News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

I need a new mattress!!

Started by nebo113, August 10, 2021, 10:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

The last two mattresses I have bought....s*ck.  Both were "good" mattresses:  not the cheapest, not the most expensive.

I want something very firm.  I am willing to buy both new mattress and box springs, or try one of those mattresses advertised on TV as being delivered in a box directly to my front door.  You can tell I'm desperate.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

mamselle

I kithe to your tune. My back is picky, too.

There used to be a place near me that made them to order and delivered them, no more expensive than the usual ones at Sears, etc.

I got one, it didn't work well, they replaced it for free with one that I kept for 10 years after that.

I'll have to see if they still exist, but that's one avenue to explore in your area.

Also, some find a futon base with a made-to-size mattress works; the futon slats give better support, the mattress builds on that.

M.

N.B., I don't know if the latter arrangement works well if the user and a partner are doing bedtime Olympics, of course--haven't had reason to check out that scenario....
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

If you want firm, foam mattress over a slat base rather than a spring mattress over a boxspring is the way to go. If you have an Ikea near you they have a bunch and I'd go and try laying on all of them. Or a lot of the ones that deliver will let you test it out at home and return if it doesn't work for you, which is even better.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

spork

I like very firm sleep surfaces. I have noticed wide variation in the firmness of memory foam mattresses, even within the same brand. A lot depends on the recipe used at the factory making the foam. Pricing also varies wildly. We have two Tempur-Pedic memory foam mattresses now, and the one that I bought from some Dominicans for $400 is superior to the one that cost $1,800 at a furniture store.

The absolute firmest and most comfortable mattress I've ever encountered: a slab of latex foam.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

onehappyunicorn

We got our last one off of Amazon, it's a solid foam with no springs. It was a medium-firm but it's definitely on the firmer side of medium, I think it's a sleep innovations one. It was around $450 and it is far superior to our much more expensive mattress that is now in the guest room. We have it on slats, not a box spring.

the_geneticist

Having a solid platform under your bed will also help it feel more firm.  I had a year of dreadful sleep on a mattress that was directly on cheap, bendy slats.  When I moved, I bought a new mattress, new boxspring, and a proper bed frame.  Slept great!
You can even buy platforms with storage drawers or cubbies (aka cat sleeping nooks) underneath.

cathwen

If you are in New England, Bob's Discount Furniture (a regional chain) sells a "Bob-o-Pedic" mattress that is a knock-off Tempur-Pedic, and much less expensive.  We bought one in firm and have been quite pleased.  Our bed is a platform bed with slats to support the mattress, so no box spring.

I think that Consumer Reports rated mattresses a while ago, including the ones you send away for (like Caspar) that come in a box.  That might be worth checking out.

Mamselle's suggestion of a futon is a good one, too, if you're looking for very firm. 

downer

I've been thinking that I'd like a futon again. I prefer a hard surface.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mahagonny

I can sleep on a wood floor. Learned that while freeway flying. Desperate, my ass.

'first world problems.'

clean

After my back spasms sent me to the ER, and then I had to sleep on the couch (sitting up) because the couch would recline, but it allowed me to be able to stand up as I could at least get to a sitting position.

After the couch situation I moved to a Queen Size Sleep number bed, and that was nice.  As the wedding seemed to approach, I moved to a Split King with an adjustable base. 

With the sleep number and adjustable base,  I can now adjust my sleep number from rock hard to nearly deflated.  The adjustable base can move me from flat on my back to a seated position.  (I can raise my feet too if I want) .  It was expensive but the ambulance ride was $750 for the 2 1/2 mile trip to the ER!  AS the bed is really 2 Long Twin beds tied together, she can sleep the way she wants (she prefers her head raised) and the mattress does not quickly change pressure when someone gets in or out of bed (which was a problem with the Queen size, single chamber, bed). 

IF you have a chance, give it a shot.  There are different types/models of mattresses and i suggest that as you shop, you return to the stores several times and plan to stay on a mattress for at least 20 minutes.  Bring your own pillows and make sure that you are comfortable.  And then come back a week later, or perhaps go once early in the day and then again later in the day.  Your back  and body will feel differently in the morning than the afternoon!  Also, once you make this purchase, a good deal of your life will be spent with this purchase!  Take your time and  be sure you have enough information to make a good decision.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

hmaria1609

Quote from: cathwen on August 10, 2021, 03:39:20 PM
If you are in New England, Bob's Discount Furniture (a regional chain) sells a "Bob-o-Pedic" mattress that is a knock-off Tempur-Pedic, and much less expensive.  We bought one in firm and have been quite pleased.  Our bed is a platform bed with slats to support the mattress, so no box spring.

I think that Consumer Reports rated mattresses a while ago, including the ones you send away for (like Caspar) that come in a box.  That might be worth checking out.

Mamselle's suggestion of a futon is a good one, too, if you're looking for very firm.
Bob's Discount has expanded--there are a few here in the metro DC area.  I do remember the name from my college days in the Boston area!

Casper has stores nationwide.  I see one at the Tyson's Corner Mall in McLean, VA whenever I'm there.

mr_spicoli

I also wanted to try one of the mattresses they ship to you, because I could return it if I didn't like it.  Paid thousands for mattresses before and hated them right away, couldn't return them.  I also have multiple back issues, some I was born with.

Tuft and Needle Mint model.  No back problems since.  Friends have bought them, all loved them.  You do not need a box spring, but the frame has to have slats covering it.

nebo113

Thanks all.  My options are a bit limited as I live in a rural area, with nearest "big city" about an hour away.  However, you all have given me much needed information.  Again, thanks.

nebo113

Update:  Bought a hybrid which was delivered by UPS.  How odd to find a heavy rolled up item in a box on the porch and it's a mattress!!!  Not quite as firm as I might like but much better than the previous one.

notmycircus

My stepson gave the hubby and I twin remote box springs before his move.  We ditched our king for two different twin xl mattresses (Beautyrest, Tempur-Pedic).  My hubby keeps his flat and I raise the head which helps my breathing issue.
While we received the mattresses a while ago, the salesman informed us to contact him during the yearly Labor Day mattress sale, so he can provide us with the discount we would have received if we had waited for the sale.