News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Adult Vacinations

Started by clean, September 18, 2021, 09:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

I have reached that age where it is time to get my 'adult shots'.  I talked to my primary doctor this week, and we went over some of the shots.  I asked If he would get them for me, and he said that the insurance reimbursement is less than his cost to get the vaccines, so I should let CVS or Walgreens handle it. I asked if I needed a prescription and he said, "no, they have taken that away from us too."

At this point I am looking to arrange some time soon to get my flu shot, shingles shot, TPAP (?) (tetnis and something else), and pneumonia. 

The questions at had are:
1.  What is your experience with these related to side effects?  (I have plenty of flexibility with the timing, so I want schedule taking these when it will least interfere with classes).
2.  I suppose that the pharmacist will let me know if there is a limit to how many or what combinations of shots I can take together, or IF I will have to stretch these out over a period of time.  Do you have any experience taking multiple vaccines, these in particular?
3. While these are the ones I discussed with my doctor, what other vaccines should I consider at this point (Mid 50s)?

Please relate any relevant experiences!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

jimbogumbo

I got all of these last fall. They were no big deal, EXCEPT for Shingrix. That one was a doozy, with pain and lightheadedness.

clean

I got all of these last fall. They were no big deal, EXCEPT for Shingrix. That one was a doozy, with pain and lightheadedness.

All at once or one at a time?

spork

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional.

I have received many vaccines as an adult, and sometimes several vaccines were injected at the same appointment. I have been vaccinated against hepatitis A, hepatitis B (twice; I am a non-responder), Japanese B encephalitis, measles (twice as an adult; prior vaccines were deemed ineffective), pneumococcal pneumonia (twice so far), tetanus boosters, influenza (annually). I have also had the Shingrix vaccine (twice, to complete the series). Possibly I have received other vaccines that I might have forgotten about, like typhoid.

The only time I had any side effect was when I got injected with maybe a half dozen or more vaccines at the same time; by the end of the day I could not raise my arms above my shoulders because the muscles where the vaccines had been injected were so sore. But no reaction other than that. Well, except for the JNJ SARS-CoV-2 vaccine. I had a fever and body aches the following day and was glad of it, because it meant my immune system has been stimulated sufficiently to produce antibodies.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: clean on September 18, 2021, 10:24:50 AM

All at once or one at a time?

Shingrix was taken alone. I think I got the pneumonia and tetanus at the same time, but would have to look back at records. Like many in the US, I drive past a Walgreen's which is two miles from my home. Just got them at times I was picking up meds, and the pharmacists at this location make it really easy.. Also took the old person flu vaccine, and two rounds of Moderna.

ciao_yall

Never had side effects for COVID, Shingrix or any flu shot.

T-DAP, though? I was knocked out for a few days and my arm hurt too badly even to go to yoga.

kaysixteen

where does one get Japanese B encephaliitis?   I have never seen vaxxes for this condition available around here?

Wrt the hep vaxxes, did you take these vaxxes on your own initiative, or did your doc tell you to do so?  I am going to ask my doc the next time I see him, if there might be any vaxxes left I ought to take?   

namazu

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 18, 2021, 10:46:00 PM
where does one get Japanese B encephaliitis?   I have never seen vaxxes for this condition available around here?
In the U.S., you can get the vaccine from travel clinics and sometimes elsewhere.  But it's not recommended unless you're traveling to areas (in South and East Asia) where Japanese encephalitis circulates.  https://www.cdc.gov/japaneseencephalitis/index.html

clean, TDaP = tetanus, diphtheria, and acellular pertussis (whooping cough).

spork

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 18, 2021, 10:46:00 PM

Wrt the hep vaxxes, did you take these vaxxes on your own initiative, or did your doc tell you to do so?  I am going to ask my doc the next time I see him, if there might be any vaxxes left I ought to take?

Many of my vaccinations were preparation for time spent abroad. Many U.S. states require entering college students to be vaccinated against Hep B and meningococcal meningitis. In my opinion, U.S. adults without contraindications should get influenza, coronavirus, Tdap, pneumonia, and Hep B vaccines. Shingrix if they've had chicken pox. And any of the standard vaccines for childhood diseases, like MMR, if they didn't get them as children or are at high risk.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

AmLitHist

We get flu shots every year, and I've never had a reaction.

