keep my makeup simple. Depending on your local COVID-19 drill, you might consider putting yourself in the hands of a makeup artist at one of the more natural looking department store lines such as Clinique or Bobby Brown. Let them know you want to keep it simple and let them recommend some basic color cosmetics for you.

Liquidambar

Quote from: Charlotte on January 08, 2021, 12:37:32 PM
I have planned a portion of my next paycheck for some much needed professional clothes but I'm not certain what to purchase. Would anyone be willing to share ideas on clothing that they find is most appropriate for a professor to wear? What are your basic foundational pieces that you most frequently wear?

That's very individual to you and your institution.  What do people wear who are similar to you in age and field?  It also depends on your priorities for figure flattery and any other issues.

For example, I need to wear certain shoes because of foot problems, which means I mostly need to wear pants rather than skirts.  When I was new to teaching, I bought leather oxford shoes that met my requirements, and I found some flattering cotton twill trousers and bought many of them.  I also bought flattering button-front shirts.  That was basically my uniform.  For variety, I could partially unbutton the shirt and wear a cami underneath.  However, I know many women are fine with skirts and/or find that button-front shirts don't work with their figure.

Now, though, I mostly wear jeans and a knit top or sweater (basically one level up from a t-shirt) because nobody cares.  It's similar to how others of my age dress in my current department.  My older department was slightly more formal, probably because most of them were older.

I guess you could look at what you currently like to wear and elevate it a couple levels.  I liked wearing jeans, so my twill trousers were the next level up.

Quote from: Charlotte on January 08, 2021, 12:37:32 PM
Do any of you not wear makeup? Have you found it to have any effect on your career/perception of you?

I do not.  This is a valid and very common choice in my science-y field.  Nobody cares, either at my school or among my professional network.

(Actually, I started wearing tinted lip balm in the past couple years since I think my lips are fading.  I picked the shade from Burt's Bees that is the same color as my lips when they're mildly irritated from rubbing them or brushing my teeth.)
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

mamselle

We need a shoe thread to go along with this.

The old forum had an amazing shoe thread.

Does anyone remember the title?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

I think this is very field, institution and person dependent. e.g., in the sciences people tend not to dress up, but things may be different in a business school, or an art department for that matter.

On teaching days, I tend to wear slacks or a longish skirt, with a sweater in the winter and a blouse or "fancy" t shirt in warmer weather. I don't wear jeans, or sleeveless things or causal t-shirts to teach, but many of my colleagues do and it's fine. If I'm just going to be in the lab and meeting with my grad students I would wear any of those things without a second thought.

I don't wear make-up except a little mineral foundation. Some do, some don't, and again I don't think anyone cares.

Bottom line I think is wear what is comfortable for you (physically and socially), within the range of what you see your department colleagues wearing.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

hmaria1609

Adding to Mamselle's post, we had a thread about make-up/girly skincare on the old fora. I use Clarins for my skin care; my dermatologist recommended it. Clarins also has cosmetics products but I haven't used them.

I work in a library so different dress code.

uni_cyclist

I only wear a bit of eyeliner and mascara, and people have told me they didn't realize I even wear any makeup. My go-to lip application is chapstick.

I'm most comfortable wearing a blouse, blazer, jeans, and what I would consider to be "nice" shoes (stylish leather ankle boots). I'll wear slacks and a button-down or sweater for variety, but it feels stiff to me to wear slacks. I'm also not terribly comfortable in skirts or dresses.

I'm at a new school this year and, of course, dressed up when I interviewed (blouse, suit jacket, suit pants) but I wouldn't dress like that for teaching and meetings. I'm a decade younger than the next-youngest woman and her style feels quite different than mine. She looks professional, but her style of flowing clothes and lots of draping of fabrics (shawls and scarves) wouldn't be my pick. Because I'm in a STEM field that can be more casual, I will probably stick with my jeans except for, say, the first day of class, when I tend to dress up.

ciao_yall

You all might find this event interesting.

MMLaFleur Capsule Wardrobe Workshop

I promise I am not an employee of this company, but I own a zillion of their dresses other pieces, get compliments on them, and have turned a number of colleagues onto this line.

Same with this one if you think MMLaFleur is a bit too corporate-ish for you and you want a bit of a more boho-chic-professional look.

CABIonine

They basically do Tupperware-like parties but it's not hard to find a "dealer" in your area. And it's a great bunch of women. Plus it's fun to be walking through an airport and randomly see someone wearing a piece you recognize.

Charlotte

Quote from: ciao_yall on January 08, 2021, 12:53:04 PM
Are you on Facebook?

