Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

November Research Thread

Started by Parasaurolophus, November 01, 2023, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

You know what to do.

November:

• Complete and submit solo translation project.
  • Translate a small chunk for the next co-translated project.

Stretch:

• Complete and submit another nearly-complete paper.
  • Make a start on a fresh book chapter.

Today, I'll do a bit on the solo project and I have page proofs to look at for a book review, and some contract stuff to look over.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

November goals:
  • Make progress on paper #1 with colleague - decide if/how to move forward
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleagues - it would be great to send it off to the next journal on the list, although the ball is largely in my colleague's court
  • Make significant progress on book chapter with colleague that has December due date
  • Make progress on my own book project

permanent imposter

I am excited that I am actually on-time to participate in a monthly thread for once. I don't seem to have as much going on as you guys.

Main goal: Complete rough draft of Article #1.

Secondary goal: Complete abstracts of Article #2 and #3.

Tertiary goal: Find out wtf is going on with Article #0 (#0 because it was submitted prior to my new job) and Review #0.

Try not to think about book manuscript feedback potentially being terrible.

darkstarrynight

Before I list my November goals, I had an epic few days so I must share:
I got an acceptance on the revised manuscript with my friend on the fun commentary piece and it will come out before the end of the year!
I submitted the chapter revision yesterday.
I presented on my book topics to another institution today which was invited.
Our grant team submitted our proposal today!

November Goals
  • Hopefully get revise decision on chapter with spouse so we can get our first publication together
  • Get writing on the book manuscript, at least finish chapter 1 by the end of the month.
  • Revisit rejected manuscript with former student and update to submit to target journal

Parasaurolophus

Fingers crossed for you, permanent imposter!

Congratulations darkstarrynight! Well done!

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 01, 2023, 09:24:24 AMToday, I'll do a bit on the solo project and I have page proofs to look at for a book review, and some contract stuff to look over.

Last figure written up, two other figures fixed up for a total of ~1200 words today. Also proofed the review and signed the contract stuff.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Today, it's mostly pruning and smoothing of the intro. I'll have to decide whether a couple other issues merit sections--probably not, at this stage. I can always add them later.

Then I should mark this pile of AI essays.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 02, 2023, 09:14:43 AMToday, it's mostly pruning and smoothing of the intro. I'll have to decide whether a couple other issues merit sections--probably not, at this stage. I can always add them later.

Then I should mark this pile of AI essays.

All done fiddling with the translation, and the proposal is nearly ready.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Not too much time today, so I'll just work on the proposal.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Yesterday I had my "casual research conversation" about my sabbatical project to my college colleagues. The turnout was pretty good and it was fun to talk about my work. The library folks who helped me also came and answered some questions about the support and technology they provided me.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 01, 2023, 12:04:53 PMNovember goals:
  • Make progress on paper #1 with colleague - decide if/how to move forward
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleagues - it would be great to send it off to the next journal on the list, although the ball is largely in my colleague's court
  • Make significant progress on book chapter with colleague that has December due date
  • Make progress on my own book project

I made some great progress on paper #1 over the last few days. I sent it to my coauthor today and I am cautiously optimistic that we will get it out the door sooner than later (not going to set myself up for disappointment by saying that we submit it this month, but maybe by the end of the year if I can get my often cautious coauthor to agree).

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 03, 2023, 08:14:29 AMNot too much time today, so I'll just work on the proposal.

Done. Will send it tomorrow!
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I'll send the proposal today, but don't anticipate being able to do much else.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 04, 2023, 10:46:09 AMI'll send the proposal today, but don't anticipate being able to do much else.

Did that. Got the acceptance email for a paper that was previously conditionally accepted, so that's nice.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Lots of marking today, but I'll start work on translating a chunk of Translated Book 3 I took from my co-translator.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 05, 2023, 07:32:05 AMLots of marking today, but I'll start work on translating a chunk of Translated Book 3 I took from my co-translator.

Managed a bit, but was once again royally sabotaged. I feel like I haven't had my full, blocked off twice-a-week three-hour work period in, like, at least a month. Ugh.
I know it's a genus.