News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vkw10

Quote from: mamselle on September 15, 2021, 04:55:35 PM

I've had my name taken off the list several times, it keeps coming back. (no, you're not doing me a favor!)

I just had to ask again for this to be done, politely and with many thanks for all the work it (admittedly) takes to keep up with a peripatetic bunch like that.

I have a gmail account for old hometown folks. I even log into it several times a year.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

mamselle

Quote from: Vkw10 on September 15, 2021, 06:42:01 PM
Quote from: mamselle on September 15, 2021, 04:55:35 PM

I've had my name taken off the list several times, it keeps coming back. (no, you're not doing me a favor!)

I just had to ask again for this to be done, politely and with many thanks for all the work it (admittedly) takes to keep up with a peripatetic bunch like that.

I have a gmail account for old hometown folks. I even log into it several times a year.

Good idea.

Fortunately, it was just an error and they apologized.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

bio-nonymous

You people are typical elitist snobs, that plumber running his own small business is likely as smart or smarter than you (though not as "educated"), and almost certainly makes more money than you do. Why all the hatred?

(could have also gone under the "things you wish you could say" thread!)

mamselle

Ummm...I've worked in service industries and retail, no-one is belittling the plumber's educational preparation, just their inconsiderate behavior.

That's not hatred, that's a wish for reasonable customer service...as I pointed out, my retail mangers' standards were higher than that.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I have lots to do today and limited time to do it, so of course my computer chose now to update, squandering a whole hour so far and who knows how much longer. Ugh.
I know it's a genus.

filologos

The power company shut off the power to a home I own (and am selling) in another state. I've been on hold for half an hour so far to find out why and get it turned on again before closing, which is in a few days. But that's fine; it's not as if I had anything else to do today . . .

mamselle

Sorry to hear that.

I hope you have something reassuring/satisfying/productive to do while you're on hold--that's the kind of time-use no-one needs!

M.

filologos

Thanks, Mamselle. I managed to get some worksheets made for class later today. After an hour and a half I gave up. I'll try again later, after lunch on the east coast.

apl68

Venting in the most literal sense of the word:

Today we have service technicians on-site to clean our building's ducts.  A couple of months after they were originally scheduled to do the work!  They have been cleaning our vents, after blowing lots of dust, etc. out through them.  One of them was just in here cleaning both vents in my office.  I didn't know until today that those vents were removable!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

bio-nonymous

Quote from: mamselle on September 17, 2021, 11:26:32 AM
Ummm...I've worked in service industries and retail, no-one is belittling the plumber's educational preparation, just their inconsiderate behavior.

That's not hatred, that's a wish for reasonable customer service...as I pointed out, my retail mangers' standards were higher than that.

M.
Should have added to my original post, "not related to other posts in this thread"--mine was a vent about something else observed elsewhere in reality (looking down at those without letters after their name...)...sorry for any confusion!

mamselle

Got it. No umbrage taken.

M.

downer

The school policy is that I need to be vaccinated even though I only teach online and never come to campus.

I wonder what the justification is for that.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 20, 2021, 08:42:47 AM
I have lots to do today and limited time to do it, so of course my computer chose now to update, squandering a whole hour so far and who knows how much longer. Ugh.

I buckled and bought a new one. It was a decent price, but the one I wanted--a little more expensive but much, much better--was entirely sold out except for a few online outline where it was $600 more expensive.

Here's hoping it's a good one! I hate buying new laptops, especially sooner than five years after the last one.
I know it's a genus.

the_geneticist

Quote from: downer on September 20, 2021, 12:47:06 PM
The school policy is that I need to be vaccinated even though I only teach online and never come to campus.

I wonder what the justification is for that.

Hmm, perhaps some combo of:
a) To make their numbers look better?
b) Because keeping track of who can work entirely remotely & exclude those from their vaccine compliance tracking is "too complicated?"
c) Just in case you are tempted by the offer of stale cookies/bad coffee at seminar & sneak onto campus?
d) So they can require you to show up in-person for a meeting that could be on Zoom?

My university has FINALLY admitted that folks who are immunocompromised and/or live with someone who is immunocompromised ought to have the option to work remotely.  Jeez.  Someone important must have threatened a lawsuit.

Charlotte

Why do some students send such defensive, angry emails? Calm down. I'm okay with accepting your paper that you "know" you submitted on time and are not sure why it didn't go through, but I'm not okay with you coming at me so angrily. I've had a rough day. Sending emails like that makes me want to refuse to accept the assignment and I have every right to since my policy on late work is very clear. What student thinks an angry email is going to help their case?