Tetanus shots are the worst for me:  a really sore arm and feel like I've been hit by a bus for 2-3 days.  I also got a measles shot several times as an adult, most recently a couple of years ago (because every time I'd have a titer drawn when pregnant, I haven't shown immunity); I had the same hit-by-a-bus, plus about 100 degree fever, after each time.  (I haven't had a titer since then, so not sure if the last one "took.")

I got the "regular" pneumonia shot when diagnosed with diabetes in 2019, and in talking with my doctor this past week, got the Prevnar-13 on Monday. I felt a little rough for a couple of days, but not too bad.

I got a pertussis (whooping cough) booster a few years ago, since my original kid-age shots' immunity was likely gone, and there was an outbreak in the area and on our campuses.

I don't think I'm immune to smallpox, though I had several doses of the shot as a baby/kid. Everyone I knew had that scar on the back of the upper arm, but I don't have one. I guess they don't even give that shot anymore, since smallpox has been gone from the US for so long now.

I can't remember if I got the meningitis shot about 10 years ago, or not; I know I'd thought about it because, again, it was around our campuses.

And we got the Moderna doses back in the spring.  The first was OK, but the second laid me low for a week or so.

Vkw10

CDC adult immunization schedule https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/index.html

I had TDaP and MMR several years ago, during a whooping cough outbreak. My childhood immunizations were so long back that she said it would be good to get both TDaP and MMR, but insurance probably wouldn't pay for them. I paid for both gladly, as I was living in a state that let parents decline childhood vaccinations with no reason given. Had both shots the same day, with just a slight red bump at injection site.

My current doctor recommends reasonably healthy adults wait until age 60 for shingles and pneumonia vaccines, so I'll get those next year. Had my COVID-19 shots earlier this year, with my only reaction being sleeping a full day after the second one. I need to swing by pharmacy for flu shot this month.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

wellfleet

I've done fine with the TDaP and pneumonia vaccines and I get the flu vaccine every year with no trouble. Shingrix was a ride--just a sore arm after the first, but the second dose was "sore arm down to my fingertips--ow!" for a couple of days plus a solid day of "wait, flu?" symptoms. Still glad to have it--everyone I know who has had shingles has classed it as their most painful experience ever, so no thanks.

Even so, the second dose of Shingrix was better than the cholera vaccine I got when I was 11 or so (military kid about to spend a lot of time overseas). That one sucked.
One of the benefits of age is an enhanced ability not to say every stupid thing that crosses your mind. So there's that.

kaysixteen

I've had everything spork recommends except for the Hep B vax.   I am wondering why no doc has ever told me to get it- might my PCP think, perhaps, that I had already gotten it?   I never did get a Hep B (or any Hep strain) vax, by itself, but could it have been piggybacked along with some other vax?

clean

I got my flu shot at work  about 2 weeks ago now I think. 

Yesterday I went to Walgreens and waited a while, but then was told that the pharmacist was the only vaccinator on duty and that I should come back tomorrow.

Today I went, and the line was longer!  I went to another one, and the line there was even LONGER!! 
I went home and called my insurer. The insurer (blue cross) transferred me to the pharmacy group (Express Scripts).  I found out that I was NOT limited to using Walgreens as I thought! 
I called CVS (a 1/2 mile from my house!) and while waiting on hold the recording gave instructions on how to schedule online.  The closest time was only an hour out, so I completed the forms and got THREE shots.

I got the shots for TDAP, (or TDAB), Shingles Part I (I understand I need several of these) and Pneumonia (the 23 one).
They gave me TDAP and Pneumonia in one arm and the shingles in the other arm. 

That was 3 hours ago.  I dont know if it is my head overthinking, or if I am starting to feel the 'side effects'. 

But they are started!  I have to get Shingles Part II in 2 to six months.

Wahoo Redux

I'm mid-50s.

COVID did nothing to me, although it did give my wife (late 40s) a rough, flu-ish day.

The Shingles vaccine hurt my arm for about a week.

Otherwise I was fine.

My elderly mother got shingles and I flew across the country to take care of her for four weeks.  I definitely do not want that rash.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.