News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Inhale Thread !

Started by mamselle, June 14, 2019, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vkw10

The Orthodox Cathedral's Big Dinner and Country Kitchen Sale has returned to normal! My tummy is full of kibbe, ruz & yuknee, salad, cabbage rolls, hummus &pita, and baklava. My freezer is stocked with yuknee, kibbe, cabbage rolls, baklava, spanakopita, and assorted small treats. I toured the cathedral, listening to the priest's discourse on the iconography, and admiring the new stained glass. I was amazed once again at the incredible organization that goes into serving over 5000 meals on a single fall Saturday.

Next up is Autumn Art in the Park, then the synagogue's Deli Day, then the Classical School's Rhetoric & Debate Day. I'm so pleased to see these traditional fundraising events return.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

MarathonRunner

Lots to celebrate! Three papers recently accepted! FFP2 masks required on public transit, medical offices (including rehab and physiotherapy) - I never dropped mine. Bivalent booster on Thursday!

Tentative defence date for April 2023.

OneMoreYear

Much smaller inhale that MarathonRunner (Congrats MarathonRunner on your good news!), but I needed something good.

6 individual skills checks today (24 to go), and all 6 students knew how to do [tricky procedure most students mess-up during the skills check].  It is clear they have practiced.  I'll take it!

Harlow2

Quote from: MarathonRunner on October 11, 2022, 11:48:18 AM
Lots to celebrate! Three papers recently accepted! FFP2 masks required on public transit, medical offices (including rehab and physiotherapy) - I never dropped mine. Bivalent booster on Thursday!

Tentative defence date for April 2023.

Wow, MarathonRunner! That's great.

poiuy

Wow Marathonrunner!  So many great things to inhale on, and celebrate! Congratulations!

ergative

Because my brain works this way, I have been getting equal pleasure this morning from

1) The news that Bolsonaro is out
2) This babka, which I made over the weekend using my new stand mixer.

AmLitHist

Brace yourselves:

On Thursday, I FINALLY got the insurance settlement money from my car wreck (two months to the day that it got totaled).  Ye gods.

This afternoon, I'm going to pick up the car I've had waiting and financed all this time.  Yippee!

(I was ready to settle for a pair of mules and a small covered wagon, just to be done with the whole process.)

paultuttle

Quote from: AmLitHist on November 05, 2022, 11:21:55 AM
Brace yourselves:

On Thursday, I FINALLY got the insurance settlement money from my car wreck (two months to the day that it got totaled).  Ye gods.

This afternoon, I'm going to pick up the car I've had waiting and financed all this time.  Yippee!

(I was ready to settle for a pair of mules and a small covered wagon, just to be done with the whole process.)

How's the new car? I hope it's everything you'd expected and more!

AmLitHist

Quote from: paultuttle on November 07, 2022, 07:45:30 AM
Brace yourselves:

It is!  2019 Buick Encore with 34,000 miles, equipped with all the bells and whistles.  I'm like a teenager with her first car.  And while I'm so grateful that ALHS let me use his 2000 Blazer to drive to work, this rides SO much better for my achy old joints (plus, its gets 50% better mpg). 

ergative

I've got a big job that I'm collecting quotes for, and the contractor with the best communication, whose approach seems to be the most thorough, also seems to have the cheapest price, without being so far below the other ones to raise alarm bells.

mamselle

Despite pressures of time, health, backlogged writing tasks, students, life paperwork needs, and underlying worries about bringing things to a productive close...

A simple blog request on a topic I know about can still bring a smile to my face and cheer to my heart.

Never underestimate the value of friends to ones work.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Went for an eye exam, for the first time since 2016 or so. My current lenses are losing their coating and no one will replace them for me without an up-to-date prescription, the cads! Anyway, in the years since my eyes were last examined, technology has advanced to the point that they no longer need to dilate my pupils to examine my retina. They also no longer need to stick a needle on my numbed cornea, or blow a puff of air into my eye to measure retinal pressure. Now they count cells or something from the retinal scan to make sure they're not dying. Not only is this less unpleasant and messy (no eyedrops needed), but I can see and focus comfortably after the exam. Progress!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: AmLitHist on November 08, 2022, 06:50:50 AM
Quote from: paultuttle on November 07, 2022, 07:45:30 AM
Brace yourselves:

It is!  2019 Buick Encore with 34,000 miles, equipped with all the bells and whistles.  I'm like a teenager with her first car.  And while I'm so grateful that ALHS let me use his 2000 Blazer to drive to work, this rides SO much better for my achy old joints (plus, its gets 50% better mpg).

Great news!

AmLitHist

I just opened a package that came over the weekend, and for the first time since tearing my plantar fascia nearly a year ago, I now own a pair of shoes that doesn't hurt my foot. 

I seem to be on a roll recently.  I'll take it.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.