Main Menu

January Research Thread

Started by Parasaurolophus, January 01, 2024, 09:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: darkstarrynight on January 24, 2024, 11:31:38 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on January 24, 2024, 08:29:42 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on January 01, 2024, 10:15:25 AMJanuary goals:
  • Make progress on paper #1 with colleagues - should be submittable soon, but ball is in colleague's court
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleagues - ball is in colleague's court
  • Make progress on paper #3 with colleague - R&R, ball is in my court
  • Make progress on paper #4 - R&R
  • Make progress on book project #1
  • Make progress on book project #2 with colleague

I have submitted paper #4, so crossing it off my list.

We have also been offered a book contract for book project #2. So today I will work on giving the publisher some additional info they need to get the ball rolling on that and then, as time permits, I will focus on paper #3, which needs three to five more hours of my attention before I can send it to my co-author to get it temporarily off my plate.

Congratulations!!!

Thank you! We're very pleased.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 24, 2024, 07:51:33 AMToday, on the commute: acceptance formatting and reading for the blurb I have to provide.

Formatted and sent. Blurb reading started.

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on January 24, 2024, 08:29:42 AMWe have also been offered a book contract for book project #2.

Oh, excellent! Well done!
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 24, 2024, 05:12:15 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 24, 2024, 07:51:33 AMToday, on the commute: acceptance formatting and reading for the blurb I have to provide.

Formatted and sent. Blurb reading started.

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on January 24, 2024, 08:29:42 AMWe have also been offered a book contract for book project #2.

Oh, excellent! Well done!

Thank you!

Parasaurolophus

Gonna make small tweaks to my super-rejected paper. Might even send it back out today.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 25, 2024, 08:01:02 AMGonna make small tweaks to my super-rejected paper. Might even send it back out today.

Still have to cut 241 words. I guess that shouldn't be too hard.
I know it's a genus.

Wahoo Redux

I asked for an extra 2 weeks.  The editor was fine with it.  Also gave me a higher word ceiling.  Trying to work in secondary sources.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Parasaurolophus

Gonna cut those words from the prize paper, and send it in. After that... I guess I'll read for the blurbing.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 26, 2024, 07:56:02 AMGonna cut those words from the prize paper, and send it in. After that... I guess I'll read for the blurbing.

Cut, sent, and read.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

I was in the library much of the day yesterday with a writing buddy. Instead of forcing myself to write in a disorganized manner, I instead started to organize the literature I am drawing from for my book by chapter so I can focus on that. I added a little but to chapter 1 but realized I should revisit that chapter after writing the rest of the book. I hope this organizing process helps me get rolling.

Parasaurolophus

Not much time for anything today, just a spot of reading.

Doesn't look like I'll manage to finish that book chapter this month, what with all the other more pressing things. Oh well.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 27, 2024, 01:54:32 PMNot much time for anything today, just a spot of reading.

Did my tiny bit.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Another day of only a very tiny bit. I have a ton less time this semester, which is annoying. But at least I'll have a proper summer.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on January 01, 2024, 10:15:25 AMJanuary goals:
  • Make progress on paper #1 with colleagues - should be submittable soon, but ball is in colleague's court
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleagues - ball is in colleague's court
  • Make progress on paper #3 with colleague - R&R, ball is in colleague's court
  • Make progress on paper #4 - R&R
  • Make progress on book project #1
  • Make progress on book project #2 with colleague

After working all of the last several weeks and a bit today, paper #3 is off my desk and on the desk of my coauthor. Depending on his schedule, we could theoretically send it off by the end of February.

This week, I need to complete and submit a grant application and do a deeper dive on funding sources to support my sabbatical. I'll also work a bit on book project #2 as time permits - emailing some details to the editor and perhaps getting the ball rolling on the outlining and writing side.

Parasaurolophus

Not sure what time I'll have today. It should be a small chunk, at least. In which case I'll make a start on adding hose 10k words and brainstorming a blurb.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 29, 2024, 09:14:43 AMNot sure what time I'll have today. It should be a small chunk, at least. In which case I'll make a start on adding hose 10k words and brainstorming a blurb.

Managed to dash out 900 words, which is a respectable start, especially given how little time I had.
I know it's a genus.