News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with pangram so far.  Yesterday I needed help from husband with agendum, gemmed, magnum, unengaged.  At least we had team QB.  I hate not getting a pangram! But I don't think I would have figured that out in a million years.  Maybe if magnum had occurred to me.  Congrats on your QBABY today, cathwen!

Congrats on getting the schmofficial 2fer! Wow! No luck for me.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Hold your praise, ab_grp! I got to QB, but only with SBB help for the last couple of words. Not QBABM, unfortunately! And it took me a good while to find the pangram.

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Almost QB. Don't recall yesterday's last word(s), but found gemmed early on by indiscriminately attaching the past tense suffix to see if it would stick.

Went birding--will post bird list later this afternoon.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwSBB, last word papillon. LB hints for roundups-saintly after 3fers and 2fer b4ss. Apparently there were 242 possible answers yesterday... and I couldn't find one of them on my own?

Oh well. Happy solving.

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QBwSBB for llano, which I should have gotten, and vanpool, which took me ages to think of despite clear hints on SBB. Today I'm at genius with both pangrams.

LB: I had standup-priorly. 242 possible answers? Wow! And I had trouble finding just one.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Past genius but only one pangram so far.  Yesterday we needed bee buddy for poplin.  I think I needed husband help for vanpool, pillion.

For LB I had roundups-staidly.  Yikes, 242 is a lot of possibilities! I also had trouble finding mine and was thrilled to do so.

Friend call in a bit but will try to get another 2fer today if I have time later.  A streak would be nice...

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

QB. Missed vanpool and pianola yesterday. I know I had a twofer, but will have to look for the scrap of paper I used to write down the words.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBsWBB - last word nighttime. LB got a nudge for quarkonium-mews. Oddly enough I found quark, women, noticed kinsmen was SS and didn't think of kinswomen. Gah.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Somewhere past genius with pangram so far.  Yesterday we needed bee buddy help with nightie, hitmen.  I know I also needed help with neighing. ! Husband got theming quickly, and that took me forever to figure out.  The reverse was true for nighttime.

For LB I got airquakes-snowman.  That 2fer is a mouthful, ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram (tricky) and above genius. Last word was eightieth--found theming by trying the suffix indiscriminately, as I often do.

I think I found a twofer, but can't recall what it was. Found a twofer today by again indiscriminately combining the remaining letters after finding a word that I liked. I have no idea what that word means!

Went looking for the killdeer yesterday morning, and there they were along the same shore, happily playing in the mud.

ab_grp, you're up early.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Langue_doc, I actually was up earlier than usual today, just because I couldn't get back to sleep.  But I also had time to pop on the computer earlier than usual.  I wish that meant better puzzle luck so far!

I just saw this article about Will Shortz returning to NPR Weekend Edition yesterday.  I had not heard of that show, but I guess it's something he has co-hosted weekly and has been absent from due to his stroke.  He sounds like he is recovering and continues to work hard at it.  https://laist.com/news/npr-puzzlemaster-will-shortz-returns-to-weekend-edition-after-stroke-disclosure-in-mar

Langue_doc

ab_grp, thanks for the link. I'm so glad to hear that Will Shortz is recovering.

Just found my scraps of paper with the LB solutions: winklers/squamous and standup/pylori for the previous day. Squamous sounded familiar so it might have featured in an earlier puzzle--I don't think I've encountered this word in any other context. Langue_doc, you need to do better than using scraps of paper for writing things down.

cathwen

Good evening!

Late with puzzles today, as Middle Daughter is visiting and I had a lot to do to get ready.

QBwSBB yesterday for ghee and ninth (gah!). Today I got to QB with SBB help.

LB: Lots of solutions today! I had winkers-squamous. I found one today fairly quickly.

MD usually comes with Grandson, but he is in France (Strasbourg) with his French class, staying with a French family. We had a very long chat with him today—he seems to be having a wonderful time, and doing well with his French. And it's wonderful to have MD all by herself—we had some great one-on-one time today, walking around our condo complex and chatting, while my husband napped.

Anyway—happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwHaHFA-GH (QB with Hint and Help From Av-Geek Husband) for nacelle. LB climbers-shorten.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB yesterday with SBB for helve and nacelle, although also I needed additional help from my husband for that one. Where do they learn these things? Today I have both pangrams and two words to go.

LB: I had chines-stromboli.

Happy puzzling!