News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Go Crimson

Started by kaysixteen, January 27, 2023, 09:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

What would happen if an actual, ahem, professor, did anything like this at the Best University in the World?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/01/27/sports/katey-stone-harvard-womens-hockey/?s_campaign=breakingnews:newsletter

Wahoo Redux

Paywalled.

Cut'n'paste the article.  No one every seems to come after The Fora when someone does this.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

foralurker

It's a long article. I used archive ph to snapshot it. Great tool to get to know.though newspapers have my sympathies, I can't subscribe to every one of them.

https://archive.ph/ByFhB

Also, that coach is a real piece of work. Good grief!

AmLitHist

She sounds like my HS P.E. teacher, who was trained by the devil himself.  Her minions on the various girls' sports teams liked her, but quite a few of us non-athletic and nerdy types got permanent doctor's excuses; I only took 1 1/2 years of the then state-mandated 4 years of P.E. (and spent those class periods working as a student librarian, instead).

There's no call for that kind of crap from a coach.

ciao_yall

Yikes. How on earth does she think that kind of behavior helps the team?

She sounds like my niece's current HS varsity soccer coach.

secundem_artem

I don't think I have ever seen a big time coach smile, let alone laugh.  I continue to be amazed the players put up with this abuse without just cold cocking the a$$hole screaming at them.  Do this as a coach and get a fat raise.  Do this as a faculty member and get a phone call from HR and the dean.  Just one more reason I have little love for college sports - although most of the athletes I've had over the years have been decent people.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

kaysixteen

All true, so my question remains, essentially, why does Harvard put up with this, indeed make excuses for her, and what would possibly be the case if such behavior had been committed by a professor?  I am especially puzzled by the coach's strongarming her *student*-athletes to prioritze team over academics, even to the point of blowing off labs and such....

Wahoo Redux

I don't think there is anything particularly unusual here.  College coaches are known for this.

kaysixteen

Sure, college coaches do this sort of thing all the time... at the Alabamas of the world.   What the hell is Harvard allowing it for, esp the part about encouraging the students to prioritze team over school, etc.?

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: kaysixteen on January 29, 2023, 08:18:31 PM
Sure, college coaches do this sort of thing all the time... at the Alabamas of the world.   What the hell is Harvard allowing it for, esp the part about encouraging the students to prioritze team over school, etc.?

Probably the same thing that all the other colleges which tolerate abusive coaches are doing-----hoping for a killer team.

little bongo

Yup, happens in the Ivies, too. There's a bit of Alabama everywhere.

kaysixteen

Do you think that Hahvahd will be, ahem, embarrassed enough by this to do something about it, not just wrt this one woman, but also the mentality she works under?   It really does not want to be classed with the Bamas of the world, right?