There is a brand of professional women's clothing called Madame LaFleur that has quite a following. You can check out the group where we post product reviews, etc. https://www.facebook.com/groups/376188836108962 Generally well-made and flattering, though can be hit-or-miss from time to time.

I keep my makeup simple. Depending on your local COVID-19 drill, you might consider putting yourself in the hands of a makeup artist at one of the more natural looking department store lines such as Clinique or Bobby Brown. Let them know you want to keep it simple and let them recommend some basic color cosmetics for you.

I will look into this brand. Thank you!

Charlotte

Quote from: Liquidambar on January 08, 2021, 01:25:49 PM

That's very individual to you and your institution.  What do people wear who are similar to you in age and field?  It also depends on your priorities for figure flattery and any other issues.

For example, I need to wear certain shoes because of foot problems, which means I mostly need to wear pants rather than skirts.  When I was new to teaching, I bought leather oxford shoes that met my requirements, and I found some flattering cotton twill trousers and bought many of them.  I also bought flattering button-front shirts.  That was basically my uniform.  For variety, I could partially unbutton the shirt and wear a cami underneath.  However, I know many women are fine with skirts and/or find that button-front shirts don't work with their figure.

I really like the idea of keeping it simple like this. I do tend to have trouble finding button up shirts that do not gap in the chest area but I'm assuming it's just a matter of finding the right type shirt.

Charlotte

Quote from: mamselle on January 08, 2021, 02:19:52 PM
We need a shoe thread to go along with this.

The old forum had an amazing shoe thread.

Does anyone remember the title?

M.

I was hoping shoes would show up in the thread as well. Are there cute AND comfortable shoes or can there be only one option here? I was shoe shopping online last night for comfortable shoes finally settled on some ankle boots which I'm hoping will be versatile enough to work for awhile.

Charlotte

Quote from: Puget on January 08, 2021, 02:40:20 PM

Bottom line I think is wear what is comfortable for you (physically and socially), within the range of what you see your department colleagues wearing.

Yes, it does seem to vary according to field. Most of the women in my department are 20-35 years older than I am and physically very different in size. What works for them doesn't really work for me. I also put on a few pounds (which I needed) and I'm having trouble adjusting to my new size and figuring out what looks best.

I spent some time browsing Pinterest last night and found some ideas for outfits that I liked which helped solidify in my mind what I need to look for when shopping.

Charlotte

Quote from: hmaria1609 on January 08, 2021, 06:24:49 PM
Adding to Mamselle's post, we had a thread about make-up/girly skincare on the old fora. I use Clarins for my skin care; my dermatologist recommended it. Clarins also has cosmetics products but I haven't used them.

I work in a library so different dress code.

It's too bad we can't access that post! I need to work on my skincare routine as well. I might be able to forget about makeup if I can get my skin to look healthier.

Charlotte

Quote from: uni_cyclist on January 09, 2021, 07:46:04 AM
I only wear a bit of eyeliner and mascara, and people have told me they didn't realize I even wear any makeup. My go-to lip application is chapstick.

I'm most comfortable wearing a blouse, blazer, jeans, and what I would consider to be "nice" shoes (stylish leather ankle boots). I'll wear slacks and a button-down or sweater for variety, but it feels stiff to me to wear slacks. I'm also not terribly comfortable in skirts or dresses.

I'm at a new school this year and, of course, dressed up when I interviewed (blouse, suit jacket, suit pants) but I wouldn't dress like that for teaching and meetings. I'm a decade younger than the next-youngest woman and her style feels quite different than mine. She looks professional, but her style of flowing clothes and lots of draping of fabrics (shawls and scarves) wouldn't be my pick. Because I'm in a STEM field that can be more casual, I will probably stick with my jeans except for, say, the first day of class, when I tend to dress up.

I think darker jeans look quite nice and am hoping I can find a way to incorporate jeans into my wardrobe on occasion. But overall the department appears to be a little more formal than that. I'm in the same position as you though. I'm the youngest in the department and what works for them does not really work for me. I'm not sure what the "rules" are when you are a younger faculty member trying to dress like the other faculty but they have different styles, body types, and are 20-35 years older.

Liquidambar

Quote from: Charlotte on January 09, 2021, 11:10:07 AM
Quote from: Liquidambar on January 08, 2021, 01:25:49 PM

I really like the idea of keeping it simple like this. I do tend to have trouble finding button up shirts that do not gap in the chest area but I'm assuming it's just a matter of finding the right type shirt.

Possibly.  There are things they can do with the buttons to help (e.g., a hidden snap in the area that would gap, or pairs of close-together buttons rather than all evenly spaced), but I've read that button-front shirts just aren't a good look for some women.  If it doesn't end up working for you, don't stress about it!
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently