The murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis, MN last Monday, May 25

Started by mamselle, May 31, 2020, 09:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 28, 2022, 04:28:36 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 28, 2022, 03:54:04 PM
Quote from: dismalist on April 28, 2022, 02:35:29 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on April 28, 2022, 02:22:06 PM
On the forum where I saw this posted we are in agreement that you can find similar things in any medium to large size police force in the US.

Of course, but are they Democratic Party run? That was my genuine surprise about Minneapolis, and my point.

I know the East Coast big cities north of the Potomac, plus Chicago, SF and LA are run by the Democratic Party. The others I don't know.

So, is unjustifiably killing Black males Democratic party racism or Democratic Party incompetence, or both?

If only it were so simple that a political party could end crime and police brutality.

So any time this happens in a Republican area you don't ascribe blame to the government there either I suppose.

Oh Marshy...really!?

Think it through, buddy.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on April 28, 2022, 02:35:29 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on April 28, 2022, 02:22:06 PM
On the forum where I saw this posted we are in agreement that you can find similar things in any medium to large size police force in the US.

Of course, but are they Democratic Party run? That was my genuine surprise about Minneapolis, and my point.

I know the East Coast big cities north of the Potomac, plus Chicago, SF and LA are run by the Democratic Party. The others I don't know.

So, is unjustifiably killing Black males Democratic party racism or Democratic Party incompetence, or both?

Neither? I think it is a US policing problem, no matter what the race of the person killed.

Istiblennius

Not just a US policing problem; it is a US gun problem. When anyone and everyone can be easily armed to the teeth the potential for overescalation just is so much more. I can't help but wonder how many of these events might be avoided if the police weren't worried that every citizen they encounter is likely to pull a gun on them. Because it is so easy for every citizen they encounter to have a gun regardless of race. Of course the usual conscious and subconscious biases that people have then complicate that by the assumptions around who is "more dangerous" but our willful refusal to acknowledge the role that the bizarre interpretation we have of the 2nd amendment is just so tragic.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Istiblennius on April 29, 2022, 08:25:11 AM
Not just a US policing problem; it is a US gun problem. When anyone and everyone can be easily armed to the teeth the potential for overescalation just is so much more. I can't help but wonder how many of these events might be avoided if the police weren't worried that every citizen they encounter is likely to pull a gun on them. Because it is so easy for every citizen they encounter to have a gun regardless of race. Of course the usual conscious and subconscious biases that people have then complicate that by the assumptions around who is "more dangerous" but our willful refusal to acknowledge the role that the bizarre interpretation we have of the 2nd amendment is just so tragic.

+1