Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

stationary bike recommendation

Started by nebo113, May 13, 2020, 11:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Simple.  Inexpensive.  Suggestions?

Penna

I don't think it has the cheapest models, but I have been happy with the Diamondback Fitness brand.  I have a recumbent model from Diamondback that has lasted me years with no problems (with moderate use), and I just bought a "spinning" model from Diamondback last fall that seems to be good as well (though unfortunately I haven't used that one as much as I had hoped so far...hoping to change that this summer!)

dr_evil

An option that was recommended to me was to get a bicycle trainer since I already have a bike.  Basically, it's a set up to convert a regular bicycle to a stationary one.  I'm not sure if it's easier; it was recommended that I have a professional switch the tire over and, quite honestly, I'm avoiding going out right now since I'm in a high risk group.

mamselle

There are old threads on this in the previous incarnation of the forum; in fact the ancestor thread to this one had a number of discussions if someone wants to look for it...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

Craig's List likely has a few at very reasonable prices IF you can pick it up yourself!

They make excellent clothes hanging accessories! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Hibush

Quote from: clean on May 13, 2020, 09:24:17 PM
Craig's List likely has a few at very reasonable prices IF you can pick it up yourself!

They make excellent clothes hanging accessories!

You may even be able to trade one for a more compact clothes hanging accessory.

ohnoes

Quote from: dr_evil on May 13, 2020, 05:23:13 PM
An option that was recommended to me was to get a bicycle trainer since I already have a bike.  Basically, it's a set up to convert a regular bicycle to a stationary one.  I'm not sure if it's easier; it was recommended that I have a professional switch the tire over and, quite honestly, I'm avoiding going out right now since I'm in a high risk group.

This was my solution, too.  I got a solid rim-drive trainer for $100 about ten years ago, and it works on all the bikes I have.  It doesn't have the same feel as a stationary trainer, but it doesn't need any additional space and the price was perfect.

The tire switch is really easy if you have a quick release axle.

Myword

It might  be a metaphor that your life is going nowhere fast,
just spinning wheels.

People use them to hang their clothes.

Anselm

First, have you used them extensively before?  Many people buy new ones and then they just collect dust so I think people should buy used ones and then if they like it they can then pay for a nicer one.   I like the ones with the big fan that blows air onto the user and with arm exercise attachments. 
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

nebo113

Thanks to all.   I have a rowing machine which I very much like, but have a back issue that precludes its use.

Yes, stationary bike as metaphor!  Unfortunately, I live in the mountains, with narrow roads, and actually bike riding would be suicidal. 

However, twice since January, I have been in flatter terrain and ridden my bike there, and that bike stays in that location and does come back to my mountain home.

I have ridden stationary bikes, and while I prefer to be outside, at least in good weather, it is OK.

And given corono, I may not be able to buy one, used or new!