News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

November Research Thread

Started by Parasaurolophus, November 01, 2023, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Today I'll translate a couple of pages from that chunk, then mark papers.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 06, 2023, 07:31:17 AMToday I'll translate a couple of pages from that chunk, then mark papers.

Did that. Not enough marking, but there's only so much I have time to do.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

More of the same today: a small bit of translation, a lot of marking.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 07, 2023, 09:14:22 AMMore of the same today: a small bit of translation, a lot of marking.

Also managed to read two articles.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quick bit of translating (very close to done--should finish tomorrow), lots more grading.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Spouse and I got a revise decision on our chapter. I find the reviewer's comments to be frustrating and the editor did not write anything besides that we need to revise the chapter for consideration. The reviewer seems out of touch with the book's topic and chapter requirements, so I am being a little defensive in my responses. The reviewer complained our writing was easy to read so it is not scholarly (I did not know we had to make it painful to read to qualify as academic writing). The reviewer snarked about our formatting and citation style (of which I am an expert and lead workshops on this, and there is nothing wrong with it in the manuscript). Also, the editor said the revision is due "11/31" which is a date that does not exist. AHHHHHHH! /end rant

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 01, 2023, 12:04:53 PMNovember goals:
  • Make progress on paper #1 with colleague - decide if/how to move forward
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleagues - it would be great to send it off to the next journal on the list, although the ball is largely in my colleague's court
  • Make significant progress on book chapter with colleague that has December due date
  • Make progress on my own book project

I've made pretty good progress this week on the book chapter. We have a direction and the data analysis is looking good enough. I spent the morning filling in my parts of the text and should be ready to hand it on to my coauthor by tomorrow afternoon/evening. In the meantime, teaching duty calls...

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 08, 2023, 08:26:25 AMQuick bit of translating (very close to done--should finish tomorrow), lots more grading.

Finished all my marking!

I also finished translating that chunk I took over from my friend, although I'll take a couple of days to check it over and furnish the notes.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on November 01, 2023, 05:49:50 PMNovember Goals
  • Hopefully get revise decision on chapter with spouse so we can get our first publication together
  • Get writing on the book manuscript, at least finish chapter 1 by the end of the month.
  • Revisit rejected manuscript with former student and update to submit to target journal

Spouse and I got all revisions done and submitted the manuscript last night. I am trying to get back to the rejected manuscript before the week ends.

Parasaurolophus

Not sure about today. I suppose I might turn to the paper I want to expand and then send out again.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 09, 2023, 09:42:52 AMNot sure about today. I suppose I might turn to the paper I want to expand and then send out again.

Didn't have much time, and wasted what I had. Shrug. Tomorrow, then.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 01, 2023, 12:04:53 PMNovember goals:
  • Make progress on paper #1 with colleague - decide if/how to move forward
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleagues - it would be great to send it off to the next journal on the list, although the ball is largely in my colleague's court
  • Make significant progress on book chapter with colleague that has December due date
  • Make progress on my own book project

Another day of solid progress on paper #1 and the book chapter. I also put my RA to work on something new related to my book project, so there is some degree of progress being made there as well.

My wife has tomorrow off, so I'm going to do the same. I plan to come back to all of this with fresh mental legs on Monday.

Parasaurolophus

Today, I'll work on that paper. And maybe start double-checking and tidying the last bit I translated.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 10, 2023, 07:35:10 AMToday, I'll work on that paper. And maybe start double-checking and tidying the last bit I translated.

500 words, all checked, nearly all tidied.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

The power's out, and has been since the wee hours, so I expect I won't do anything today.
I know it's a genus.