News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Movie Thread

Started by overthejordan, May 17, 2019, 11:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

We watched the Psych movie (the first one) last night because we had it on hand and it was pretty short (about an hour and a half).  We love the show, and it was amusing and quite funny at times, but we both felt as though they were trying a little too hard in general and to include as many of the more well known characters as possible.  But, it was still nice to see the gang again!

Economizer

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

hmaria1609

"A Christmas Past" on Kanopy
A collection of 9 short, black & white Christmas movies from 1901-25.
Most were original movies. There were adaptations of A Christmas Carol and "The Night Before Christmas."

Hegemony

We watched "A Castle for Christmas" on Netflix. Brooke Shields, with too much makeup, and Cary Elwes. Apparently it is Netflix's number 1 movie globally right now.

It has one very nice joke in it.

It took some time before I realized that several of the most implausible scenes were meant to be comic.

There is much supposed hilarity about how quaint and incomprehensible Scottish accents are, and everyone has the broadest possible Scottish accent, including the upper-crust duke. The only song sung in Scotland is apparently "Loch Lomond." Also, if you go into a Scottish pub, everyone is instantly your BFF and will arrange your love life for you.

The point is made conspicuously that Scotland has black people and gay people. Well, that's a relief!

The rest of it will likely nauseate anyone who is actually familiar with Scotland. The kind of nausea produced by a sudden ghastly influx of too much sugar. It is about as authentic to anything Scottish, or 17th-century (the supposed date of the supposed castle), or real life, as a Lego Indiana Jones set is to actual archaeology.

The plot was constructed by a treacle-fueled romcom AI, and would fully power the "Hitchhiker's Guide" Improbability Drive. Several blockheaded arguments are inserted just to keep the principal characters from getting together too soon and ending the movie. Every plot point can be seen in flashing neon lights half an hour in advance, while neither of the protagonists has the slightest notion it's coming. There are several nonsensical plot contradictions that no one in the story notices.

Cary Elwes looks delectable, at one point he has a scene in a bathtub, and in general he does his best. It's not his fault that he and Brooke Shields have zero chemistry. I would have preferred if he had embarked on an affair with literally almost anyone else in the movie, including the 80-year-old knitter, the hunky be-kilted castle assistant, or the scruffy dog.

It has approximately $900,000 of Christmas decorations in it.

We enjoyed it, but not for the right reasons.

ab_grp

Hegemony, you had me at Cary Elwes.  We were just talking about him last night.  The rest of the movie sounds entertaining for the wrong reasons as you mentioned, but I might be willing to watch it just for him. 

Sun_Worshiper

Candyman (2021, Amazon Prime rental)

This direct (if distant) sequel to the 1992 original follows a promising young artist who becomes consumed with the Candyman legend, leading to much slashing. The film continues the tradition of the first by offering (heavy handed) social commentary about race* and gentrification. Despite the lack of subtlety, the social commentary is interesting and there are some scary and disturbing moments. That said, the last 20 minutes or so are really weak: It feels like the filmmakers didn't know how to end the movie so they threw something together. Overall, Candyman is a good watch, but I can't strongly recommend it.

*Candyman is the ghost of a black man who was murdered by a white mob in the 1800s for having a relationship with a white woman.

Grade: B-

hmaria1609

Thanks for the review, hegemony!  I get my regular dose of Scottish accents listening to the biweekly"Scran" podcast hosted by the Food & Drink staff writers of the "Scotsman" newspaper.  :)

I've been to Loch Lomond--just stunning to see in person.

mamselle

My voice teacher's older sister was raised in Glasgow.

The family moved to Edinburgh when my teacher was born, and the difference in their accents was recognizable.

I've gotten rusty at it, but I used to be able to tell the difference just by hearing a sentence or two.

There are different Scots accents in the Highlands, on the islands, and along the Northern England/Yorkshire borders, as well.

There's no one Scots accent....I wonder which one they picked?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

I just saw GhostBusters! 
It was my first movie since January 2020 (almost 2 full years!!)

It was a good show and it was easy to social distance as there were less then 10 of us in the theater. 

IF you see it, stay for the end!  There is an extended scene!

I may see Gucci soon, but as with Ghost Busters, I want to wait until it is in the low attendance phase. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Hegemony

Quote from: mamselle on December 06, 2021, 03:52:12 PM
There's no one Scots accent....I wonder which one they picked?

There are ten or twelve different Scottish accents within the span of every quarter of an hour of the film, and none of them authentic. A brief look at the cast list seems to confirm that not a single person in the cast was actually Scottish, and a good many of the supposed Scottish people were played by American actors, with all the authenticity you might expect.

ab_grp

We talked about watching either the Sesame Street Christmas special or The Princess Bride (probably because of the Cary Elwes mention here) but somehow ended up going in the opposite direction with Bad Santa.  I had never seen it.  My husband told me about 43 times beforehand that it was f'ed up and wrong, and it was.  Pretty funny, though not the funniest movie I have ever seen.  I was surprised that there were some sweet parts of it and also that Lauren Graham was in it! I wouldn't rush to see it again, but it was entertaining.  I guess it was one of John Ritter's final movies, and his part was pretty good. 

hmaria1609

"Fire Over England" (1937)
This black & white movie stars Laurence Olivier, Vivien Leigh, and Flora Robson. The movie is set ahead of the impending Spanish Armada.
It's not available on DVD so I was delighted to see it available on Kanopy. Based on the novel by A.E.W. Mason (Alfred Edward Wooley).

ab_grp

We watched Die Hard last night.  I don't think I've seen it since I was a teenager.  It's a bit obvious and repetitive but still enjoyable, and it counts as a Christmas movie.

Harlow2

Happened on this and found it fascinating: Truly Texas Mexican in which cooking becomes the door into the indigenous history of sout Texas/ Mexico. On prime

Sun_Worshiper

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Amazon, rental for $3.99)

Quentin Tarantino's latest, about a fading actor, his stunt double, and the Sharon Tate murders. While I won't deny his talent, I'm not the biggest QT fan. His movies are too long and self indulgent and the references to old Hollywood movies that he leans into have become gimmicky. However, this movie really worked for me: The acting is very good, it is well paced and lively (I was never bored or restless), and the Hollywood references fit here than they do in his other films. I have heard that QT plans to retire soon, after having put together one of the all time great movie catalogues; this would be a great high note to go out on.

Grade: A

The Power of the Dog (Netflix)

Western about an angry and abusive rancher and his relationship with an effeminate boy that enters his family through marriage. This is a very slow burn, but the long journey is worth taking for the third act. Great performances all around, as well, and Cumberbatch will surely win some awards for his work here.

Grade: A-

Nobody (Southwest in-flight entertainment)

Bob Odenkirk (Saul Goodman, from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul) stars as a seemingly mild mannered family man who gets pushed around at work and at home. However, under the surface he is a former secret agent and a killing machine. Once unforeseeable events bring out his true self, the movie turns into a hyperviolent killathon. The action is mostly well done, there are a few laughs, and Odenkirk is very good, but don't go in expecting anything that will stimulate your brain.

Grade: B