News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

ab_grp

Might as well add a +1 to the awws! And I hope he loves swimming!

Parasaurolophus

Children's books routinely conflate alligators and crocodiles. Also camels and dromedaries. And French ones conflate penguins and great auks.

That is all. (But it drives me to distraction.)
I know it's a genus.

jimbogumbo

Loved Mount Rainier and Olympic. two days is enough at Rainier if you aren't a mountaneerer, but not NEARLY enough at Olympic. I could have stayed there a week.

Also, just finished a lovely day in downtown Seattle. Contrary to what Tucker/Laura/Sean say it is not a dystopian nightmare.

Puget

Quote from: jimbogumbo on May 17, 2022, 07:10:11 PM
Loved Mount Rainier and Olympic. two days is enough at Rainier if you aren't a mountaneerer, but not NEARLY enough at Olympic. I could have stayed there a week.

Also, just finished a lovely day in downtown Seattle. Contrary to what Tucker/Laura/Sean say it is not a dystopian nightmare.

As you may have guessed from my moniker I grew up in that neck of the woods.

Two days is not nearly enough for Rainier (or "the mountain" as we call it)! There is so much beyond just the Paradise area most tourists go to (though that is certainly a fine area). You should go back in August when the wildflowers are blooming.

Olympic is also very special-- did you do coast, rainforest or both?

At any rate glad you enjoyed your visit. And really locals are fine with those sorts of people thinking it is a dystopian nightmare and staying away.

"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Puget on May 17, 2022, 07:26:11 PM

Two days is not nearly enough for Rainier (or "the mountain" as we call it)! There is so much beyond just the Paradise area most tourists go to (though that is certainly a fine area). You should go back in August when the wildflowers are blooming.

At any rate glad you enjoyed your visit. And really locals are fine with those sorts of people thinking it is a dystopian nightmare and staying away.

I figured:) Mostly rainforest. Went to Rialto, but by the time we got there it was really cold and rainy. I can'T really do tons of hiking. At Rainier we did a 7.5 mile at Rampart Ridge and that wipe me out.

apl68

Sounds like a great time!  I'd love to go see that region, but I live so very far away that I doubt I'll ever make it.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

jimbogumbo

I agree that four days would have been much better:) I absolutely want to go to the northern side to hike.

Any tips on North Cascades or Crater Lake?

Puget

Quote from: jimbogumbo on May 19, 2022, 12:24:09 PM

I agree that four days would have been much better:) I absolutely want to go to the northern side to hike.

Any tips on North Cascades or Crater Lake?

North Cascades is beautiful but very remote-- you would definitely need a longer trip, and it is more a backpacking destination. I haven't spent time at Crater Lake, though I really should some time (I no longer live nearby, so mostly just get back once or twice a year to visit my parents).

If you go again, I'd recommend the Sunrise area on the east side of Rainier (there are some shorter hikes that will still get you spectacular views), St. Helens (which blew 42 years ago yesterday), and more time in the coastal devision of Olympic NP (either Third Bleach or Cape Alva/Ozette). Port Townsend is also a great place to spend a day or two.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

The YouTube channel GeoHub has a good post on Mt. St. Helens (and some other recent updates, too, I think...).

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

I was reading a fluffy bit of historical fiction, and a character mentions leaving a bit on his plate for Miss Manners, and, Author Cat Sebastian, Judith Martin, aka Miss Manners, is alive and well, still writing her column with a child or grandchild. Was this poor research, or are you throwing a careless time-traveler into your book? Or is there something about Judith Martin that you know that we don't?

apl68

Quote from: ergative on May 19, 2022, 11:36:17 PM
I was reading a fluffy bit of historical fiction, and a character mentions leaving a bit on his plate for Miss Manners, and, Author Cat Sebastian, Judith Martin, aka Miss Manners, is alive and well, still writing her column with a child or grandchild. Was this poor research, or are you throwing a careless time-traveler into your book? Or is there something about Judith Martin that you know that we don't?

I've heard that in some families it was once considered polite not to devour one's entire meal, but to leave a leftover bit "for Mr. Manners/Miss Manners."  As opposed to the more common injunction to clean one's plate completely.  Maybe in some social backgrounds eating too heartily was considered a faux pas. 
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

glendower

If you consult Judith Martin's first Miss Manners book, you will see that she cites that leaving-food custom as the reason for choosing her pen name.

evil_physics_witchcraft

There's a place near me paying 90 cents/lb. for aluminum cans. Wow! We have bags and bags of them in the garage. Maybe it's time to cash in?

ergative

Quote from: glendower on May 20, 2022, 07:31:20 AM
If you consult Judith Martin's first Miss Manners book, you will see that she cites that leaving-food custom as the reason for choosing her pen name.

Hurrah! Excellent news--historical accuracy restored!

But, I must admit, I'm having difficulty giving up the idea of a time-traveling etiquette maven. This is a book I suddenly need in my life. Desperately.