News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Prepared meals ordered online

Started by nebo113, August 26, 2021, 03:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

My bride never really learned to cook, so I am contemplating giving something like this a try for a while so that she has some experience in the kitchen.  She asks to help in the kitchen, but my kitchen isnt really big enough for 2 (I have an island close to the stove, but her mom's kitchen has much more room and in my smaller kitchen she is in the way.   

I hope you don't actually tell her this in these words.

I'd feel unwanted and discounted if someone said something like that to me.

It sounds like you see her as an intrusion, not someone you've welcomed into every part of your life, including the inner temple of your sacrosanct kitchen!

Just sayin'...

M.

(...goes back to meddling in lives nearer and more visibly in need of her services...)
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ciao_yall

One thing that helped me when I got married was taking a subscription to Food & Wine magazine, and making something different for dinner every night out of it. Saved recipes we liked, and tossed the magazine after the new one arrived. I also would fill in with recipes from cookbooks.

Eventually we developed favorites and I learned a lot of general tips and tricks.

clean

QuoteMy bride never really learned to cook, so I am contemplating giving something like this a try for a while so that she has some experience in the kitchen.  She asks to help in the kitchen, but my kitchen isnt really big enough for 2 (I have an island close to the stove, but her mom's kitchen has much more room and in my smaller kitchen she is in the way.   

I hope you don't actually tell her this in these words.

I'd feel unwanted and discounted if someone said something like that to me.

It sounds like you see her as an intrusion, not someone you've welcomed into every part of your life, including the inner temple of your sacrosanct kitchen!

Just sayin'...

Hot pans and frying beacon for instance, are safety hazards.  especially when someone is blocking you in... and as neither of us is svelte,  when we are together, we might be as big as 3 skinny people in that small space. 

Im still trying to get her to turn the pan handles so that they are neither sticking out into the isle, or over another hot item, or using the smallest pot on the biggest burner. 

Im also trying to have her 'think ahead' so that everything is ready about the same time.... dont put the Bertelli bag in the pan to start (which takes 12 minutes to cook/heat up), and preheat the oven to 400 for garlic bread (which itself takes 10 minutes or so) so that you can put the bread in the oven which takes 8 minutes. 
OR you get your bread 10 minutes she serves the dish! 

OR start the rice at the same time you start the frozen PFChangs

I think that she gets excited about the main dish...

OR I can also say that THIS may be what her mom taught her!  Her mom grew up in another country and I frankly dont know if they had as many burners.  she will cook some sides long in advance, and then have to microwave the sides to heat them back up as they have been cooked sometimes for hours!

But it could also be that I have been cooking for myself for probably close to 50 years!!  So there IS a skill gap, and I m old and set in my ways!  But she knew that when she accepted the proposal, and I made it clear that I wasnt a 'fixer upper' but an 'As Is'

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

ab_grp

I'll chime in on Hello Fresh and that kind of service.  I've tried that and Blue Apron.  Although I do like to cook and cook some more complicated meals at times, weeknights are not that time.  What I liked about these services is getting a box of exactly the ingredients I needed, minus standard cooking items as Vkw10 mentioned.  I didn't have to buy an entire bag of carrots for one carrot (just as an example).  Some of the ingredients were ones that I probably couldn't have found at the grocery store, so it was nice to try different spices or vegetables.  I liked the recipes from both about the same.  They were uniformly tasty and reasonable portion sizes (probably helpful, as I like to eat more of things that taste good than I should).  The recipes are pretty easy to follow if you have cooked before, although there are some basic cooking tips that are not always included that could be useful to those who do not cook often or in a particular way.  As an example, a friend using Blue Apron did not know at what point to put the oil in the pan and got it a little smoky and had to start that part over.  My busy RN daughter who is vegan uses or used Green Chef and seemed to like that one a lot. 

I don't think it was mentioned here already (?), but the three services I talked about all have recipes on their sites, so you could take a look to see what is typically required and what kinds of meals they tend to offer.  As was noted here before, prep and cooking times are not always quite on the nose, but I have found that to be true for lots of recipes.  Definitely read the recipe through thoroughly first and get everything ready before you start.

Anyway, I would use these types of services again, though there are so many more these days than when I was using them that it might be hard to choose!

I have not used any services that deliver meals prepared in advance, but I hope this helps.

Anselm

I have been relying on prepared meals from the grocery store deli, ordered via their own website.  It is then delivered by one of the big food delivery operations like DoorDash or Instacart.   I only did this since I was stuck at home caring for my mother.   The selection was not the greatest but I like the food.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

nonsensical

I tried Hello Fresh for a little while with a coupon. It was tasty and relatively straightforward, but more time than the way that I usually cook, which is to make a big batch of food over the weekend and freeze it. I'm glad I tried it out during a period when I had more time to cook during the week, but I don't think I would use this service again. Also, I imagine the recipes would get repetitive after a while, though maybe they switch up the options every few months.

I also once got a gift certificate to a local place that delivers frozen meals, so all you need to do is put them in the oven. They were delicious (restaurant-quality things, but frozen and cheaper) and extremely easy to get ready. Not worth the money out of my own pocket but I would be excited if I got another gift certificate there.

Cheerful

Quote from: nonsensical on September 13, 2021, 02:36:22 AM
I also once got a gift certificate to a local place that delivers frozen meals, so all you need to do is put them in the oven. They were delicious (restaurant-quality things, but frozen and cheaper) and extremely easy to get ready. Not worth the money out of my own pocket but I would be excited if I got another gift certificate there.

Sounds like you really enjoyed these, nonsensical.  They do sound good in many ways. 

If you can swing it budgetwise, why not treat yourself?  Give a gift certificate to yourself, you're worth it.

statsgeek

We've also used meal kits and can recommend.  While more expensive than typical grocery shopping, it is cheaper than a comparable restaurant meal. We loved the additional variety it provided when we lived where there weren't a lot of restaurants or now, when we're still hesitant to go out.  Also like that it gives me just the right amount of ingredients I wouldn't otherwise buy (e.g. fresh herbs).  The subscription is flexible and you can skip weeks when you're too busy or there's nothing interesting on their menu, but you do have to be on top of maintaining your subscription to make this work.  I tend to order a box (3-4 meals) every 2-3 weeks. 

I'll also second the sentiment that you do need a basic level of cooking skills to be successful.  I do a lot of Googling, "how do you cut up a ______?"  In addition, the "estimated time" seems to be geared towards someone who has better knife skills than I do; recipes that require a lot of cutting things up take me significantly longer than the estimate.   

On the other hand, I actually found that I enjoy taking the 30-60 minute break from work to cook, and that I learned some new tricks.