News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Empathy here.

I haven't run into this but would be furious if they tinkered with my work and I couldn't just press a key to blow their "suggested" version away and get my own original work back.

I suppose one fail-safe would be to save a duplicate of 'your' version that you could just quickly re-upload, but that's still unnecessary work.

I'd be wanting to say, "Keep your pesky hands off my course plan!" or something similar...which is how I felt recently in having to get rid of all the saved version of my photos that Google first took over, then demanded I pay for since I was then over my (already-paid-for lower level) storage limits.

The nerve!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

downer

What are the chances it is true that the accrediting agency really requires that the syllabus on the LMS be in PDF format rather than Word?

Pretttttttty, pretttttttttty, pretttttty low.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

FishProf

Me: Who do we work with to oversee domestic overnight travel (dot) for a course?
Dean(s): International travel office.
Me: Dear ITO, how do we go about setting this up?
ITO: We don't do that.  We've never done that.
Me:  Who does oversee dot?
ITO: We've never done that. You know that from previous conversations.  The president's cabinet is on board with this position!

(Vent: Not an answer to my question.  But thanks for dragging the President into the email Chain.  Although, if you meant for that to make ME look bad, it doesn't).
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

kiana

Quote from: downer on October 21, 2021, 09:55:06 AM
What are the chances it is true that the accrediting agency really requires that the syllabus on the LMS be in PDF format rather than Word?

Pretttttttty, pretttttttttty, pretttttty low.

Interestingly, we were told we had to post it as a word document for accessibility.

jimbogumbo

My left ear is swollen, red, and painful. Pain behind, in front and below the ear. Diagnosis is cellulitis, which always has the chance of mastoiditis as the root cause. Antibiotics of the powerful kind (shot as well as tablets), drops with antibiotic and steroids.

Do I have things to do? Why yes I do. I am about to turn in some mediocre work.

mamselle

Owwwww!!!!

Very sorry to hear that.

Hope it clears up very soon.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

science.expat

Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 22, 2021, 07:17:04 AM
My left ear is swollen, red, and painful. Pain behind, in front and below the ear. Diagnosis is cellulitis, which always has the chance of mastoiditis as the root cause. Antibiotics of the powerful kind (shot as well as tablets), drops with antibiotic and steroids.

Do I have things to do? Why yes I do. I am about to turn in some mediocre work.

Don't mess with cellulitis! It can kill you, and even with antibiotics the long term effects can be severe.

My left foot will be forever swollen because I refused to be admitted to hospital.

ab_grp

I guess this one truly does have to do with venting.  Have you heard about the safety pin trick to help reduce static cling from the dryer? Supposedly you attach a couple safety pins to a washcloth, towel, some piece of cloth, and the metal hitting metal inside the dryer should act as "mini lightning rods."  Well, we live in a very dry area, and I noticed more static cling the other day.  Getting to be that time of year, so we figured we'd try it.  I am tired of getting zapped by every piece of laundry I touch.  In addition to dryer sheets, we also use the wool dryer balls for bigger and bulkier loads, and the folks that make them suggest pinning the pins right to one or two of the balls.  Great! I did so.  One ended up lodged in the lint trap, but I was able to get that out without too much trouble.  The other somehow wedged its way into some small opening in the back of the dryer.  Fortunately we were able to get that one out with pliers.  There is still a piece of that pin missing somewhere, and I hope we do not find it by becoming impaled while pulling laundry out.  So that was a massive failure, and I just wanted to warn others who might be tempted.  Maybe there is a more correct way to do it, but be careful! I read about this approach several times on several sites and never came across a warning about this.  I guess one can never read enough reviews, tips, and every other piece of information before making a move.

apl68

Quote from: ab_grp on October 26, 2021, 12:57:07 PM
I guess this one truly does have to do with venting.  Have you heard about the safety pin trick to help reduce static cling from the dryer? Supposedly you attach a couple safety pins to a washcloth, towel, some piece of cloth, and the metal hitting metal inside the dryer should act as "mini lightning rods."  Well, we live in a very dry area, and I noticed more static cling the other day.  Getting to be that time of year, so we figured we'd try it.  I am tired of getting zapped by every piece of laundry I touch.  In addition to dryer sheets, we also use the wool dryer balls for bigger and bulkier loads, and the folks that make them suggest pinning the pins right to one or two of the balls.  Great! I did so.  One ended up lodged in the lint trap, but I was able to get that out without too much trouble.  The other somehow wedged its way into some small opening in the back of the dryer.  Fortunately we were able to get that one out with pliers.  There is still a piece of that pin missing somewhere, and I hope we do not find it by becoming impaled while pulling laundry out.  So that was a massive failure, and I just wanted to warn others who might be tempted.  Maybe there is a more correct way to do it, but be careful! I read about this approach several times on several sites and never came across a warning about this.  I guess one can never read enough reviews, tips, and every other piece of information before making a move.

During the winter static season I've been known to carry a nail around to discharge the static before touching anything that might shock me.  It's a trick I learned as a kid from my dad.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

ergative

The washing machine decided not to do its spin cycle this morning. Fortunately, when I set it to do just a spin cycle by itself it obliged, but I'm concerned that this might turn out to be the beginning of a larger pattern of noncompliance, rather than a one-off tantrum.

ab_grp

Apl68, I have heard of attaching a safety pin to clothing while wearing it for that purpose but had not heard of carrying a nail! I am out of date on my tetanus shots so would be concerned about that.  I already managed to cut my finger tip on one of the pins, which I didn't realize until I picked up a tomato slice.  Ouch.

Ergative, I hope this is a one-off! There is definitely a feeling of dread that comes when larger patterns of noncompliance appear to be afoot. 

FishProf

I guess this one truly does have to do with venting.  Have you heard about the safety pin trick to help reduce static cling from the dryer? Supposedly you attach a couple safety pins to a washcloth, towel, some piece of cloth, and the metal hitting metal inside the dryer should act as "mini lightning rods." 

Would an aluminum foil ball work better?

mamselle

Quote from: FishProf on October 27, 2021, 09:20:03 AM
I guess this one truly does have to do with venting.  Have you heard about the safety pin trick to help reduce static cling from the dryer? Supposedly you attach a couple safety pins to a washcloth, towel, some piece of cloth, and the metal hitting metal inside the dryer should act as "mini lightning rods." 

Is Al very conductive? I thought I remembered it wasn't....but I could be wrong.

It happened last year, once....

;--}

M.

ab_grp

That was another one of the suggestions I read about! But then I'd be worried that it would somehow become unraveled and throw bits of foil everywhere.  I was also thinking that maybe going back to the idea of pinning the safety pin more thoroughly into a bit of something fabric would work out better.  Maybe there was too much force when the pinned balls were zinging around the dryer. 

FishProf

Quote from: mamselle on October 27, 2021, 09:24:17 AM

Is Al very conductive? I thought I remembered it wasn't....but I could be wrong.

Yes, very (about 60% of copper).  Used in certain electrical wiring systems.