News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

tattoos

Started by kaysixteen, September 16, 2023, 10:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

Thought question for ye: suppose you are a Walmart manager-- customer appears with a visible tattoo of a swastika and an SS rune.   What, if anything, should you do about this, and why, and would this answer be different if instead of a tatt it was a t-shirt?

fishbrains

Bruh, it's Walmart. I wouldn't be looking too hard at anyone's tattoos.

The shirt would bother me more than the tattoo for some reason. I guess, to me, a bad tattoo indicates a bad decision from the past whereas a t-shirt indicates a current bad decision in progress.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

ciao_yall

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 16, 2023, 10:37:52 PMThought question for ye: suppose you are a Walmart manager-- customer appears with a visible tattoo of a swastika and an SS rune.  What, if anything, should you do about this, and why, and would this answer be different if instead of a tatt it was a t-shirt?

Nothing, although I might be alert to the natural consequences if another customer is offended and chooses to react in a manner that affects the previously peaceful environment of the store.

Not that I would blame the offended customer, by any means. If this happened I would ask the person in the t-shirt to leave, saying that his choice of garment is giving unnecessary offense and causing a distraction.

clean

nothing.
They dont pay me to notice. Corporate does not want to be on the news for taking any stand.  Why take what may be bait to get someone's agenda publicized? 

Hell, in this part of the red world, complying with the mask requirements during Covid was more controversial.  Not that there werent good people, on both sides of the mask, but why take a stand.  At this point, the tat isnt going away! 

How many are going to notice anyway? 

AS for the shirt, there was a 'disney hack' where people figured out that Disney would give you a shirt if your shirt didnt meet the dress code.   After a while, even Disney caught on.   but Disney World aint Walmart.  They have terms and conditions that Walmart does not have. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Sun_Worshiper

How much money do I make as a manager at Wal Mart? Maybe $35k? That isn't enough to risk my own safety to confront some psycho.

dismalist

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 16, 2023, 10:37:52 PMThought question for ye: suppose you are a Walmart manager-- customer appears with a visible tattoo of a swastika and an SS rune.   What, if anything, should you do about this, and why, and would this answer be different if instead of a tatt it was a t-shirt?

Like so many other questions on this board, this one, too, is about property rights. Who owns the store?

Well, upper management wants to maximize profits. Thus, keep customers happy. If many customers are offended by the runes, they exit and profits go down. Management would want to stop that by promulgating dress codes. This would, or at least could, offend other customers! What to do? Decide in favor of the largest group that credibly threatens to leave.

That there are many Walmarts makes such a course easier and harder at the same time. Not every Walmart has to have the same rules. But that means the decision would have to be made by a local manager, not upper management. Local manager has to be careful -- might get beat up by one side or the other!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

clean

While there are many levels of management at Walmart, a Store Manager ...

"Do Walmart managers make 6 figures?
Walmart store managers were paid an average salary of $210,000 last year, and the stores they lead are each like a big business under one roof with average annual sales of $100 million and 300 employees.Jun 2, 2022"
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Wahoo Redux

When I was at college, we had a very small troop of shaven-headed, black-garbed, white shoelace wearing neo-Nazi skinheads in town.  They were at a distinct disadvantage as far as numbers and culture in this very liberal town, and that was precisely why they paraded the sidewalks trying to look menacing.  They were frequently harassed by police and glared at by the college students, but in the end no one really cared all that much----and that is why I think they eventually just faded away.

A Nazi tat or a Nazi shirt is simply a way to vent mental illness.  I personally would ignore both.  These loons want you to react; if you don't react, you defeat them. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Hegemony

What would doing anything accomplish? You're not going to change anyone's mind by taking them to task for a tattoo. They already know that a lot of people will have a terrible opinion of them. I feel as if this question is just short of trolling, to be honest.

Wahoo Redux

I think the point might be to roll the ball in the direction that A) tattoos are evil, and B) that there should be rules about what people are allowed to express and how people are allowed to behave. 

This is generally where we go when Hitler or the Nazis show up in a discussion board online.

Caracal

In high school and college I worked retail and I remember how funny thinking it was when we watched a training video about how we shouldn't confront or pursue anyway stealing merchandise. "Don't worry, not my stuff, I'm not going to tackle anyone." Same basic principle. Store managers are not looking for extra problems to deal with. They want to finish their shift and go home.

apl68

Quote from: fishbrains on September 17, 2023, 06:30:10 AMBruh, it's Walmart. I wouldn't be looking too hard at anyone's tattoos.

The shirt would bother me more than the tattoo for some reason. I guess, to me, a bad tattoo indicates a bad decision from the past whereas a t-shirt indicates a current bad decision in progress.

That's kind of how I feel about it.  I personally feel about tattoos in general like I suspect Kay does.  To me any kind of tattoo looks like a bad decision.  I think the proliferation of them is not a good sign in our society, and that a great many people getting them will end up having cause for regret.  And not all of them will be able to have them removed.

But bad decisions in the past just have to be left in the past, even if they leave visible signs in the present.  We shouldn't automatically assume the worst about somebody with evidence of a bad decision set into their skin.  Our church has so many tats among our members that a Japanese visitor might mistake it for a Yakuza convention.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

secundem_artem

Many years ago, Mrs. Artem & I attended a local arts festival.  Among the festival goers, I noticed a young women wearing one of those ankle length Indian "peasant" skirts.  She was wearing it quite low on her hips and I could not help but see the beautiful butterfly she had tattooed around her umbilicus.

Looks nice I thought to myself.  But if she ever has a baby, that thing is gonna look like a melted pizza.

Some wisdom I heard once -- Yes Pumpkin, of course your tattoo makes you stand out and look like an individual.....  Just like everybody else who has one.

I'm also wondering if perhaps Kay is actually a sock for Jacob Rees-Mogg aka the Honorable Member for the 18th Century. 

Getting upset about first names, tattoos, and various other things is just not something it's worth having the bandwidth to get upset about.  But hey, you do you.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Wahoo Redux

I'm amazed that the tattoo fad is still a fad. 

In and of themselves, tattoos are not bad.  I've never wanted one, but that's me. Tattoos may be here to stay.

Anselm

I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.