RIP: To remember those lost to us, whether close or at large

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Norman Lear, at 101.

QuoteNorman Lear, Whose Comedies Changed the Face of TV, Is Dead at 101
As the producer of "All in the Family" and many other shows, Mr. Lear showed that it was possible to be topical, funny and immensely popular.

Langue_doc

statsgeek

My campus lost a student to suicide yesterday.  Not anyone I knew personally and it's still hitting me very hard. 

Langue_doc

AmLitHist

Actor Andre Braugher, aged 61.  Homicide: Life on the Streets is one of my all-time favorite t.v. series--he's brilliant in it.  Cancer sucks.

Parasaurolophus

Dennis Edney at 77, after struggling with dementia.

The guy was a fucking hero. He fought like the devil to get Omar Khadr out of Guantanamo, where he was tortured (as a child!), and then out of the maximum security prison he was transferred to in Edmonton. The Canadian government fought them every step of the way, and had popular opinion on its side for most of that time. After years of fighting, he got an official apology and a settlement from the Canadian government for its role in the kid's torture. When Khadr was finally released, he put him up in his own house.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

namazu

Peter Schickele, composer and animator of PDQ Bach, at age 88.  (NY Times obit)

Langue_doc

Norman Jewison

QuoteNorman Jewison, Filmmaker Who Spanned Genres, Is Dead at 97
His movies — from dramas to comedies and musicals — became magnets for Oscars, but he was best known for socially conscious films, like "In the Heat of the Night."

hmaria1609

Wow, what a career!

Last year I watched the documentary "Fiddler's Journey to the Big Screen" (2022) on Kanopy. The movie was filmed in Croatia.

hmaria1609

Charles Osgood, long time host of CBS Sunday Mornings and the "Osgood Files," at age 91.

Langue_doc

Chita Rivera.

QuoteChita Rivera, Electrifying Star of Broadway and Beyond, Is Dead at 91
Appearing in scores of stage productions, she dazzled audiences for nearly six decades, most memorably starring as Anita in "West Side Story" and Velma Kelly in "Chicago."