Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Nominations for Future Olympic Events

Started by clean, August 07, 2021, 12:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

Here is a youtube link of Mabel and Olive's take on the Olympics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEw1KUCa7KE

Lately I have found that ESPN has hours long coverage of various Cornhole Championships!  (Sponsored by Bush's Baked Beans and Johnsonville Sausage).

Darts could be added to the list as well.  (I played too much darts in college, and sort of blew out my elbow!)  (Also, darts contributed to beer drinking and included too much second hand smoke (and mass consumption of chicken wings!)

It also led to my room mate and I trying to play 'darts' with our hunting bows and arrows (in my grandparent's back yard at 50 yards). (We played for 7-11 ice cream sandwiches).  (hay bales for the backstop, but we had problems with the 'board' so it turned into whoever missed the business card, bought the ice cream sandwiches.  These days I dont know that I could SEE a business card at 50 yards! )

I think that I remember that there was a M*A*S*H* episode of Olympics that included "nurse carry".

So what would YOU nominate for future Olympics?

(Mabel, in the youtube video nominated Fox Shit Rolling). 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

ergative

Men's rhythmic gymnastics. Apparently it only exists in Japan as any kind of a serious sport, but my goodness is it fun to watch! But at the same time, because it is no more than a club sport, I can also see potential for how it might do the massive competitive international sport glow-up that turned figure skating and artistic gymnastics into the superhuman feats they are today. I really really want to see what happens to the routines if that happens.

mamselle

Can we be spoofy, or is this meant to be serious?

I was going to suggest the "100 Page Copy-and-Collate" championships, followed by the "1,000 pounds to the Post Office" Marathon.

Maybe a "Write, Assemble, File, and Win" NSF grant award relay after-tax?

;--》

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Vkw10

Dorm move-in, as an event with partners drawn at random from all competing nations. Points for the amount of stuff crammed in elevator, number of extension cords used, creative room arrangements, closest parking to doors, amount of pizza eaten afterwards, weirdness of pizza choice, extent of visible sweat on t-shirt.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

hmaria1609

To follow up on the cornhole championships, I've seen coverage for fishing tournaments on one of the sports channels on Dish.

clean

QuoteTo follow up on the cornhole championships, I've seen coverage for fishing tournaments on one of the sports channels on Dish.

Yes, but fishing shows have been on TV for decades!

I would not be surprised (though I dont have that package!) to find a fishing Network (as Im sure that there already is a Golf Network in some package!)

When was the first time you saw HOURS of TV devoted to Cornhole championships?  (for me, only within the last 2 months!)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Wahoo Redux

I would like to see a binge-watching marathon.  Points for duration, of course, but also for beverage spillage; remote control control; flatulence; chip and frozen pizza scarfing technique; neglecting responsibilities; weight gain; and number of times athletes have to hit pause to let the dogs out.

That or an Olympic YouTube FailBlog event.  Medals for stupidest; most painful; worst friend prank; most overweight and unathletic middle-aged human athletic attempt at idiotic adolescent stunt; and best shot to the bollocks.

Oh!  And may worst dressed at Wal-Mart medals.  Wonder if anyone could sit through that one.

Also see "Future Fail-ylimpics!"
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

jimbogumbo

I'm going with the marble races that ESPN carries. Addictive must see TV.

mahagonny

Bari Weiss called it months ago, victimhood Olympics. And you don't even need a stadium.

sinenomine

In honor of swimmer Tom Daley, knitting. :-)
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mahagonny

fishbrains

Drunk essay grading: based on speed, accuracy, four shots after each qualifying round, and student evals.

[as Marlon Brando] I could of been a contender.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

dismalist

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Sun_Worshiper